Hide Adverts
Daniel.Potts

Help Protect Bedlington's Smithy/stable

Hi,

I am asking for support from local Northumberland residents, particularly in Bedlington.

There is a planning application in the process of being approved to demolish a part of Bedlington's history, although it is only a small part of the history, there isn't a great deal left in Bedlington now.

The building was former Smithy/Stable in the 1960's however the building itself was constructed before that time.

As you can see from the pictures, the building isn't in the best shape by any means, but it is hardly at risk of collapsing.

I have summited an Application to English Heritage to get the building listed, however it was rejected within two days, which we believe is a direct result of other parties and local authorises interfering with the process in order to hurry the planning application through. I have appealed today against the decision, so fingers crossed we do get a more positive result.

There have also been sightings of Red Squirrels, Bats, Owls and Foxes seen on the site however these seem to be being disregarded. (Photo of fox on land)

Please make an objection/comment on the Northumberland County Council planning system and help us protect this heritage before it is too late:

http://publicaccess....ype=Application

post-3105-0-22237900-1383993844_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-04016500-1383993845_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-99373700-1383993845_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-81777400-1383993846_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-70642500-1383993847_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-87779500-1383993848_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-93299800-1383993849_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-99070500-1383993850_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-10298300-1383993852_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-28154500-1383993853_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-80759900-1383993904_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-00183700-1383993906_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-24306600-1383993907_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-53836000-1383993908_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-42478500-1383993909_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-83293800-1383993915_thumb.jp

Hi Daniel, excuse my ignorance but where exactly is this Smithy Stable? I know it says South West of 21 Front Street but what are the nearest buildings to it? I can't visualise it in my mind!

Daniel, where is this please? I don't recognise it!

From reading the planning comments, this appears to be behind Millfield Court.

It could well be significant to our History.

Another site for investigation, not far from The Old Dun Cow.

Behind what was the Main Coop Building in our youthful days.

A place to buy clothes and all.

In other words very central.

Hi Daniel, excuse my ignorance but where exactly is this Smithy Stable? I know it says South West of 21 Front Street but what are the nearest buildings to it? I can't visualise it in my mind!

Hiya,

Sorry for the lack of replies, I thought i would get emails notifying of messages but I haven't, will have to keep an eye on this now :)

Yes you are all correct, it is behind the Black Bull pub in Bedlington, It is a beautiful building that we really want to save, we don't want to see it crumble and fall to bits like the old school has.

I am only 21, but I am honestly shocked at the lack of interest from Planning and Conservation about this land, Red Squirrels are on the site now, we have photo evidence.

Apologies in advance for some of the spelling and grammer (not my strong point)

If red squirrels are there, they are protected, get onto that lot at Plessey woods and they may get involved.

Thanks!!!! I will do tomorrow, we have been in touch with The Red Squirrel Survival Trust on Friday, who hopefully will get someone out to investigate.

That Google location (I think) puts it in the old Patterson's farm site. I've posted before (probably in History Hollow) about the Patterson's haulage business and farm there; I was a friend of the son in the 60s and played in the yard and fields there.

Anyone have any idea how to get bats into the building that will stop them.

Also this issue is on the agenda of West Bedlington Town Council on the 14/11/2013 under planning and I must say will be vote against the application for a number of reasons, hopefully the other Town Councillors will do the same and that will mean a letter of objection from West Bedlington Town Council.

Daniel,

A fine sentiment for what appears to be a fascinating old building; I do have a couple of concerns, however: firstly, what do you intend to do with the building should you secure its future? Also, who will pay for the upkeep or restoration, should either be necessary? Is this building easy to access, and will the public be able to visit it? I'm not sure the presence of Red Squirrels will hold much water as, despite their relative rarity in much of the country, they are widespread around here. Good luck with your attempts, and any information on what you intend for the future would be interesting.

Anyone have any idea how to get bats into the building that will stop them.

Also this issue is on the agenda of West Bedlington Town Council on the 14/11/2013 under planning and I must say will be vote against the application for a number of reasons, hopefully the other Town Councillors will do the same and that will mean a letter of objection from West Bedlington Town Council.

I don't think we need, to there are bats on site, however NCC are just plain ignoring the information we send them as they have an ecology report done in August 2012 which says there are no bats on site. (Suspicious)

We all hope so too, not only is there so many issues with the actual plans, there are so many issues with boundaries, access and fire access (although this has been passed by NCC Fire, with an 'emergency pathway' from Towers Close).

Daniel,

A fine sentiment for what appears to be a fascinating old building; I do have a couple of concerns, however: firstly, what do you intend to do with the building should you secure its future? Also, who will pay for the upkeep or restoration, should either be necessary? Is this building easy to access, and will the public be able to visit it? I'm not sure the presence of Red Squirrels will hold much water as, despite their relative rarity in much of the country, they are widespread around here. Good luck with your attempts, and any information on what you intend for the future would be interesting.

Hi there, My short term and immediate plan is to stop the building being demolished, as once it has gone, it has gone and can't be replaced. Long term plan is to create a Trust to apply for Lottery and Heritage Grants to Purchase the land and restore the site back to it's former glory. The site is accessible from 21 front street east, by foot or by a very very small car (smaller than a smart car), however this is not a public highway so would have to be agreed with Mrs Mather and her Family before any work starts restoring the site.

Red Squirrels are protected by law, and NCC, natural England and various trusts are now aware of their presence on site. (Lovely Picture attached of a red squirrel caught on camera approximately two foot away from the site)

Natural England: "Red squirrels and their resting places are fully protected in Britain, it is an offence to deliberately, capture, injure or kill them or to damage, destroy or obstruct their breeding or resting places. Finally it is an offence to disturb them in their breeding or resting places."

post-3105-0-93059800-1384169598_thumb.jp

Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your quest.

Wouldnt it be nice to have a building in Bedlington where people could visit and learn about the history of Bedlington, our own little museum, I couldnt think of a better place to have it. yes i know im dreaming, but sometimes dreams come true. Good luck Danial my fingers are crossed.

I don't think we need, to there are bats on site, however NCC are just plain ignoring the information we send them as they have an ecology report done in August 2012 which says there are no bats on site. (Suspicious)

At the end of the day if there are Bats on site or in the building they will not be able to remove or kill the bats as it is an offense to do so and i'm sure you will be keeping your eyes open and contacting the right people if you see anything like this happen.

Wouldnt it be nice to have a building in Bedlington where people could visit and learn about the history of Bedlington, our own little museum, I couldnt think of a better place to have it. yes i know im dreaming, but sometimes dreams come true. Good luck Danial my fingers are crossed.

That's the plan :) and I too hope I can pull it off, once and if I can get all this sorted, I will set up the trust and start the ball rolling. Bring more tourists in to Bedlington!!!! Which is what we need.

The stable was on my Grandpa's land and used by him when he had his joinery and wheelwright workshops there.

He also used to sharpen the butchers saws on a Friday for the co-op next door, and built the robe closets in St Cuthberts vestry.

The stable lies within Bedlington Conservation area although that seems to mean nothing to planners these days.

Please, good folk of Bedders, support Daniel who is

part of a local community working together as neighbours against a planning travesty.

The stable was on my Grandpa's land and used by him when he had his joinery and wheelwright workshops there.

He also used to sharpen the butchers saws on a Friday for the co-op next door, and built the robe closets in St Cuthberts vestry.

The stable lies within Bedlington Conservation area although that seems to mean nothing to planners these days.

Please, good folk of Bedders, support Daniel who is

part of a local community working together as neighbours against a planning travesty.

Just a quick question, is this the Viv, my good friend Viv? (I am, for the record, Deaf Steve!)

I will email Viv for you, and ask if she can reply to you Steve & Symptoms.

I am going to try and come to the Meeting on Thursday, however I do Yoga on that day, so I need to check the times (need to relax with all the hassle of this planning stuff) :)

Hopefully see some of you soon, and please don't forget to get in touch with you local councillors, they might not be able to reply to your questions, but you can make them aware of any issues you have, any emails or contact you make with anyone though could I ask you to post it on the Planning System too, just so there is more evidence seen by planning, if you don't have time to create logins ect, just ask me and I will post it on your behalf.

To all in Bedlington and all that are helping, Thank You.

P.S. Bedlington Town Council, if you are responsible for the Christmas Lights, and Tree... I honestly can't wait to see the place lit up *Round of Applause* , it is going to look beautiful, it is lovely to see Bedlington collecting together as one big community and putting equality and diversity differences aside, and Christmas is no better time to do it!

Hi Dan,

Thanks, it's not necessary, I will drop Viv a line as it's all clicked into place now!

Another quick question Viv, was I correct when I suggested it was part of Patterson's 1960s site?

No Symptom, my grandparents had the cottage and land behind at the front between the Bull and

the Locke Hall

that was demolished in the 60's following

their deaths and my parents

built their house on

the site.

Pattersons hauliers were

further up behind Vicarage Tce.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Hide Adverts

• Latest News

• Bedlington darts ace Chris Dobey reached his first ever European Tour final on Sunday to all but secure his place in next month's World Matchplay.
      Dobey was beaten 8-3 by Dave Chisnall in the final of the Danish Darts Open at Copenhagen's Brondby Hallen but enjoyed a superb run over the three-day competition.
      The 29-year-old saw off Steve West, Ricky Evans, former World Championship finalist Kirk Shepherd, and Jose de Sousa before beating two-time major champion Gerwyn Price in the semi-finals to reach his first big-stage final.
      'Hollywood' ran out of steam in the final, though, and despite taking a 2-0 lead, he won just one of the next nine legs as Chisnall secured his first European Tour title since 2013.
      Dobey's run over the weekend now means he is all but assured of a World Matchplay debut next month, following on from his debut in the Premier League earlier this year.
      The World Matchplay is widely considered the second most prestigious major in the darts calendar after the World Championships and after narrowly missing out on qualification for each of the last two years Dobey is delighted he has secured a long overdue debut in the competion.

• Similar Content

• By David Stanyer
      Live music at the Market Tavern in Bedlington every Tuesday evening from 8pm
      * Guest hosts each week
      * Pie pea and a pint supper only £5 - Pies supplied from D.J Lynn & Son Buchers
      * Vinyl swap shop - bring along your records and swap and sell with others
      * Guitar accessories on sale from Fretmarks music (was Dennis Todds music) 

• By John White
      Just found out that sadly, Michael passed away recently.

A couple of years ago Adrian & I had the great pleasure to chat him on Synergy Drive:

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/audioarchive.html/_/michael-goonan-northumbrian-singer-landscape-photographer-r8
    • By johndawsonjune1955
      Sixtownships have the Geordie Dictionary. It is worth reading as when we look how we talk around our area, a lot of the words are used by us. We are certainly not Geordies, but our vocabulary is classed as Pitmatic.
      I will get it online as Mark types it up. So just hang in there until its complete.
      A
      A. A preposition - on. A this side - on this side.
      A. A verb. Aa wad a thowt se - I would have thought so.
      AA. Pronoun of the first person. Aa divvin'knaa - I do not know. In local works it is usually spelt aw.
      AA. All. Thor aa' gyen - They are all gone. l(s aa ower-It's all over.
      AA. To owe. Aa aa nowt - I owe nothing.
      ABACKA BEYONT. Far away. He lives abacka beyont.
      AABUT. Almost - ailbut.
      AAD. Old. An aad wife - an old woman. Canny aad soul - nice old soul. OwId is another form of the word.
      AA'D. I had. Aa'd better gan canny - I had better be careful. AA'D. I would. Aa'd a been there mesel - I would have been there myself.
      AAD-FASHINT. Old fashioned. AAFUL. Awful. She set off the aafulest shrieks.
      AAKWAAD. Awkward.
      AAL. All. Aal reet - all right.
      AAN. Own. Me aan fireside.
      AA WARND. I suppose. Aa-warnd ye think yorsel' clivvor?. I suppose you think yourself clever.
      ABLEEZE. On fire.
      ADIT. Horizontal gallery for draining a mine.
      AFEARD. Afraid. Thor's nowt to be afeared on. There's nothing to be afraid of.
      AGYEN. Again.
      AHAD. Hold. Get ahad on 't. Get a hold on it.
      AHINT. Behind. "There was a man following ahint to pick up the fish that were killed". S. Oliver's Rambles in Northumberland, 1835. Come in ahint was the drover's cry to his dog.
      AMANG. Among.
      AMAIN. Without check. When a set of waggons breaks loose they are said to run amain.
      ARGIE. To argue. Divvent argie. Don't argue. Also the phrase argyin' the toss. Till, sae ill? and sae tast as ye gae, ae man, I drawn twae."
      ARSE. Backside. An arse-loop was a wide loop in the rope by which a man was supported when repairing a pit-shaft.
      ASSAY. I say. Assay, what are ye dein there?
      ATWIX. Between.
      Ax. Ask. Ax wor lass. Ask my wife.
      AYE. Yes. A word continually used - why aye - Of course.
      AYONT. Behind. See Hexham proverb "He comes from Hexham Green, and that's ten miles ayont Hell."

B.
      BAAD. Ill.
      BAAL. A ball. A stottin-baal - a bouncing ball. A clooty ball -a ball made of rags.
      BACK END. A term for autumn.
      BACK-SHIFT. There are two shifts normally worked down the pit. The first is the fore-shift, the second is the back-shift.
      BASTE. To thrash. Aa'll gie ye sk a byestin' as ye nivver got i' yor life. A baster ball was one made of paper. It was attached to string and could be used to attack other children.
      BAT. A blow. A bat i' the feyce. A blow in the face. BATTER. A drinking bout. He's on the batter agyen. In recent years it refers to prostitution. She's on the batter.
      BAY. An enclosure in outdoor children's games. Usually a place of safety. Thoo canna catch me. noo aa's in the bay.
      BEAK. The nose.
      BECK. A small stream, The name occurs sixty-three times in Durham but not in Northumberland (Wansbeck is not an exception.)
      BED-GOON. A bed gown and also a loose jacket worn by women in the harvest field. Later applied to any loose working garment worn by women. Hor bedgoon is laelock. - Her jacket is lilac in colour. (Cushie Butterfield).
      BEGOX. By God.
      BEHINT. Behind (but ahint is commoner).
      BELAA. Below.
      BELLYFLAPPER. A blow on the stomach by landing flat when diving into the water.
      BELLY-TIMMER. Food. This was the kind 0'belly-timmer, For myeken pitmen strang and tuiff Pitman's Pay.
      BET. Bruised by heavy walking. A bet foot.
      BEUK. A book.
      BEYUT. To boot. Something additional paid in a case of barter. For instance in bartering horses one will say "I will give you a pound te beyut" i.e. a pound extra.
      BID. To invite or command. Usually applied to a funeral or wedding so that a refusal was considered an insult. Dee as yer bid - Do what your told. Those who went round with the invitations were called bidders.
      BIDE. Wait. Bide heor. Wait here. Abide. Aa canna bide yon chap. Stay. Bide a bit.
      BIGG. Barley. Barley was once sold in Newcastle Bigg Market. BIGGIN. A building. Hence the place called Newbiggin. Also used in pits for a built up pillar of stones.
      BILE. A boil. Me bile's borst.
      BILLY. A companion. Ye silly billy is a friendly term.
      BIN. Hoo bin ye the day. How are you today.
      BINDIN. A term used when keelmen or pitmen contracted to work for a long period. usually a year.
      BING. A measure for lead. 8 cwts.
      BIRKIE. A smart fellow. Usually not an offensive term
      BITCH. To spoil some work. Ye've myed a bitch on't. You have spoilt it.
      BLAA. Breath. Get yor blaa. Rest till your breath comes back.
      BLAA. To blow. Blaa the leet oot Blow out the light.
      BLAA OOT. A "blow out", a drinking bout.
      BLABB. To talk loosely. He'll blabber and taak all neet. Hence the term blabber.
      BLACK-DAM. Carbonic acid gas sometimes encountered in pits.
      BLACK DIAMONDS. Coal.
      BLACKEY. The blackbird.
      BLACK PUDDEN. A food made of blood, suet, and herbs stuffed into the intestines of a pig or sheep. Brockett (1846) tells us, "This savoury and piquant delicacy is a standing dish among~ the people of the North."
      BLAIR. The bairns were blain'n'.
      BLASH. Any weak drink. Clarty Blash tea - weak tea. Their streets are like wors - brave and blashy. T. Thompson, Canny Newcastle.
      BLATHER. To talk nonsense. He jawed a heap of blather. He talked a load of nonsense.
      BLATHER SKITE. One who talks aimlessly.
      BLEB. A blister.
      BLEEZER. A metal sheet, to blow up a fire by increasing the draught.
      BLOGGED. Blocked. Refers to spouts and pipes.
      BLOOD ALLEY. A boy's marble, with blue or red lines.
      BODY. A person. She's a canny aad body.
      BOGIE. A small, low, four-wheeled cart. Often used by children for play. "In Dean Street, when carts or bogies came down, the noise made one's heart glad, one's lugs fit to strain," Gilchrist. 1835.
      BOILEY. Milk and bread boiled.
      BONDAGER. A Northumbrian word to describe a female field-worker whom the "hind" had to supply when he contracted to work for a farmer.
      BONE. To interrogate.
      BONNY. Good looking. But is usually used like "canny" to describe character as well as looks. A bonny bairn, a good looking child. A bonny singer, an accomplished singer. Sometimes it is used ironically to describe the opposite, a bonny mess; thor's a bonny game gaan on. The old song says: "My bonny keel laddie. my canny keel laddie."
      BOODY. A piece of broken pot. Bus 0' boodies.
      BOOL. Bowl. To play at boolin, a game popular in the north also means to bowl along as in bool your hoop.
      BOOZE. Drink. He's on the booze - he's on a drinking bout.
      BORD. A bird. Today it is slang for a girl.
      BORN. In Northumberland means a burn or large stream. See Ouseburn, Newcastle.
      BORST. Burst.
      BOWK. To belch.
      BOWLD. Bold.
      BRAN NEW. Brand new, quite new.
      BRANKS. A bridle to gag nagging women especially used in Newcastle. "The branks, a kind of brake is here, Wor faithers when a' else was vain, compelled the noisy jades to weer. Where're their clappers rain amain." Thomas Wilson.
      BRASS. Money.
      BRAT. A disagreeable child.
      BRAY. To beat.
      BRAZEN. Impudent, shameless. She's a brazen hussy.
      BREED. Bread.
      BREEKS. Trousers. A bran new coat, but aad breeks. A new coat but old trousers.
      BREWSTER. Brewer. Hence the Brewster Sessions where publicans apply for their licenses.
      BROCK. Badger.
      BROON. Brown.
      BUBBLE. To weep. Give ower bubblin' - Stop crying.
      BUBBLY JOCK. Turkey cock. Probably so called from the wattles hanging down his neck.
      BUFF. The bare skin. Stripped to the buff.
      BUGGER. A rough term of affection in the North. A canny aad bugger.
      BULLETS. Sweets. So called from the shape of a bullet. The best known were black bullets. still manufactured. Sells bullets and claggum for bairns. Wilson's Songs, 1890.
      BULLY. A brother, comrade. The crew of a keel were called bullies.
      BUM. Buttocks.
      BUMMLER BOX. A small house.
      BUMMLER. A bee.
      BUMS. Bailiffs who distrain. Some times called a bum bailiff from the practice of touching the debtor on the back.
      BUSS. A kiss.
      BUT AND BEN. Outside and inside. Refers to two-roomed houses with an outer and inner room.
      BUZZEMS. Besoms or brooms made of twigs. The song Buy Broom Buzzems was made famous by William Pui'vis (Blind Willie) born in Newcastle about 1752.
      BYEUT. Boot. A byeut i' the hint-end. A kick in the backside.
      BUM. Buttocks.
      BUMMLER BOX. A small house.
      BUMMLER. A bee.
      BUMS. Bailiffs who distrain. Some times called a bum bailiff from the practice of touching the debtor on the back.
      BUSS. A kiss.
      BUT AND BEN. Outside and inside. Refers to two-roomed houses with an outer and inner room.
      BUZZEMS. Besoms or brooms made of twigs. The song Buy Broom Buzzems was made famous by William Pui'vis (Blind Willie) born in Newcastle about 1752.
      BYEUT. Boot. A byeut i' the hint-end. A kick in the backside.
      Will continue with the letter C
      Just waiting on Mark typing it up.

• By johndawsonjune1955
      This is a story of an interesting coincidence. The other day we were discussing World War II. In the bitter struggle of 1914-18 and in wars long before that, the men of Bedlington did their part in the bitter battles. To see if we could find anything which might throw some light on this reference to the wars beyond 1914-18, I looked into the groups records and there was the interesting coincidence facing me - an account of four soldier sons of Mr. Will Corby, a sexton, of Bedlington. Anyone related to this family ? Just thought the forum members would find this interesting and post it.
      All four sons, Thomas, George, Robert and William, served with the Duke of Wellington's forces which fought the army of Napoleon in the Peninsular War (1808-1814)
      A member of the gallant 42nd, or Highland Watch, Thomas was with Sir John Moore in the celebrated retreat of Corunna, but was mortally wounded in a later action at Burgos, in Spain.
      George Corby took part in most of the Spanish campaigns without injury. After peace he went with his regiment to the West Indies, where he remained his appointed time, but on his passage home he fell ill and died.
      Robert, who was in the 2nd Foot, or Queen's Regiment, also shared in the retreat of Corunna. He held on grimly till Corunna was reached, but at the last stage of that terrible night march from Lugo proved more than he, and many others, could stand. A severe storm of wind and rain, mixed with sleet, burst upon the troops, and it was stated that Robert died from sheer fatigue.
      As a result of his health failing, William was discharged from the Army, so that he was the only one of these four Bedlington brothers who lived to return to his native heath.
      On further research we find that Mr. Will Corby had a fifth son, John, who, however, lost a leg in his youth. John was never heard to bemoan the loss of his limb, except on the ground that the misfortune had prevented him joining the Army.
  • Latest Topics