80S Classic

keith lockey

Decent playing technique (note arched wrist and firm thumb on neck back) but poor singing. Like many of the old guys we see who've been invited onto places like Jules Holland's show his voice is weedy and he misses plenty of notes. The exception to this observation was a recent guest Eric Burdon ... goodness, he could still belt-out the blues; obviously, Tom Jones still 'has it' when he sings the blues.

Decent playing technique (note arched wrist and firm thumb on neck back) but poor singing. Like many of the old guys we see who've been invited onto places like Jules Holland's show his voice is weedy and he misses plenty of notes. The exception to this observation was a recent guest Eric Burdon ... goodness, he could still belt-out the blues; obviously, Tom Jones still 'has it' when he sings the blues.

Finger-picking, too, that always impresses me. As much as I try it I still can't get anywhere as good as I would like, so I still use a plectrum. I am thinking of getting a keyboard this Christmas. My friend has an upright piano and whenever I am at her house I have a tinkle of the ivories. But I was impressed with the slowed down version of the above song. It makes you wonder how many more songs can be changed just by lowering the tempo.

Edited by keith lockey

Keith . When i lived in my house i had a large two tier organ. but had to get rid of it when i moved to my Bungalow. i now have two kwyboards which i enjoy playing.i think you will enjoy one too they are good

I bumped into a mate the other day and he says he has a Casio (or something similar) and he says i can have it. It is in his loft doing nothing. I can't actually play the piano but I like composing songs and I always wanted a keyboard. PS, Tony, take a look at Howard Jones playing the Jupiter 80 on You tube - awesome but totally technical.

Edited by keith lockey

Do these keyboards have 'dampened' keys so they feel like real piano keys ... a little resistance, or do they feel 'lightweight' with no resistance?

I've actually no idea, Symptoms, I've never had a go on one. I've only ever had a tinkle on my friend's upright...er...let me rephrase that.

Hi Keith have you got your mates keyboard yet. my ]

No Tony, I left a message on his answer machine but he hasn't replied yet. A friend is going to pick it up in her car but I don't know his address!!!! I'll give him another ring tomorrow. But another friend has an upright so I've been having a go at that. I'll probably be useless at it!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now