Newspaper Clipping

ivan1968

Hi all i found newspaper article and pic relating to a giant dragline excavator shipped in from Illinois USA to Bedlington which i think at the time was the largest in the world it was used at the Acorn Bank open cast coal site in Bedlington. does anyone know if the article might have copyright. Does anyone remember this?

Thanks

This the article you talking about?

http://www.flickr.co...x-5YE1pW-aeAk6e

If so, It's copyright owned by the news post leader.

Saying "This image is copyright of ...... and must not be used without their express, written permission" poses the obvious question: well... do you have permission to use it? :D

In fact any form of copyright notice without an accompanying date claim is legally meaningless - someone tell Microsoft this! The 1934 articles here are almost certainly out of copyright and in the public domain, though the dragline articles technically are probably still in copyright. Though fair not-for-profit usage is arguably acceptable, particularly in an educational context. We are talking UK/Euro law here which is markedly different from US law so often quoted on the Internet as all-embracing - well it isn't Mr OBarmy, so there! ;).

Hello Adam

Yes that is the article,thank you for clearing up the copyright issue. I thought it was an interesting piece.

ManyThanks

Just for another bit of information, the dragline in the photo served at Bedlington, Widdrington, Butterwell and Stobswood opencasts and even featured on BBC's Jim'll Fix it, but was taken out of service in 1993 by RJB mining and stood out of service till it was sold for scrap in 2003 by UK coal the contractor who dismantled it was O'Brien demolition and dismantling.

• 10 months later...

THAT'S the same dragline that me and me Brother and Friends used ti play on,on Sunday afternoons![nae security guys,or H & S spys either!!]

Aa was 10 years aad when they started working Acorn Bank,and we aal used ti just waak doon thi cut,have a bit play aroond on the feet of thi dragline,

inti thi big bucket,just like last of the summer wine codgers...only we were real kids!

Aav got a very short video of the site,which was rescued from a skip,in V.H.S form,and transferred to dvd by the six townships media company,and it's a real nostalgia trip for me...Thanks John!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now