Bedlington Station Eyesore

The place is a bloody disgrace. I have an idea who owns it as I had heard that he bought it in the summer and he was planning to start work on it asap but little or nothing has been done. Someone I know parked her car outside there on Wednesday and some debris fell off Jakes and hit her, car, damaging it. It narrowly missed a lady walking by with a child.

When I see him Ill ask him if it is true that he now owns Jakes and if he does, what he is going to do with the place. Personally I think the place should now be flattened.

Malcolm, or some of his colleagues on WBTC, will probably know better, but I think the planning rules for change of use for commercial premises were relaxed this summer. I believe you can just go ahead change the use without permission now.

All sorts of such laws doglover, however they all cost money and expertise to administer and they are two things not necessarily in abundance within councils these days!

There were a couple of people (on here) who wanted such actions (and more) taken against the Clayton but were told council wouldn't initiate them for various reasons.

It does seem strange when we are governed by rules and regulations to such an extent you can't hold something as innocuous and innocent as a street party without complying to vast reams of paperwork and intrusions by jobsworths yet when something is clearly in the public interest it is met with indifference by local government?

According to the crack there is a new owner who anyone would hope will be looking to bring the place back into a reasonable and tradeable state.

Jakes not owned by the person I was told owned it . If and when the railway station is re-opened it will be interesting to see if the owners of the Clayton are told to get it sorted once and for all. Every visitor to Bedlington Station by car, bus, on foot and eventually by rail sees the Clayton and the state it is in.

Certainly the smashed windows of the Clayton Arms give a very bad impression. Does anyone know how they got smashed.

Also the Railway tavern (mid week) appears to be struggling, bar nearly in darkness in the evening. I guess to save money.

On a positive note, the Percy Arms has been converted into a Italian restaurant, which appears to be doing well.

it did look like a kip the last time I was over and kind of half thought for a second about calling in for a pint.we have a pub like it in cork nicknamed the flying bottle. they too cant seem to keep glass in the windows. half of the problem with the pubs loosing business is with the likes of Tesco and lidl selling cheap beer and its hard for them to compete. corner shops are doing massive trade with out of date deals. its probably heartbreaking for any owners to have to deal with replacing glass and I guess when windows are broken and facillitys get run down to the point beyond reasonable cost and repair..they just give up. I imagine any passing trade would give it a miss on the grounds that they might be murdred or poisoned..or worse....any hows..the dark nights are coming in and it wont look so bad ..throw a few xmas lights to add some cheer,crack open a bottle and drink some beer.

So if it happens will there be a) new car parking area, B) a new round-a-bout and c) two sets of traffic lights to ensure commuters leaving the station have an equal opportunity to join Ravensworth Street. Over to the planning department for an update.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now