Xmas Light Switch On

Malcolm Robinson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about doing it remotely via the fleecebook, twatter or even the steamweb? That way you could get a worthy exile to do the deed via a local stooge who's finger could be on the button; this could be headline grabbing stuff in the Chronicle or Look North (is this still transmitted?). Perhaps a link-in with our alien friends ... Bedders Xmas lights switched on from space.

Wonk - are you going soft in your old age? Keep the ankle-biters away from lekky.

lol..guess i am a tad..its just i had this christmas scene going on in my head that there was this poor unfortunate child that may have been terminally ill and a little smile gos a long way....if the truth be known i have been a bit soft since i bumped my head a few years ago and become more empathetic...i know..your all thinking pathetic more like it..lol..it really is a dillema for bedlington though..wasnt too long ago when they got joe soap to do it..(tommy the egg man)..lol

a local with downs syndrome would be a delightfull picture for the papers and spreading joy at christmas..in my own personal experiance i have had more joy and laughter from the downs syndrome comunity over here than from any so called normal person. if i may be unpoliticaly correct by calling someone normal.

another option is to raffle the switch on for say...a quid a ticket and put the proceeds to the atlee park fund..maybe install a bench for me to chill on when i come back because the last time the grass was wet and i got a wet arse..

• 2 weeks later...

What you need is a proper Bedlington seat Wonky.........WTS!

Now Now Mal U nearly let the cat or in this case the dog (Bedlington Terrier) out of the bag

Some one could have put 2 & 2 together and would have come up with hmmm u do the maths

Now the the Bed! Terrier bench seat is out in the open we all now know 😜

Wonky might have a good point about raffling the Xmas lights. It would be publicity and raise money for some worthy project or cause - in Bedlington - but what cause that would be is debatable. Either that or get Bedlington's most elderly citizen to turn it on.

BUT PLEASE, NO POXY CELEB'.

Wonky might have a good point about raffling the Xmas lights. It would be publicity and raise money for some worthy project or cause - in Bedlington - but what cause that would be is debatable. Either that or get Bedlington's most elderly citizen to turn it on.

BUT PLEASE, NO POXY CELEB'.

"Most elderly citizen" ? Malcolm just said he is ruled out !!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of good publicity would be welcome - newspapers, local radio and TV, therefore pull out all the stops, thinking caps on and let's come up with someone special,local if possible but certainly well known and as Keith so succinctly put it "No Poxy Celebs". What this town of ours so desperately needs is recognition and what better than giving it maximum exposure in the media. I'll put my thoughts into the ring and suggest why not someone who is currently beating the drum for the town. Suggestions please!

A bit of good publicity would be welcome - newspapers, local radio and TV, therefore pull out all the stops, thinking caps on and let's come up with someone special,local if possible but certainly well known and as Keith so succinctly put it "No Poxy Celebs". What this town of ours so desperately needs is recognition and what better than giving it maximum exposure in the media. I'll put my thoughts into the ring and suggest why not someone who is currently beating the drum for the town. Suggestions please!

Brain Storming, alone, so yes there will be some crap but you never know there might be something comes out of it.

Hate the word 'Celebrity'. A celeb is just someone fortunate to get a good job that other people think is cool and misguided teenagers (plus some young at heart oldies) clamber to see. But why would anyone, other than immediate family, turn out to see a local person that is not labelled a celebrity?

Many individuals, from any group eg. Women's Institute; Town Hall; Terrier's football team; Historian etc. etc. deserve the recognition but other than members of their group who would turn out to see them switch on xmas lights. Some would turn out just to see the lights, but only if the lights were brilliant/dazzling etc. etc.

A relative of a founder of a Bedlington event/group/building/industry. Only the local historians would turn out.

The Bedlington mascot – the dog. Only the dog owner would turn out.

What's the biggest body of people in Bedlington? The Schools.

What if the Head Teacher from every school in Bedlington nominated a worthy pupil to switch on the lights. So there was one from every school. Would teachers, pupils, family & friends turn out to see a pupil from their school join with pupils from the other schools to collectively switch on the lights. Each pupil holding the spoke of a large pit winding wheel and lowering the hub of the wheel onto the light switch ( I did say I was brain storming). Would that also be a worthy news story – Bedlington Unite School Heroes (BUSH teleghraph)

Is it too late to organize anything different for this year?

Brain storm subsides. Time for a cup of tea.

Just my opinion but I'd rather see the "Xmas Light Switch On†be geared around the event rather than a person!

A little bit about the meaning of Christmas (keep it to a minimum!) with carol singing. Festive singing (there has to be a local musical group!) also a good time for charities to do their thing, food drives, coats for kids etc.

Hot chocolate and candy canes! I like the idea from Eggy several "worthy†kids nominated from the schools or hospitals! (it can make a big step in a child's recovery)

We used to look forward to the Xmas tree being lit in Blyth Market Square and the Sally Army band playing traditional carols, and the Nativity scene by the bus station, and hot chestnuts by Martino! (he used to convert his icecream cart too chestnuts in the winter)

post-119-0-73022700-1382197037_thumb.jpg

Hire a Tardis (you can do this), stock it with historic Bedders lookalikes (Daniel Gooch and others) in costume, have them emerge from the time machine to turn the lekky on. Perhaps a Dr Who lookalike could use a sonic screwdriver to do the deed ... obviously, this bit would be an act and would need somebody with the real switch hiding in sight of the Doctor.

Variations on this theme - Martians emerging from mock flying saucer could do the deed on his/her/its way for a haircut; for our younger viewers somebody will be along soon to explain this one.

• 1 month later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now