Blackie Picking

I've just got back from my third bike ride in as many days and its just occurred to me why the kids will all have their heads buried in ipads, ipods, iphones and xboxes during the forthcoming Blackberry Week Holidays, they'll have nowt else to do.

I've never seen as many O A Ps out picking Blackies in my life, hope some of them make me a pie, the old buggers are out there nicking the lot, there'll be nowt left for the bairns when their hols come around. :glare:

This must be the right forum "Consumer" :icecream:

Just come back from my holiday in south Herefordshire, You would love it down there Keith, we were amazed at the amount of sloe berry bushes there were in the woods and hedgerows you could hic till your hearts content. Elderberry wine mmmmmm

Done , Its festering away now. Just short of 2 gallon . 5lb + elderberries stripped 6ib sugar hoyed in . will be in demi johns next weekend 6 weeks later in bottles then we will see if I can leave it alone for 6 months or so. Soon as we get a frost the sloe gin will get going.

2 gallon!!! Well that's me and Malcolm sorted, Keefy, but what about yourself?

Edited by keith lockey

• 2 weeks later...

Done , Its festering away now. Just short of 2 gallon . 5lb + elderberries stripped 6ib sugar hoyed in . will be in demi johns next weekend 6 weeks later in bottles then we will see if I can leave it alone for 6 months or so. Soon as we get a frost the sloe gin will get going.

Waiting on the sloes too. Eyed a couple of elderberry bushes last week that i need to raid.

Mmmmmm

• 1 month later...

Heh heh!

Reminds me when we were kids,we used ti gaan doon Bedltn bank owa the bridge,and up inti the private blackberry hill above the

Ha-apenny-wood-hoose,on the bebside side of the bridge.

We filled two big Ostermilk tins wi blackies,in an hoor,raced up the bank,selt them aroond wor doors in Hollymoont Square,for

usually,thruppence a pund!!

Whey each tin might haad aboot three punds o' blackies,so we got rich by the end of the shift!

Mind,we might hae picked aboot six tins apiece,so it tuk langer ti sell them,once ya regulars were blackied up!

If yi tek inti consideration thi trek doon thi bank,climbing aal aroond the hill [which was aboot 1-in-3 gradient],bak up thi bank,trekking thi street carrying aboot six punds o' blackies,then stryght bak doon again for more,at age ten or eleven years aad......it was hard earned cash for us kids!![nae sign of boredom...the word hadn't been invented!]

Noo,aav noticed loads o' places this year,where nae bugga's been at aal!!...not even thi aad timers.....!

What's happened?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now