Delta Search

keith lockey

Beware of DELTA SEARCH.

I was downloading a new version of ITUNES onto my computer last night and Delta Search piggy-backed in on the download.

It took over my homepage and is now ruining / running my computer. If you don't see me online for a while then you know why. It is a Bitch to get off.

I noticed that more and more software companies / developers are 'by default' including adware & toolbars now.

Uninstalled something last week which I said to remove 'Everything' then the next option was a feedback option but also included a small tick box (pre-ticked) stating to leave some settings in case I re-install.

Much like Cameron's "Active Choice" which you don't have a choice with.

This simply shouldn't have been necessary! As well as good AV software (not Norton/Symantec please!) it's always useful to run malwarebytes occasionally to see what might have sneakily installed that's not technically a virus.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The freebie version of course!

The annoying thing is - I had Norton on!!

I was going through the procedure of installing ITunes, you know the format...next, click...next...click...do you agree to terms...yes...click, and this Delta Search box came up with the procedures. I automatically pressed next...click...too late. I thought it was part of the installation procedure and didn't notice until I clicked the button. VERY ANNOYING!!!

The annoying thing is - I had Norton on!!

Norton is one of the worst Anti Virus programs going, lets in loads of viruses, spyware, etc. Had it on my first computer then changed the anti virus because Norton was a bit more dear then the others and bought Kaspersky and ran it on the computer picked up something like 2 Viruses, 4 Trojans and 175 spyware. After that I thought never going to get Norton Again.

Nice one 3G! "remove 15 problems and pay to remove the 834 others" and it also installed Amazon toolbar!

Now to clean up this mess! In future I'll stay with AVG or Norton! :thumbsdown:

No, you simply run it again and again until your system is clear. Has never installed any "extras" on my system, but perhaps that's because I read all the install screens (except the licence agreement of course! ;) ).

If you really have got 834 other problems maybe you should pay them the mungy - or do a clean o/s install? :D It will generally find some annoyances that AVs will ignore, and it does have good rep which they aren't going to endanger.

Norton is one of the worst Anti Virus programs going, lets in loads of viruses, spyware, etc. Had it on my first computer then changed the anti virus because Norton was a bit more dear then the others and bought Kaspersky and ran it on the computer picked up something like 2 Viruses, 4 Trojans and 175 spyware. After that I thought never going to get Norton Again.

Have to agree with Adam, Norton is an infection in itself! Lost count of the number of times I thought I'd removed it from my system but the Symantec Updater was still clinging on in memory. The instructions on the Symantec website for the "removal tool" didn't work. I think I'm free of it now but it took hours of poking through the system files. To add insult to injury it's in the ROM of the tab I just bought and you can't remove it. I've disabled it but it's still lurking and taking up storage.

Try Avast! - it's free if you play canny and don't want all the unnecessary bells and whistles. Been using it and recommending it for several years and no one has come back to me and said "bad idea" yet!

BTW Avast has a Browser Cleanup Tool which removes unwanted toolbars etc.

I had avast or AVG free.

Regular runs of CCleaner to remove any rubbish and clear temp internet files, redundant registry strings, check startup programs and uninstall software.

Also after a fresh install you definitely must check out Ninite.com. Select which software you want and download the installer and installs the software with all adware/toolbars unchecked by default.

Makes things so quick after clean install

No, you simply run it again and again until your system is clear. Has never installed any "extras" on my system, but perhaps that's because I read all the install screens (except the licence agreement of course! ;) ).

I also read the install screens and didn't take any extras.

If you really have got 834 other problems maybe you should pay them the mungy - or do a clean o/s install? :D It will generally find some annoyances that AVs will ignore, and it does have good rep which they aren't going to endanger.

834 problems! an obvious scam to get you to pay for the "better" program!

Have to agree with Adam, Norton is an infection in itself! Lost count of the number of times I thought I'd removed it from my system but the Symantec Updater was still clinging on in memory. The instructions on the Symantec website for the "removal tool" didn't work. I think I'm free of it now but it took hours of poking through the system files. To add insult to injury it's in the ROM of the tab I just bought and you can't remove it. I've disabled it but it's still lurking and taking up storage.

Try Avast! - it's free if you play canny and don't want all the unnecessary bells and whistles. Been using it and recommending it for several years and no one has come back to me and said "bad idea" yet!

"Not a good idea" I tried it, after several side tracks like install for mobile devices! then everthing was VERY slow, and EVERYTHING I opened was a "Potential threat" and we can save you if you BUY the better version, but it did un-install very easily! and everything back to normal! AVG on this laptop and (dreaded and unremovable) Norton on the desktop.

Edited by Brett
Correcting Quotations

OK then I'm just running (free edition) Malwarebytes on my lappy right now after upgrading to the latest version of the database. I haven't run it for a good while; probably three or four months. Let's see how many instances of "obvious scam" it goes in for? I did run it on a friends machine only a few weeks ago and it picked up a tiny handful of certainly genuine problems on that - this friend is a known virus magnet!

On the Avast front it's probably in learning mode on emails. I don't actually use it for scanning email myself as we have on on-server stuff, but I've never seen Avast report a false positive, and we run it here on several machines. I have seen it pick up genuine infections that both NAV and McAfee have missed though. As for slowing machines down, then you surely must be talking about NAV! :D Anyway you must give any AV a reasonable shot at doing all the initial housekeeping before declaring it a dodo.

Will screen-shot the results as soon as the respective scans are finished.

GGG, My first problem after the install was when I opened Internet Explorer, it had changed to "Bing†homepage with toolbar, (it was always http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/) and it said it was a threat! everything else I tied was a threat and real slow, I got nervous and deleted! :whistle:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now