Arthur Butchers Shop On The Glebe Bank

Dr Pit

Can anyone remember Arthur Butchers shop on the glebe bank.

It was a general dealers, I think a couple of doors down from the prince of Wales picture house (now the gym)

It was next door to a chip shop, but closed down( converted to a house) in the early fifties.

I can remember this shop it was the first one to sell home made ice lollies they were mostly only ice though, it was a small shop but packed with all sorts of items, the owner and his Mother who also served in the shop always seemed a bit abrupt with children. Can anyone remember the fish shop and Charlie who owned it I vaguely remember some sort of scandal connected to him.

Dad refers to the shop as 'Bartie Butchers' and possibly has a photo in an album currently out on loan. He remembers that in the early post war years (2nd WW), Bartie used to sell 'under the counter' cigarettes to the miners. He was a good businessman as he would sell the cigs individually, splitting the packets and upping the price and his profits. He would still have long queues outside when rumour of a delivery started. Moscardinis at Bedlington Station also cottoned onto this sales method.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now