Ancestry.co.uk Free In Northumberland Libraries

Brett

Ancestry is the largest online library of family history information in the world. It is constantly updated. You can use Ancestry Library Edition to search for your ancestors. Download useful resources such as an ancestral chart, a research calendar and a correspondence record.

Use the site to see documents such as:

Census Records 1841 - 1911 for England & Wales

Scottish Census Records 1841 - 1911

Birth, Marriages & Death Index from 1837 to 2005

UK jParish Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records (does not include Northumberland)

British Phonebooks 1880 - 1984

Extensive records from other countries

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

Immigration & Travel Records

In addition to records from USA, Canada, Australia and Europe.

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=10795

Brett - I have never used one of those ancestry sites that you would normally have to subscribe to so can't comment on how good, bad or rip of they might be. Always prefered to meet the old relatives and have a chat, extract some info and drink some whiskey.

Traveled to Locherbrigggs a few years ago to talk to an aunt about our Scottish cousins. She told me about Wee Jodie who new all about the family as all the relatives visited him and left him documents and photos etc. Why is he called Wee Jodie I asked. "He's got nae legs" was the reply.

Any way as Wee Jodie had past on I had to find an alternative. There is a free site called FreeBMD (Births, Marriages, Deaths). Not a brilliant site but it is free and if one is just looking for a couple of generations back and know roughly the area where they lived it throws up lots of names. Of course the searching is free but if you want a birth cert. to get the names of the parents etc. then it's £10 payable to the General Register Office.

Brett - I have never used one of those ancestry sites that you would normally have to subscribe to so can't comment on how good, bad or rip of they might be. Always prefered to meet the old relatives and have a chat, extract some info and drink some whiskey.

I think the general idea people have is when you hit a dead end with talking to relatives. I personally would only have one grandma to go to and struggle to get any further.

The BBC also has a good section on tracing your family tree with instructions on how to set out the diagram with a key for which symbols to use etc

I know people who have used one of the many sites for tracing family members and they seem to be happy with the information they were able to uncover. Many of the sites also offer 1 month trials before you have to pay so if you can spend the time you could potentially get quite a but done during the free trial.

Ancestry is an excellent site for sniffing-out your family past. I took out their 1 month free trial together with their big rival Find Your Past freebie to compare. I found a month wasn't really long enough to delve comprehensively so I had to make a decision which one to subscribe to and at the time Ancestry was a much better site with more records. I looked at their 'pay as you go' sub but decided the 'premium' sub was more useful to my needs - the thing is that once you start searching the whole thing becomes uncontrollably addictive and you realise that you've spent hours (at each sitting!!!) looking so the 'pay as you go' sub would soon mount-up. If you need certificates (birth, death, marriage) a good tip is to use Ancestry's order page but don't send it off to them as the charge twenty odd quid a cert; just use the data their order form generates to order direct from the Government's General Register Office at: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/home.asp and the certs cost £9.25. The FreeBMD site worth using as well and will generate tons of useful stuff for nowt.

I've got back to 1731on my Mum's side and still working on it; I've got back 150 years on my Dad's but I'm discovering orphans ... kids left alone after deaths in child birth and a number of fathers killed in pits. What's up-lifting is these kids being formally adopted by relatives.

Brett ... I wonder if the library edition is the 'full' version or is crippled in some way?

Brett ... I wonder if the library edition is the 'full' version or is crippled in some way?

I'm pretty sure it's the full version, seen it on the council site but I can't seem to find it again.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now