The King Of The North

The hospital quacks routinely prescribed Mackeson to their anemic patients;  I don't know when this stopped ... maybe the 1980s.  Pete is correct about the bottle size as I remember my Dad being given the stuff after an operation in the General in the early 70s.

"The hospital quacks routinely prescribed Mackeson to their anemic patients"

I was diagnosed as a chronic anemic a number of years ago (yeah, I know, there's not much right with me) and my doctor, half jokingly, advised I drink Guinness.....

I remember Guinness being prescribed for "general debility" in some hospitals. In severe cases we could whisk an egg and blend it into the stout - revolting! I've Heard the term "invalid stout" used in the same context. It may have had something to do with those advertising Campaigns such as "Guinness is good for you". I remember that phrase was exchanged, at least in the nursing profession, for "There's a baby in every bottle" owing to the increasing birthrate during those years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started giving blood as a doner,in 1962,right after my 18th birthday,and a cup of fresh nice tea and a choice of biscuits was the order of the day!

....definitly no guiness..and the Ferrous-Sulphate [iron] tablets as well..........!!.....and then away straight doon the big black hole ti work a hard shift!!

They used ti advise yi not ti dae any strenuous work for a day or so.....a used ti  tell the Doctor ti gaan and see me Owaman at Choppingtin High Pit,and

tell HIM not ti gie me any hard wark ti dae!!!

"...as a doner..."

You were a KEBAB!!! (Excuse the grammar police, couldn't resist!)

I've never given blood; I have a rare blood type, it's Bateman's XXXB

Edited by mercuryg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now