Blocking People

Maggie/915

Maggie the facility is there in case you receive messages you do not want from members on the site.

I would guess that its not really required on here but comes as part of the forum software as standard. Its not something most people would utilise but is there to be used if people should feel the need for it.

What were your concerns about it?

Now for the record Brett, how do you block people.

Maybe others would like to know.

Is it just disabling the messenger, or is there an individual block for just the odd person you would like to eliminate.

I hasten to add that I have not and do not intend to block anyone.

I wonder if it is 'Say no to women on the site'

Such a strange thing to insinuate.

To block a person, whilst in 'Personal Messenger' you will click the Block option underneath their name in the top left hand corner:

iSKV0I1.png

Alternatively you can select 'Manage Ignore Prefs' from your profile menu at the top right

mlYGXgW.png

This takes you to the 'Ignore Preferences' within your user profile and allows you to select who you ignore and you can limit this to certain sections of the site or completely.

LvJIs8n.png

Thanks old chip!

Lowering the tone again why do some folk on personal messenger have a red 'block' under their name and others do not!

If it says block, does that mean they have blocked you or by pressing block are you blocking them!

The rules of golf seem much easier.

Does Wilf ever have problems with the rules of the game.

If the word block appears under the name as per:

iSKV0I1.png

This means that the person is not currently blocked and by clicking this you are blocking the person from sending you messages.

If someone is already blocked then it will say 'Unblock' beneath their name.

post-4-0-02978600-1375696049_thumb.jpg

I can't see why any of the regular members would want to block anyone else here, we are all adults and if something can't be settled via conversation then there is something desperately wrong.

Some people such as the moderators (Malcolm, Adam and myself), Administrators (Fourgee and Threegee) can not be blocked due to the user class we are in on the site.

Other reasons may be that the person has deleted the thread/conversation that was started from their own personal messenger inbox.

Without being able to see what you were seeing I am just clutching at straws here.

I wonder If I am the only one who has been confused.

To block or not to block that is the question!

Then there are the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Once you know that postings go and then come back into the new posting box you do not double post!

Once you know some people have block under there name in PMs and others do not, you do not question.

Once you get to the site and it says Oops, you ignore it and find you are signed in anyway, it is fine.

As moderators you need to know when something is confusing.

After all there will be people too shy to comment.

Blocking people and Oxo now there is a thought!

Maggie,

If you are unsure of any part of the site you can scroll all the way to the bottom and there is a 'Help' link which takes you to the forum guidance pages.

It sits next to the 'Mark Community Read' option at the very bottom of every page.

That was why I started the thread Symptoms

Within Personal Messenger I could not understand why certain people had 'Blocked under their names and others did not.

I thought I had been blocked.

The Moderators you can not block.

Of the others some had The Block and others did not.

Clear as mud.

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now