Tettie Pickin'

Yee must have picked the early's Paul. Half Term/Blackberry week - October was was tattie (me dad's Scottish) picking week for the Oval & Bedlington Station lads (and a few big lasses). Not for me as a didn't hav me a bucket. The elders got them, they ha more rights (force) than me.

We picked Tetties for Wade,s farm, and we topped snaggies at Dinsmore,s farm and we picked Tetties for a Farm down past Netherton, towards Morpeth, it was hard work but loads of fun, Lesley Dinsmore was in my class at school.

I went tettie picking once in 1971, long time ago, i took my friend Karen with me when she found out the lads were getting paid more than the girls she persuaded the girls to go on strike, that was the end of my tettie picking.

• 3 weeks later...

Good old days indeed. Picked many a time for Pattison at Guide Post. Used to be Clarkes Farm. Blacberry picking fetched a few bob in. Put the coals in for folk too. Took the pop bottles back when doing shopping for a few pence.

Took newspapers to the fishshop for a bag of chips and many more chores.

Happy days. It wern't all bad , was it ?

There were plenty of laughs to be had. I needed a bob once for fish and chips so I put me cub scout uniform on and went oot te dee bob-a-job. Ah got a bob at the forst hoose even though they didn't need owt done and they pointed oot it was naewhere near bob-a-job week. Ah felt guilty ahll the way te the fish shop.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now