New Litter Bins For Bedlington.

It's all very well to have bins in public spaces but, and it's a big but, the Council or whoever's responsible in Bedders, needs to regularly empty them. Nothing worse than overflowing bins.

Keith, if plenty of dog turd bins are provided they'll get used; the anti-dog brigade* (I'm not suggesting you K) conveniently avoid complaining about the biggest litter fowlers - kids. Kids need to be brainwashed into having an anti-litter approach ... we were at school and by our parents 'back in the day'; I can honestly say that I have never dropped a bit of litter, ever! That's not me being sanctimonious but suggesting that with proper 'training' good social attitudes will remain.

*those fascists at mumsnet and similar.

It's all very well to have bins in public spaces but, and it's a big but, the Council or whoever's responsible in Bedders, needs to regularly empty them. Nothing worse than overflowing bins.

Keith, if plenty of dog turd bins are provided they'll get used; the anti-dog brigade* (I'm not suggesting you K) conveniently avoid complaining about the biggest litter fowlers - kids. Kids need to be brainwashed into having an anti-litter approach ... we were at school and by our parents 'back in the day'; I can honestly say that I have never dropped a bit of litter, ever! That's not me being sanctimonious but suggesting that with proper 'training' good social attitudes will remain.

*those fascists at mumsnet and similar.

Totally agree, I don't mind dogs being walked around the field as long as the owners clean up after them. Dog crap and kids don't mix

yes its a discrase when people dont clean up after their dogs...this is going to sound strange to some but for years i have been going round with pockets full of sprinkles and decorating it..it really catches your eye when walking along the foot path and really brings new light to the subject of fouling.. decorating dog poo is a big thing now in the art world after it kicked off years ago in the states..apart from lighting up the subject matter it is even more appealing to passing dogs who tend to have a little taste much to their owners distaste..http://youtu.be/J5-9TbBciZI

• 2 weeks later...

How many bins do you need Keith?

BigBelly - Solar powered. Have we any of these Malcolm?

post-3031-0-93860900-1375956051_thumb.pn

A London council is trialling high-tech solar-powered waste bins in its parks.

The BigBelly Solar Compact has the same footprint as a conventional rubbish bin, but it uses the sun's rays to charge 12v battery, which powers an internal compactor.

When two sensors located within the bin are triggered, it begins crushing the rubbish. By compacting rubbish internally, the bin can hold up to 800 litres of rubbish - eight times more than a standard bin.

Increased capacity means the bin needs emptying far less frequently, reducing collections by 86%. Despite costing £1,000, the makers of BigBelly claim bin collection costs are reduced by 70%

Each bin includes a wireless monitoring system, enabling the council to monitor how full the bin is. Once it reaches 85% capacity, a text is sent informing that the bin needs emptying.

The bins are fully enclosed, so there's no over flow or chance of exposure to the wind or rain

The BigBelly Solar Compact bins are being trialled in Merton, south-west Wimbledon, along with Dundee University in Oxford and Bath

Edited by Eggy1948

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now