Bertha Burns Tea Rooms Morpeth

My mother (Jean White) worked as a waitress there for many years.

An aunt & uncle used to take me there sometimes before going to the pictures.

I used to also be treated to great slabs of cooking chocolate, brought home by my mother. Fine for the first couple of bites. Then you felt as sick

as a dog.

was th tearoom upstairs opposite boots, I can remember going somewhere in morpeth, the waitress's wore white aprons and hats and brought a selection of cakes on a cake stand, I only went once but never forgot it.

our temp today is 105 Far or 45.55 celsius and all week will be the same, how hot is England ?

I was frying bacon on the dustbin lid this morning, Micky, Two of my camels died from heat exhaustion, the bedouin tribesmen at the bottom of my garden have moved further north and the solar panels on my roof have melted. Does that answer your question?

Our temperatures are merely upper 20s but with no air con in our houses it can get uncomfortable.

All the insulation, cavity wall and loft do not help.

We should come alive at night and party!

Perhaps on the beach but keep thinking that cold breeze could strike at any moment.

Over forty degrees now that really is hot, how do you survive.

Bertha Burns tea rooms were up the stairs.

The cakes on a stand, the sandwiches everything was presented so well.

Retro, it would do well now.

Ah for high tea and the argument about lunch dinner and tea.

Which meal and when.

Dinner was at lunch time and tea was a meal too.

That does not include the posh 'supper'!

I fitted our house with central high velocity air conditioning 2 years ago and it is fantastic, we had window A/C units before which were hardly keeping up in heat like this

Actually the central A/C saves me quite a bit over the old window units and its very quiet too, theres nowt like coming in off the redbrick patio when the thermometer says 102 degrees and you are soaking in sweat and you walk into 74 degrees!!!

• 6 years later...
On 13/07/2013 at 21:53, John White said:

My mother (Jean White) worked as a waitress there for many years.

An aunt & uncle used to take me there sometimes before going to the pictures.

I used to also be treated to great slabs of cooking chocolate, brought home by my mother. Fine for the first couple of bites. Then you felt as sick

as a dog.

Hi John

Do you happen to have any photos of the people who worked in the tea rooms?  It was run by my father's Uncle and Auntie (Henry Burns and Ethel Arkless) and I'm trying to find photos of them, particularly Ethel .. for my family tree.

Many thanks

Sean Arkless

On 15/07/2013 at 15:15, mickypotts said:

My mother was a waitress at the tea room and met my father there, Mary Potts

Hi Mickey

Do you happen to have any photos of the people who worked in the tea rooms?  It was run by my father's Uncle and Auntie (Henry Burns and Ethel Arkless) and I'm trying to find photos of them, particularly Ethel .. for my family tree.

Many thanks

Sean Arkless

On 15/07/2013 at 16:43, Orloff said:

My Mum was cook there for some time in the sixties, her name was Doreen.

Hi Orloff

Many thanks

Sean Arkless

@Sean Arkless - you may struggle to get an answer from the three members you messaged:(. There hasn't been a lot of activity within the group over the last year or more. 

When you click/select a member's Id the system shows you info on that members activity within the group.

I selected the three members you 'messaged' and this extract, from each members activity, shows the last time each member visited = logged into - the group.

Last visited.jpg

7 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Where were the Tea Rooms? would they be the cafe in the arcade? 

@Vic Patterson - I checked on the Facebook group - Morpeth History Matters. The group is a 'Public group' so non members can  view the content and use the search facility.

Bertha Bunrs was on Bridge Street, next door to Smails.

Bertha Burns5.jpg

• Like 1

@Sean Arkless - I had a search on the Facebook 'Public Group' - Morpeth History Matters and used the search facility to look for posting containing the words 'Bertha Burns' 

864949715_MorpethHistoryMatters.thumb.jpg.776261f1e4436a021481d4c2e891fc72.jpg

They may not be of any help to you but these are the images that my search returned :-

Bertha Burns.jpg

Bertha Burns2.jpg

Bertha Burns3.jpg

Bertha Burns4.jpg

Bertha Burns5.jpg

Bertha Burns staff.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Sean Arkless - I had a search on the Facebook 'Public Group' - Morpeth History Matters and used the search facility to look for posting containing the words 'Bertha Burns' 

864949715_MorpethHistoryMatters.thumb.jpg.776261f1e4436a021481d4c2e891fc72.jpg

They may not be of any help to you but these are the images that my search returned :-

Bertha Burns.jpg

Bertha Burns2.jpg

Bertha Burns3.jpg

Bertha Burns4.jpg

Bertha Burns5.jpg

Bertha Burns staff.jpg

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)  Wow, thank you so much Alan.  Some great photos and the newspaper article is fascinating.  I really appreciate you looking .. and sharing.

CheersSean

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now