The Lion Garage

I can remember Newton Foggan, he was a friend of my Dads. Dad used to keep his dormobile van in Newtons garage (bit ramshakled but it was secure). I cant remember the name of his wife, but she was always baking and always had a treat for me when I was there. Newton was a cracking fella, always laughing but I also remember that he would not suffer fools easily. I may be wrong, but I seem to think that he was a policeman at one time. Some of you will remember PC Walter Balance, he used to look in on the Foggans regularly.

I grew up in Bedlington Station, and moved to the top end in 1981, but i cant remember this building or where it was, could be too many birthdays or the heat. Love your photographs foxy

When looking through the archway in Foxy's first snap the cottages to the rear, and which formed 'the Yard', are gone.

I think I've posted before that inside the barber's shop there was 'terraced' bench seating along the back wall where the victims sat. Up until the age of 14 my Dad used to take me to get my hair cut there ... short back and sides - I wasn't given a choice. The deed was done with those manual clippers ... I don't think they used lekky ones in there. Once I'd joined a group at 14 and wanted/needed long hair the forced snipping ritual ended and the locks were allowed grow.

Why did they demolish these buildings? can u imagine what they would look like now done up like other buildings in Bedlington, it makes me really sad, weve lost such a lot.

Why did they demolish these buildings? can u imagine what they would look like now done up like other buildings in Bedlington, it makes me really sad, weve lost such a lot.

Wait until you see what the former Elliots Garage Site has in store for us, And the planners are still employed after desecrating the centre of the Conservation Area.

The worst thing about it for me Foxy is that we have lost THE most important retail development slot in Bedlington.

Its just another nail in the coffin that's justifying Bedlington as a Market Town, because if nowt else its another reason for people NOT to walk down Front Street.

I don't understand how they got around the lack of parking provision? 42 bed care home with a small pull in and out parking provision for half a dozen cars?

Plus take in as much sun light in the Market Place as possible over the next few weeks because once that building gets topped off the Market Place will be in shadow for most of the day.

Eileen - when we had our 'camps' in Foggon's Yard and Dowsen's Buildings (mid 60s) I do remember the houses being well-built of sandstone (have a look at Foxy's #8 post above - those cottages on the forecourt of the Lion Garage looked very similar). I suppose they were demolished because they didn't conform, or couldn't be easily made to conform, to the appropriate dwelling house standards of the day ... they were one down - two up plus scullery. Just imagine what nice, bijou little properties they could have been. They certainly would have had to put new plumbing in 'cos we had all the lead out to melt down to make fishing sinkers ... 'spooners' made by pouring the molten lead into a tea spoon, a dessert spoon or a serving spoon depending on weight required.

I wondered if the folks in Foxy's 2nd snap (his #18 post above) are waiting for the erection of Dr Trotter's Memorial in 1899 although the clothes suggest a short time later ... early Edwardian. They all appear to be in 'Sunday best' and all the kids have shoes on and the fella at the front with the homberg hat seems impatient for an arrival of some big-wig ... maybe the coal-owner/aristo was arriving to open the Doctor Pit new chimney/screens in 1902 or a bit later in 1909 the new shaft.

Keith ... I'd forgotten the 'plank'; wouldn't be allowed that method today because of 'elf 'n' safety ... ankle-biters tumbling to the floor. I also remember display boxes of 'rubber-jonnies' in the place ...

Aye and he would slap a dollop of brylcream on your head, my mother used to do her nut ha ha

Brian ... I don't know if the gloop is still made but Mrs Symptoms always wants me to use 'hair products' to keep my mop (thankfully, a glorious, full head of hair) in-check when she wants me to take her out ... I always refuse, arguing that it makes my hair feel 'dirty'. And the cost of these products is frightening ... judging by what she forks out at her hairdresser. So, my head goes under the tap each morning, a quick towel dry, a quick finger ruffle, and all is good for the day. I haven't even owned a comb or hairbrush for decades.

Edited by Symptoms

I remember the whole ordeel brylcream do they still make it ?

Indeed they do still make it, unchanged from way back then too! I'm sure David Beckham is the 'face of' Brylcreem these days.

• 4 weeks later...

Foxy, first Picture #32. Was Todd & sons a fresh fish shop and if so was it the Todd who used to sell fish from a van around the houses?

Yes canny lass It was a Fresh Fish Shop although I cannot say if it was the same family business selling from a van locally. Good to see your back on the Bedders website, Its been left to Eileen and the Maggie's to break the boredom of the Fella's . :) :)

Yes canny lass It was a Fresh Fish Shop although I cannot say if it was the same family business selling from a van locally. Good to see your back on the Bedders website, Its been left to Eileen and the Maggie's to break the boredom of the Fella's . :) :)

Thanks Foxy. I had vague memories of being terrified to go past that shop at the age of 4-5 years, after having seen what appeared to me to be a monster languishing on the marble slab in the window. It was probably just a large catfish or something similar but I had nightmares about it for weeks and I've never eaten fish since. Nice to be back and I think Eileen and Maggie have been doing a very good job with you lot. Everything seems to be under Control at Bedders.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now