Locke Memorial Hall

Viv

A belated happy new year to all fellow 'tonians.

A historical answer if you please!

Does anyone remember which year the Locke Hall was demolished? The old store drapery must have finished trading mid 60's, (it really should have been preserved as a museum, all that mahogany & shuttle system to the cashiers office, and little drawers with cloth covered buttons on liberty bodices etc .... yup c1966!!) then Coopers took it over as a Bingo..... but until when????

Over to you....

A belated happy new year to all fellow 'tonians.

A historical answer if you please!

Does anyone remember which year the Locke Hall was demolished? The old store drapery must have finished trading mid 60's, (it really should have been preserved as a museum, all that mahogany & shuttle system to the cashiers office, and little drawers with cloth covered buttons on liberty bodices etc .... yup c1966!!) then Coopers took it over as a Bingo..... but until when????

Over to you....

Not sure if I have got the right location Viv but was the locke hall once called the Clayton ballroom?

I remember the shuttle system in the fifties in the Store, I was only young and it was like magic. they put your money in a ball and stuck it in a pipe and the ball came back with your change as I recall. The Store had a highly polished wooden floor at that time.

Not sure if I have got the right location Viv but was the locke hall once called the Clayton ballroom?

The Locke Hall was on the Front St. Pete ...... 'tween the Black Bull and Dun Cow and on the right side of the 'cut' through to Millfield..... :D

Page 93.... Evan Martins 'Bedlingtonshire'

Yes that's right, where Millfield Court now sits between the Dun Cow & the Bull. I'm thinking around 1973/4 for demolition, but I'm not sure if it could have been later. I'd really like to know for some research I'm doing.

It was late whan I posted the other night and forgaot about the history thread.... I'll post the ? there as well just in case....

Thanks so far.

The Locke Hall was on the Front St. Pete ...... 'tween the Black Bull and Dun Cow and on the right side of the 'cut' through to Millfield..... :D

Page 93.... Evan Martins 'Bedlingtonshire'

Thanks Swalnalla, I do remember it now, trouble is I have been away for so long I forget where things were.

I don't think 20 pints of Guinness each day helps though!

No but the out of body experience is great, its like floating across green grass on a summers day, you can even here the birds cherping.

Guiness is good for you, it puts lead where lead is supposed to be Denzel.

:D