Creeful Of Coal

Monthly magazine by Mike Kirkup, of Ashington.

Does anyone get this magazine?

Talking about the past, pits etc., as usual whilst in a pub, an ex miner said there was a monthly magazine, 'Creeful of Coal', and he had seen a couple and thought they were a good read but could not remember where and when he had seen them.

A Google of 'Creeful of Coal', as you would expect, throws up about 200 results (in 0.24 secs) but a click on most traces does not give a lot away. I can buy 17 old issues for £9.99 on ebay or I could ring Mike Kirkup courtesy of the info in http://www.shipsnostalgia.com :-

Mike Kirkup produces 'Creeful'. He can be contacted by phone - 01670 855749 or by e-mail mike@mikecree.freeserve.co.uk. The current March issue did contain the article and photos relating to Hughes Bolckows. The mag is made up of articles and photos sent in by readers and there is always something of interest.

Best wishes

Joemac

The above from 'joemac' was published in March 2007 and rather than go down many dead-ends I thought I would ask you lot who have probably delved into this lot before.

So I ask - Is it worth me buying 17 old issues from ebay? Are there free issues available today?

I await your constructive replies

Eggy, I have several copies of Creeful of Coals - I had something published in one many moons ago, if I can find them you can take a look at them if you want. (Don't know if you live local!) But with regards to Mike Kirkup I believe he died. (Mike, if you are still alive my sincerest apologies!!!)

Thanks Keith. What you are saying about the author could explain why my Google returned many blank pages; withdrawn articles etc.

I just fancied a read so is it Ok if I drop you an email and we might be able to sort something out?

Normally visiting in Bedlington once a week and always driving through.

Thanks Keith. What you are saying about the author could explain why my Google returned many blank pages; withdrawn articles etc.

I just fancied a read so is it Ok if I drop you an email and we might be able to sort something out?

Normally visiting in Bedlington once a week and always driving through.

More than happy, Eggy, but we might have a problem - I can't find the blighters!!!

I had the house refurbished last October and a lot of stuff went into storage - now I can't find things. But as soon as i do i will conatct you and you can pop over. The worst thing is I have lost something important that was among those magazines. Really annoying.

More than happy, Eggy, but we might have a problem - I can't find the blighters!!!

I had the house refurbished last October and a lot of stuff went into storage - now I can't find things. But as soon as i do i will conatct you and you can pop over. The worst thing is I have lost something important that was among those magazines. Really annoying.

No problem, no hurry sir. I will watch this space.

i used to get the creefull of coal by mike kircup during its hay day it was good reeding when we had a good number of miners to post in .as the days have gone by a lot ove miners have passed away so we havent got many people left to post in comments . luckly i am still here as an x miner happy days .

i used to get the creefull of coal by mike kircup during its hay day it was good reeding when we had a good number of miners to post in .as the days have gone by a lot ove miners have passed away so we havent got many people left to post in comments . luckly i am still here as an x miner happy days .

Lone Ranger, are you saying Mike no longer issues the monthly paper or you have just stopped receiving it?

A creeful of coal is how we made money when we were kids, shuvelling in the coal for 2 bob - Pioneer Terrace was easy shuvelling straight into the cree via the trap door at the back. Coquedale place was hard work, for me, shuvel into wheel barrow; up the path (sometimes steps) then, unless the cree was empty, tip the barrow then shuvel the coal into the cree!

I'm not an ex miner. The closest I got was a trip doon the Dr. Pit. Just used to walk through the 'A' pit on me way to school at Barrington.

Edited by Eggy1948

Cheers gentlemen - just got my email back:-

]Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

] Subject: creeful of coal - Alan Edgar

] Sent: 10/07/2013 19:48

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: 'mike@mikecree.freeserve.co.uk.' on 10/07/2013 19:48 Server error: 'Invalid recipient'

Might just have to buy the 17 back copies on sale on ebay:-

post-3031-0-23580600-1373482590_thumb.pn

Cheers gentlemen - just got my email back:-

]Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

] Subject: creeful of coal - Alan Edgar

] Sent: 10/07/2013 19:48

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: 'mike@mikecree.freeserve.co.uk.' on 10/07/2013 19:48 Server error: 'Invalid recipient'

Might just have to buy the 17 back copies on sale on ebay:-

post-3031-0-23580600-1373482590_thumb.pn

Hi Eggy, got some good news for you, I've found four copies of Creeful of Coals. So if you want to have a look at them feel free to come over. Send me a PM if you like to arrange a date and time. Bring Wilf and you can put him under my Apple Blossom with the cats.

Hi Eggy, got some good news for you, I've found four copies of Creeful of Coals. So if you want to have a look at them feel free to come over. Send me a PM if you like to arrange a date and time. Bring Wilf and you can put him under my Apple Blossom with the cats.

Cheers Keith. I will see what days I have planned to be over and I will send you PM a few days in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like 'Creeful-of-Coal' is still on the go, but no longer published by Mike Kirkup.

Thank you for all the replies and to Keith L who has dug out some old issues for me to read and see how it was produced by Mike Kirkup.

When out with relatives and Creeful came up some of the responses were:-

"That's the first thing wor Graeme goes for when he visits Bedlington - but not sure what newsagent."

"The paper shop at the Station used to sell that, but it's closed now"

etc. etc. etc.

So the latest story is the new publisher has copies in the newsagent on Front St. East. I think that's the Premier R&S Convenience Store (using Google St maps March 2009), so next Wednesday when in Bedlington I will try and get the latest issue and see who publishes it now.

Just bought latest issue, July, from Front Street newsagent R. Watson. Price = £1.00. Got the last one they had. No idea how many they normally get as the wife, who I sent in for it, did not ask.

The editor is still Mike Kirkup. It is printed by Swiftprint, Back Lintonville Terrace, Ashington. 01670 815888 and they are the only contact details in this issue.

Thanks to all who commented & especially Keith L. who gave me his old issues.

The April 98 issue was 6 pages and the circulation given as 2,600 and rising. This month's issue is 8 pages but circulation number given.

That's the cree hole door shut until another load delivered.

• 3 weeks later...

Monthly magazine by Mike Kirkup, of Ashington.

Does anyone get this magazine?

Talking about the past, pits etc., as usual whilst in a pub, an ex miner said there was a monthly magazine, 'Creeful of Coal', and he had seen a couple and thought they were a good read but could not remember where and when he had seen them.

A Google of 'Creeful of Coal', as you would expect, throws up about 200 results (in 0.24 secs) but a click on most traces does not give a lot away. I can buy 17 old issues for £9.99 on ebay or I could ring Mike Kirkup courtesy of the info in http://www.shipsnostalgia.com :-

Mike Kirkup produces 'Creeful'. He can be contacted by phone - 01670 855749 or by e-mail mike@mikecree.freeserve.co.uk. The current March issue did contain the article and photos relating to Hughes Bolckows. The mag is made up of articles and photos sent in by readers and there is always something of interest.

Best wishes

Joemac

The above from 'joemac' was published in March 2007 and rather than go down many dead-ends I thought I would ask you lot who have probably delved into this lot before.

So I ask - Is it worth me buying 17 old issues from ebay? Are there free issues available today?

I await your constructive replies

Als Superstore has loads of back issues. I can asak for a special special price for you. It may even be Al selling them on Ebay. Lets know, i ask him for a list and a good price for you. But, remember, not very much on Bedlington, mainly Ashington, newbiggin, lynemputh and North Seaton.

Als Superstore has loads of back issues. I can asak for a special special price for you. It may even be Al selling them on Ebay. Lets know, i ask him for a list and a good price for you. But, remember, not very much on Bedlington, mainly Ashington, newbiggin, lynemputh and North Seaton.

Thanks for the offer John, three weeks ago I might have said yes but now not necessary. It's amazing how many people I actually know that have been getting the mag but for some reason it (or my memory is getting worse) never came up. Found I have an uncle, ex pitman from Beaty Row, Bates and now in Stakeford Miners Cottages who's been getting it for for 15+years.

It even came to light a couple of weeks ago that about eight years ago our son was passing on a copy from his partners family to the father-in-law! He was reading straight through it and passing it on the same day he got it and he never mentioned it to my wife or me.

Thanks for the offer John, three weeks ago I might have said yes but now not necessary. It's amazing how many people I actually know that have been getting the mag but for some reason it (or my memory is getting worse) never came up. Found I have an uncle, ex pitman from Beaty Row, Bates and now in Stakeford Miners Cottages who's been getting it for for 15+years.

It even came to light a couple of weeks ago that about eight years ago our son was passing on a copy from his partners family to the father-in-law! He was reading straight through it and passing it on the same day he got it and he never mentioned it to my wife or me.

Not a problem. If you dont mind me asking whos your relation at the cottages. Know just about most of them. Its a small world aint it ? Maybe i dont know him but its nice to know that all us ex miners are being looked after. I moved to the ones at CAmbois for 3 years. Bill Smith, my marra at Whittle Colliery is director, i believe. Geoff Gobin, is my wifes uncle and he is a trustee and councilor for Bedlington Station. Ian Lavery, ex Miners NUM secretary is my half cousin. Hes now MP for Wansbeck.

Talking to Al today and he said 20p each for creeful.

Not a problem. If you dont mind me asking whos your relation at the cottages. Know just about most of them. Its a small world aint it ? Maybe i dont know him but its nice to know that all us ex miners are being looked after. I moved to the ones at CAmbois for 3 years. Bill Smith, my marra at Whittle Colliery is director, i believe. Geoff Gobin, is my wifes uncle and he is a trustee and councilor for Bedlington Station. Ian Lavery, ex Miners NUM secretary is my half cousin. Hes now MP for Wansbeck.

John - I have sent you a message via this sites messaging service.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

It seems that rumours of Mike Kirkup's death are greatly exaggerated. My old man is still going, as is the Creeful of Coals.

I'm not sure if it's sold anywhere in Bedlington, but Mike can be reached on acreefulofcoals@btinternet.com or 01670 855749, and he'll be able to let you know.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi all,

It seems that rumours of Mike Kirkup's death are greatly exaggerated. My old man is still going, as is the Creeful of Coals.

I'm not sure if it's sold anywhere in Bedlington, but Mike can be reached on acreefulofcoals@btinternet.com or 01670 855749, and he'll be able to let you know.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam. my sincerest apologies regarding misinformation. Somewhere along the lines I had heard you father had died. Once again my most profound apology. The Creeful of Coals is sold in a few newsagents in Bedlington. I contributed to one of them many years ago and found it a great way of keeping in contact with the past. Thank you for putting me right and if I am to be chastized I suggest sending me to the Red Light District of Amsterdam as a penance...no, I insist, the blame was mine and I feel that some sort of redemption is needed. (Seriously sorry, Keith.)

Hi all,

Thanks,

Adam

R. Watson's newsagent at the Top End still selling them. Bought July 2013 issue. Sent the misses into the shop and she says it was the last copy on the shelf. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now