Games We Played In The Past

Eggs ... wise old Sym always attempts to avoid those bear traps.

There was a craze at school in the mid Sixties for talking in code - it was a sort of Pig Latin or Turkish Irish; it was based on letter addition where the first letter of a word in a sentence was added to the end of the previous word. So, "What wise words did old wise Symptoms say today" becomes "Whatw isew ordsd ido ldw iseS ymptomss ayt oday". Whilst I never mastered this code I remember some lads being able to speak it fluently, almost like a second language. There was a suggestion at the time that it was invented in the WW2 prisoner of war camps to prevent Fritz from earwigging-in. I can't remember what we called this code language.

Eggs ... wise old Sym always attempts to avoid those bear traps.

There was a craze at school in the mid Sixties for talking in code - it was a sort of Pig Latin or Turkish Irish; it was based on letter addition where the first letter of a word in a sentence was added to the end of the previous word. So, "What wise words did old wise Symptoms say today" becomes "Whatw isew ordsd ido ldw iseS ymptomss ayt oday". Whilst I never mastered this code I remember some lads being able to speak it fluently, almost like a second language. There was a suggestion at the time that it was invented in the WW2 prisoner of war camps to prevent Fritz from earwigging-in. I can't remember what we called this code language.

Ib owt oy ourw iseness. Onew illw atcho utf ory oura voidancei nf uture. Dam difficult that sir, I'll stick to Sill Wcarlet!

A game me and my brother used to play on the buses was "Hit Signs". Everytime you saw a black H on the yellow background you had to punch one another. (Actually, what did those signs represent? Hydrant?)

post-2953-0-72670000-1373654996_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

A game me and my brother used to play on the buses was "Hit Signs". Everytime you saw a black H on the yellow background you had to punch one another. (Actually, what did those signs represent? Hydrant?)

post-2953-0-72670000-1373654996_thumb.jp

Have you been buying blank signs? Do you have a brother called Harry?

post-3031-0-49419500-1373712594_thumb.pn

The figure at the top is the size of the main that feeds that hydrant in millimetres – so 100mm. The lower figure is the distance from that plaque to where the hydrant is in metres.

Our method of knocky door ginger was to fasten a length of black sewing thread to the door knocker then reel it out to where we hid, usually across the road in some garden opposite. A couple of light pulls of the thread was enough to activate the knocker, the victim would open the door and we'd let the thread go slack. When the victim closed the door we would immediately strike again causing much confusion to the victim; our best score was four repeats before we were clocked and the chase began. What a laugh.

in bebside folklore it was to poo in a newspaper and drop it on the step of intended victim,set ahad..knock...run and hide in wait for the gadgee to stamp it oot..i remember a gadge wearing slippers one time..result..not too good for him..for this i apologise..wonky.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now