Sierra Hire Nissan Hut

I passed the Sierra Hire garage today and caught a glimpse of the nissan hut - set back and to the side of the main building. (The gas tower used to be nearby) Does anyone have any history about the hut.

Edited by keith lockey

Yeah, Malcolm, that and Jordan's. But why is the Nissan hut there? I mean they are pre- 2nd world war, aren't they? I'm sure I read they hark back to the First World War. So why is one in Bedlington?

post-2953-0-78797200-1371292948_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

Tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of these things started going up during the first big bun fight with Fritz back in 1916 and continued in various forms right up until the end of the second bun fight. As they were essentially 'knock-down' constructions they lended themselves to being flogged-off for other uses, so for this reason it's difficult to trace the original use of a specific building or place. Brilliant concept!

Tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of these things started going up during the first big bun fight with Fritz back in 1916 and continued in various forms right up until the end of the second bun fight. As they were essentially 'knock-down' constructions they lended themselves to being flogged-off for other uses, so for this reason it's difficult to trace the original use of a specific building or place. Brilliant concept!

Cheers, Symptoms, I was saying to my brother it could be someone...say like Dixon & Jordan...bought one cheap to house their coaches. (Pure speculation on my part that!) But where would they get one from? The MOD? Bedlington people have seen it and passed by it everyday but no one seems to have any history on it! Fascinating - as Spock would say. (Mr. Spock not the other one.)

Cheers, Symptoms, I was saying to my brother it could be someone...say like Dixon & Jordan...bought one cheap to house their coaches. (Pure speculation on my part that!) But where would they get one from? The MOD? Bedlington people have seen it and passed by it everyday but no one seems to have any history on it! Fascinating - as Spock would say. (Mr. Spock not the other one.)

History Keith,

I must have been ? years younger when I took this pic. Have a guess, bet threegee knows. :o

Edited by foxy

There was millions of tons of all sorts of Government surplus available for the public to buy after WW2. I mentioned in an earlier thread about all this stuff being available in Lisle Street in London in the 60s & 70s and 1000s of other outlets Nationwide. Most civilian freight transport vehicles for maybe 15 years after WW2 were ex-military.

It's amazing what you can still get these days from Government surplus outlets: just go to www.mod-sales.com for a taste. they had helicopters a year ago. Before the recent handgun ban (post Dunblane) and the slightly earlier full-bore semi-automatic rifle ban (post Hungerford) they were even flogging firearms to the public.

I still remember the Army and Navy surplus shop at Blyth. I believe it was where Ethel Austins is - was.

Me and Maria used to go to Tynemouths land of Green Ginger and they had a memorabalia shop upstairs. You could get WWII medals, knives, helmets, etc. The owner let me handle a Winchester "Yellow Boy" carbine. It weighed a ton.

• 1 year later...

My next door neighbour had one for a garden hut,[the size of a garage!,],in the 1950-60's,at Grange Park.

If you go down to Marshe's Crossings,at Sleekburn,turn into Church Avenue,and,without being nosey,just glance at the first hooses,on the way roond,ye'll see wee ones,musta been air raid shelters,aa think,but turned into little coal bunkers,bike sheds ,whatever!![only aboot four feet high!]

Me neighbour,[above],took a part-time job in the M.O.D. big nissen huts,doon sleekburn,[wat used ti be the sugar stores,during and after the war],

after he retired from a lifetime of coalmining.[this was in the mid-1960's].

He had ti sign thi official secrets act,and couldn't tell me wat went on there.

Years later,at Bates Pit,a was gud friends wi a lad,[not working marra's...just gud friends..],and HE had been in the army,and he telt  me that there was huge bunkers underground,beneath the huts,with hundreds of military vehicles,and despatch motorbikes,aalwis ready for thi road ti be caaled on at a minutes notice,in case of emergency...war,disaster,...etc.

Noo,on that subject,he also told me that there was even bigger bunkers,beneath Tranwell airfield,with approx 500 vehicles,"Green Goddesses",[wat was brought oot during the firemen's strike in 1972,and other times.],trucks,jeeps,motorbikes,etc...aal fully serviced and ready ti gaan.

Did anybody ever wonder where the Goddesses came from so quick,during that strike,and then disappear from sight the minute the lads went back to work?.....

Maybe sounds incredible?

Take a trip to "Scotland's Best-Kept Secret", near East Fortune air museum,not far away from Edinburgh!!

A lone farmhoose stands on a lonely moor.........gaan in,pay ya dosh,then gaan doon 200 feet underground,through  a massive thick blast-door,to an incredible sight!

Aam saying nowt mair....Google it folks,but better still,gaan and experience it for a day oot.......!!!!!

Noo wat's aal this slaava got ti dae wi Sierra Nissen hut?

Think aboot it!!

Anybody from coalmining stock,will remember the bait-bags we pitmen carried,wi wa flasks,or waata-bottles,and wa bait,[lunch....samwidges...ti thi uninitiated!!],and they were originally gas-mask satchels during the war.

They were ideal,cos they had a big compartment ,for putting ya bait in,wrapped in newspaper,[nae fancy foodbags or lunchboxes!],and a narrow one,just thi reet size for ya bottle,or flasks when they came in.

We got wa pit belts from thi army and navy stores at Blyth,that is,unless yi got the horse-keeper doon thi pit,ti get yi a leather belt from thi saddler at thi pit.

We also got the black-handled jack-knives,for cutting wa rubber conveyor belts on the coal-face,wa blue pit-sharts,and vests,etc,wa Fustons,[thick moleskin type material troosa's,tuff as hell....ye cudn't wear thi sods oot....!].....oh.....,and a forgot.......wa blue pit-socks!

The stores are a big miss!!

"he also told me that there was even bigger bunkers,beneath Tranwell airfield"

This rings a bell with me; doing some research on old racing circuits in the North I composed a list of disused  airfields - many of which were used for motor sport in the post WW2 years - having been told by a source that Tranwell may have been used in some way. I can find no evidence for such; however, research did uncover the existence of a still-intact underground control centre, so perhaps a bigger bunker for vehicles is not so far fetched? Indeed, during the war Donington Park, in the Midlands, was used a storage depot for military vehicles. Following the end of the war most were simply buried on site; they are still there.

"he also told me that there was even bigger bunkers,beneath Tranwell airfield"

This rings a bell with me; doing some research on old racing circuits in the North I composed a list of disused  airfields - many of which were used for motor sport in the post WW2 years - having been told by a source that Tranwell may have been used in some way. I can find no evidence for such; however, research did uncover the existence of a still-intact underground control centre, so perhaps a bigger bunker for vehicles is not so far fetched? Indeed, during the war Donington Park, in the Midlands, was used a storage depot for military vehicles. Following the end of the war most were simply buried on site; they are still there.

Merc', I've seen pictures of this, either on-site or elswhere. Frustrating cos i can't remember, Get back to you when I find them.

There were a lot of huge underground bunkers,all over the country,during the cold war,mainly to control nuclear warfare from a safe vantage point,and only for the government officials,scientists,engineers,and ivry bugga brainy who would be needed ti start a new civilisation,after we had been nuked!

Us poor bugga's weren't in the running for a seat down there!

I tell you,check oot Scotland's best kept secret.....!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now