Celebrate Bedlington

Full page on Bedlington in this weeks Morpeth Herald.

Roger Hawkins admits that more research could be done maybe the Durham archives.

He suggests that 'There's a gold mine for future local historians of Bedlington and its surrounding villages'

This could be the year to do more Malcolm.

Our connection to Durham and the Lindisfarne Gospels.

Kathryn Tickell mentioned last night the Northumberland Society who tried years ago to get the Gospels to Durham permanently.

Years ago we went to hand in a petition to Downing Street.

Kathryn wanted to play the Northumbrian Pipes but was told busking was not allowed and then threatened with arrest.

Her father thought that would have been good publicity.

Must still be loads of support.

I wonder how the Harrying of the North affected our community.

Hiding in the woods, escape by sea, may have helped.

Records and even a church building would not, necessarily, have survived from that Anglo/ Saxon time.

Buildings were often made of wood and any Stone church may have been recycled.

After all History is written by the victors, maybe the current Norman Church was built by a guilt complex.

We know our town predates the Normans.

This could be the year to do more Malcolm.

Our connection to Durham and the Lindisfarne Gospels.

Kathryn Tickell mentioned last night the Northumberland Society who tried years ago to get the Gospels to Durham permanently.

Years ago we went to hand in a petition to Downing Street.

Kathryn wanted to play the Northumbrian Pipes but was told busking was not allowed and then threatened with arrest.

Her father thought that would have been good publicity.

Must still be loads of support.

You should have tried jumping in front of a horse, I hear that is a great publicity grabber and gets you instant martyrdom not to mention a huge following who think it's a sensible thing to do, especially when it's for a worthy cause! (Just joking!!)

Edited by keith lockey

You should have tried jumping in front of a horse, I hear that is a great publicity grabber and gets you instant martyrdom not to mention a huge following who think it's a sensible thing to do, especially when it's for a worthy cause! (Just joking!!)

I'm keeping it zipped :whistle: Would you like grapes or would you prefer I bring you some other (soft) fruit when I visit you in hospital Mr. L ? .

I'm keeping it zipped :whistle: Would you like grapes or would you prefer I bring you some other (soft) fruit when I visit you in hospital Mr. L ? .

Now, now, Keithy, it was partly in response to the suggestion that WE might throw ourselves in front of a train in protest to EWD tribute - which is on one of the numerous sites dedicated to EWD, not to mention this one that seems to have been hijacked. Can the moderators please condense EWD issues to one site please. (or bring conclusion to the whole affair on the grounds of agree to disagree.) (PS, trying to type with a cat on my lap - sorry for any typos.)

Edited by keith lockey

Now, now, Keithy, it was partly in response to the suggestion that WE might throw ourselves in front of a train in protest to EWD tribute - which is on one of the numerous sites dedicated to EWD, not to mention this one that seems to have been hijacked. Can the moderators please condense EWD issues to one site please. (or bring conclusion to the whole affair on the grounds of agree to disagree.) (PS, trying to type with a cat on my lap - sorry for any typos.)

Must've missed the one about the train.

"Kathryn wanted to play the Northumbrian Pipes"

A great player she is, too. An interesting story on the Northumbrian Pipes, forgive me if I've posted it before: a notable piper named John Peacock, from Morpeth, is known for having produced the very first volume of published music for the pipes (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peacock_%28piper%29); the Northumbrian Pipers Society has reproduced the volume, and original copies are sought after by collectors. A good friend of mine - Tom Caisley, now resident in Bedlington - owns not just an original copy, but THE original, hand-written manuscript from which the printed versions were taken. His father obtained it - how and why is lost in history - and left it to Tom on the explicit instructions that the Society, with whom he apparently had issues, were on no account to get their hands on it. For this reason, it will most likely never be put up for sale; it is a truly interesting document which I have had the pleasure of handling.

Folklore of Northumbria by Fran and Geoff Doel published by the History Press in 2009, has a chapter on the songs of the people.

They say John Peacock played the Northumbrian Small Pipes in1830s and was called the Paganini of the North.

They also say Northumbria has the biggest range of traditional songs and music of any English region.

In 2001 the university of Newcastle launched a ' Folk and Traditional' Music Performance' degree.

This has been successful in keeping our traditional music alive.

Kathryn Tickell is also involved with young people keeping our traditions alive.

She has updated music performance to include Breakdancing together with Clog dancing.

They all performed at one of the Olympic ceremonies.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now