Picnic Field And The Band Stand

Raising the profile of our little town is important.

How many famous people have spoken from the band stand.

It seems we are in for money to refurbish.

I bet we have some brilliant memories, mine are

a bit hazy. I guess the shows were more important. I did always go down but now an action replay of those times would be great. Maybe a time machine

Raising the profile of our little town is important.

How many famous people have spoken from the band stand.

It seems we are in for money to refurbish.

I bet we have some brilliant memories, mine are

a bit hazy. I guess the shows were more important. I did always go down but now an action replay of those times would be great. Maybe a time machine

Depends who you class as Famous People, We have had Major Labour Party Names, Clement Attlee, Harold Wilson, Jim Callaghan, Micheal Foot, John Prescott and many others, N.U.M Leaders including Joe Gormley and Arthur Scargill, so all depends on who you class as famous people.

Maybe not important people to some.

However if we want to raise the profile of our forgotten town then they are worth publicity.

The Northumberland Miners Picnic was and still is important.

Now it is History and very worthwhile to record as such. That is regardless of your politics or lack of them.

We have Ken Russell recording the event and then many years later doing an update.

Bedlington is important in so very many ways.

The speakers are part of the History and story.

the band stand is exactly as i remember it from as a child...i can remember it so far back that i had to climb up it i was so small to the last time a few weeks ago i hopped up the front and realised i had grown quite a bit since the last time..i shared some happy times at the bandstand and remember the picnics well though did not really take much heed of the speaches that went on..there were some famous fellas up there though..as it stands now its looking pretty drab and dated..reminds me of killingworth of the eighties and places like that..if it were to be refurbished and funding was available surely it would be more feasable to knock it and move with the times and update it..attlee park is a natrual ampitheartre and a decent stage or bowl a little further down the hill would make more sense..use the natrual slope and create somthing wonderfull..painting a blank concrete wall is always going to attract vandals to grafitti so build somthing with natural stone and it wont look so attractive to the bungo loves lovebug brigade. surely the councill would stage more events,,opera..sit down on the grass and watch a movie.. dont quite know how the two main homeowners neighboring the park would react to planning ect but i am sure that if planning was right and people clung together the place would be wonderful again..on my last visit a few weeks ago i went down there for a walk and hung out in the carpapk for an hour or so and noticed it was mainly old ladies with special doggie ramps for their poor half crippled dogs that were using the park..all well and good when they clean up,whitch they did but the park has so much more to offer on a sunny day. who was it that said if we build it people will come ??...anyways...

There is a folk story about a young lad playing a trick on the Venerable Bede who was old and could not see.

He took him to a natural hollow and said lots of people were waiting for him to speak.

The lad got worried because the speech was so inspiring. At the end birds, animals and the wind made so much noise that it sounded like a great crowd.

The lad dedicated his life to the church.

Our Natural Ampitheatre could be part of that story!

Been trying for funding to do exactly that Wonky! (It looks like a 1950's bus shelter to me!) I was told the idea was way too ambitious and we HAD to protect the historical context!

Stop Press............It has been short-listed for funding to at least change the appearance a little, much more like a 'traditional' bandstand and upgrading the area surrounding it too.

Another thought after reading the Leader!

Bedlington Community Centre this week has an evening if classical music.

The Sage is mentioned together with a String Quarter from The ROYAL Northern Sinfonia. Perhaps more important for Bedlington the Northumbrian Piper Alice Burn.

I know of two families with that name in Bedlington, just maybe we have a link.

After that Wonky must know musicians and could gain fame and fortune by playing at an event.

Maybe he is already famous and hides his qualities and musical connections.

• 1 year later...

Heh heh!....the bandstand!

When I was aboot five years aad,[in 1066...!],naa, in 1949-ish,the picnic field was a luvly grazing meadow,with a herd of coos wi greet corly-horns.........!!

It wasn't a picnic field then.

We [ my little mate,and our two older Sisters,]used ti gaan doon ti thi river ti play,and fish for "Tommies"[smaal catfish].

We used ti catch them wi wor hands ,put them in a jar,then let them away before we came back up Bedltn bank,ti Hollymoont Square,where we lived.

A can mind when thi Cooncil started ti build the Bandstand,cos it was a steel girder framework,for a while,and an excellent climbing frame,which was indestructible!

Then the frame was re-enforced wi concrete and stone,and an even better climbing frame!

We had some extremely hot summer days in that field,on picnic days,and there used to be over 100,000 visitors to Bedlington,many of who used ti mek thi trek doon ti hear thi speeches and just enjoy a picnic in the most beautiful setting in Bedlington!

Aaaa...happy days!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now