Hide Adverts

Hi Eggy! Aav seen this pic amang a set of others. Gud ti see sum of the lads.. brings back memories! Gordon Hickson second left, Billy Smith second right, aav forgotten the other lads names... last days afore Bates closed... if  not THE last day. 

12 minutes ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hi Eggy! Aav seen this pic amang a set of others. Gud ti see sum of the lads.. brings back memories! Gordon Hickson second left, Billy Smith second right, aav forgotten the other lads names... last days afore Bates closed... if  not THE last day. 

I'll see if I can get the names of the other four from Facebook - sixtownships history group.

As well as the two you named quite a few names been offered up - Andy Wallace - Mick Gainford - Mick Collins - Les Welch - Ted Redford - Gordon Bennet's brother - ? Steele & Phil Clarke.

From the comments i think this is the best I can come up with :-  

41788157 named.jpg

@HIGH PIT WILMA - Alan Dickson (was from Barrinton  and worked at Bates but would have been living elsewhere when at Bates) reckons Steele & Clarke for Nos 2 & 5. I will close down for tonight and check Facebook tomorrow to see what comments have been added:)

41788157 named.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

This was a set of canny lads,of which there were loads of sets in the pit.

Faceworkers were grouped into "Sets",such as the Caunchmen..[stonemen]..The "Bumpers"[who advanced the Armoured Face Conveyor as the Shearer passed through the coalface],Advanced Heading men,Shearer men,Composite men..and so on.

Gordon and Billy,[above] were on the face I worked on in 1971 [84'sFace in the Beaumont Seam],which was my first appointment as a Deputy on that face.

Sadly,lots of men and young lads are no longer with us,so it is fitting that Families and friends can see these pics as mementoes.

• Like 1

@HIGH PIT WILMA - one of the sixtownship members, Henry Dobson, has posted more of the newspaper article - he got the cutting from Andy Wallace :-  

41673932_2335173143166643_4574780283575861248_o.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts