Coal Mining

This pic is of John Marshall of Barrington who was a sinker for the Bedlington Coal Company.

He is pictured in his uniform during World War One.

John Marshall worked on widening the Margery Shaft at Bedlington 'A' Pit.

Four of Mr Marshalls five sons also worked with him in the pits at various times.

John Marshall retired in 1951, aged 70 years.

Its nice to put history online that is of interest to the forum users.

Anyone related to him ?

I will put more up soon.

post-1337-0-20733600-1370904135_thumb.jp

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

This pic is of John Marshall of Barrington who was a sinker for the Bedlington Coal Company.

He is pictured in his uniform during World War One.

John Marshall worked on widening the Margery Shaft at Bedlington 'A' Pit.

Four of Mr Marshalls five sons also worked with him in the pits at various times.

John Marshall retired in 1951, aged 70 years.

Its nice to put history online that is of interest to the forum users.

Anyone related to him ?

I will put more up soon.

Nice shine on the boots, spurs on and his tunic buttons up the wrong way! or did they fasten that in those days?

John - those images of the 'application form' are great .... what sort of date would they have been?

I would say Symptoms they are just before the Coal Industry was Nationalised, 1946 would be my guess because the coal industry was Nationalised on the 1st January 1947 and the Coal Industry Nationalisation Act was passed in 1946 and it say "The mines are to be Nationalised" in the "application form."

John - those images of the 'application form' are great .... what sort of date would they have been?

It was 1946, Symptoms as it was just before the mines were Nationalised on January 1st 1947.

With Nationalisation came new coal cutting machines and, thousands of miners were wanted, including apprentices.

Just as Adam has posted is correct.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

My Dad thinks the Winderman from the A pit had the surname White and lived near the colliery managers buildings opposite Liddels garage in Bomarsund.

He had a brother who ran a stonemasons/memorials business.

post-1337-0-18809200-1371420294_thumb.jpg

Official accounts suggest that women were not employed underground at any pits in the Northumberland and Durham coalfields but I'm sure they must have done so in the very early days.

Check-out the Beeb's website for film clips of the NE coalfields: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/topics/coal-mining/ ... maybe this link has been posted previously. Have a look at the "Sorting Coal" clip to see women working at the screens.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now