"the Budgie"

Bedlington Station shelter, that was back off the road at the bottom of South Row before the chemists and railway gates, was referred to as The Budgie Hut and as The Lone Ranger says the placque on the shelter was BUDC that we pitmatic lot traslated into The Budgie Hut. Can we find photos of the Red Lion & Bedlington Budgies?

Bedlington Station shelter, that was back off the road at the bottom of South Row before the chemists and railway gates, was referred to as The Budgie Hut and as The Lone Ranger says the placque on the shelter was BUDC that we pitmatic lot traslated into The Budgie Hut. Can we find photos of the Red Lion & Bedlington Budgies?

Iv'e got a more recent similar pic but for some reason it won't upload, after iv'e recovered my laptop from the back garden and replaced the broken window I'll have another try :devil:

Edited by foxy

I have clear memories of lots of older working blokes 'squatting on their honkers' whilst waiting at bus stops ... I was told by my Uncle that it was a fairly comfortable position for them due to a lifetime working in narrow/low pit seams, often squatting with bended knees.

Iv'e got a more recent similar pic but for some reason it won't upload, after iv'e recovered my laptop from the back garden and replaced the broken window I'll have another try :devil:

There is a close up on this site, in the Gallery, when it was 'unveilled' in 1953 for the coronation, with The Picnic Queens:-

post-3031-0-15176200-1370966512_thumb.jp

Foxy - your recent photo, from your latest hiking expedition, with rear view of rucksack, is rather outstanding.

Paul - The Station hut was much more up market - smelt of beer, tabs and piddle.

post-3031-0-98956400-1370965914_thumb.jp

Edited by Eggy1948

aye,the budge, happy memories of courting this lass from the rows and kissing and cudling in the budge at the red lion waiting for the bus home..cant remember what time the last bus was at but remember well the happy tingly feel of being in love..her mother would often say.." dont be hanging round all nite in the budge as someone will be telling your dad and you know what will happen then"

lol..there was a few times that i would miss the last bus just for that extra time together and end up walking home to the sound of my mother saying.."have you been up to bedlington with that dorty lass again".

there was definatly a strong smell of wee in the corner and a strong smell of woodbine too..

the guy in the above picture wearing the glasses was a trendsetter in his day..i just paid 150 euros for some specs like those..gok wans frames,pure designer stuff..i was wearing them at work and one guy asked did they not have any other ones and another said the last time he saw glasses like that alf garnett was wearing them..lmao

aye,the budge, happy memories of courting this lass from the rows and kissing and cudling in the budge at the red lion waiting for the bus home..cant remember what time the last bus was at but remember well the happy tingly feel of being in love..her mother would often say.." dont be hanging round all nite in the budge as someone will be telling your dad and you know what will happen then"

lol..there was a few times that i would miss the last bus just for that extra time together and end up walking home to the sound of my mother saying.."have you been up to bedlington with that dorty lass again".

there was definatly a strong smell of wee in the corner and a strong smell of woodbine too..

the guy in the above picture wearing the glasses was a trendsetter in his day..i just paid 150 euros for some specs like those..gok wans frames,pure designer stuff..i was wearing them at work and one guy asked did they not have any other ones and another said the last time he saw glasses like that alf garnett was wearing them..lmao

lmao, I did - 'gok wans; not have any others, Alf Garnet'. Start a new topic Wonky - Specs thru the ages. I remmeber my first set - Horn rimmed and I think they cost, me mam, approx 14shillings 7 8pence (no idea why that specific figure popped out of memory banks). I know I have a photo (1959?) filed away. Probably took them off before entering the station budgie to remain cool!

Well u learn something new everyday, I always thought the budge was the shelter on the corner opposite the church, thank u for making my night, so funny.

My mother had a pair of shoes like the ones the lady on the far left is wearing. Hers were grey leather and she loved them. Mom died in 2001 and had kept those shoes all those years after we emigrated in 1957. In fact, because they meant so much to her I still have them. Who'd have guessed!

yes anne from hartford they really were stylish shoes worn by miss choppington in the picture and a dream for a foot fetishist..lol..compared to the other frumpys in the pic she sure would cut a nice rug on the dance floor..its funny people keep stuff like that..my wife has a whole room full of shoes and still chooses to wander the house and street in her slipper boots that are hanging off her feet..what really disturbs me the most about this picture is the toilet paper that is on the ground..either some miner who was squatting on his honkers in the budge left it behind or it was dragged in by the heels of one of those frumpys and has been overlooked by the photographer..i really am puzzled by this also are those shoes slingbacks with a kitten heel...cant sleep...lol Edited by wonky

I remember telling our mothers we were going to mass at St Johns Church on Xmas Eve and just sitting in the Budge at midnight thinking it was really clever. Sad eh.

thats wrong..i will have four our fathers and two hail marys..lol

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now