Bebside Furnace 1940 -1952

Reedy

On old maps there is a 'Paradise Row' running almost parallel to the river. At right angles to this, is another row 'Stone Row'. On later maps and parallel to Stone Row is a third row (the B1330 runs between these two rows). The third row seems to have been built on to at some point, making it the longest and therefore, presumably, housing most families. Does anybody know the name of this row? Brick Row is one suggestion. I know there were at least 14 houses on Brick Row, possibly more. On seeing this list I'm wondering about Purvis Row or Old Gate - both have lots of residents.  Also, does anybody know what happened to Paradise Row? It's not on the list from 1940-1952

Canny Lass - what map are you looking at, the B1330 is further north, at Red Row on the way to Amble, on all the maps I look at.

Are you looking at the maps on :- http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=16&lat=55.1335&lon=-1.5654&layers=39&b=1&point=55.1326,-1.5691 - 1858 through to 1947?

I always thought Reedy's list covers the rows, on the Bebside side of the river,between the Furnace Bridge and heading East to the railway bridge. 

I know that doesn't help with - 'What happened to Paradise Row?' and I doubt there is any details on-line, but I will have a search, or two. 

Bebside Furnace families 1940-52.jpg

1892 Paradise Row.jpg

Hi Eggy. Thanks for having a look at this. I haven't looked at this map but I have looked at http://maps.nls.uk/view/91629905 from 1948 and there the B1330 (Road, Ministry of Transport, class 2 according to the key) goes straight through between the two rows of houses.

I've also looked at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/420220/582062/10/100708 where it's marked even more clearly with B1330 written exactly between the two rows.

Brick Row, I haven't found on any map but I see from a marriage certificate that it existed in 1925.

11 hours ago, Canny lass said:

goes straight through between the two rows of houses.

Your right, I was using Google, it's way out showing the B1330 as Red Row but the B1331 as Steadlane up to Vulcan Place. 

I must start using road numbers rather than pubs when giving directions! 

Google B1330.png

Thanks, Eggy. I've seen these articles but they give no information as to the whereabouts of Brick Row. I'm in the process of doing a round of the streets in Bebside and Bebside Furnace on the 1911 census. I've found Brick Row but haven't been able to place it on a map as yet. I'll keep looking. You don't happen to know, which of your yellow stars on the map relates to which street by any chance?

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Thanks, Eggy. I've seen these articles but they give no information as to the whereabouts of Brick Row. I'm in the process of doing a round of the streets in Bebside and Bebside Furnace on the 1911 census. I've found Brick Row but haven't been able to place it on a map as yet. I'll keep looking. You don't happen to know, which of your yellow stars on the map relates to which street by any chance?

Unfortunately not. 

Couldn't find any evidence of a Brick Row.

Could probably come up with a Stephen Fry type 'dubious theory' on Paradise Row, Stone Row, Back Stone Row & Sea View based on how things changed within the publications of the 1897 - 1922 - 1937 & 1959 maps but it's facts we need.

No facts iro the buildings come with this, but have you seen this c1930 photo (from one of Evan Martins books) of the Furnace Bridge area that in the background shows the Bebside rows you are looking into? 

Bebside part of Furnace area3.jpg

• Like 1

I think I may have cracked it, Eggy. What we see in that picture, if my search has lead me in the right direction, is:

The row to the far left is Brick Row.

The row, barely visible except for its chimneys, is Sea View.

The row of rooftops almost on the horizon and at right angles to Sea View, is 'Paradise Row'.

If you look at any map after 1901 and imagine the view from half way down the Furnace bank, the view above is what you would see. Even the row in front of Sea View is mapped together with the two gable ends of buildings to its fore.

However, I now believe that 'Paradise Row' was better known as 'Wood Row'. The name Wood Row does not appear on any maps I've seen but equally, the name 'Paradise Row' does not appear in any census summary books, going back as far as 1871. The name 'Wood Row' appears in the schedules exactly before Sea View - its neighbour.,and has 15 dwellings, as does' Paradise Row' on the maps. 

As for Brick Row. It first appears in the 1901 census listed between West Row (Bebside) and Sea View (Bebside Furnace), being the first row encountered after the walk from Bebside. The enumerators worked very methodically. It must have been built at some time between 1891 and 1901 and  the only building to appear on maps at this time is the row running parallel to Sea View. Interestingly, the enumerator writes in the summary book "Brick Row or New Row, Sea View". The names he gives are in themselves quite revealing. Wood Row, may well have been built of wood, as were the first miner's houses at Netherton.  The new row, was given the name Brick Row for obvious reasons and some residents probably called it Sea View as it was on the same road. Many other roads in the Bebside area, Front Street, West Row etc., have housing on both sides - even numbers on one, odd numbers on the other. The adress, however, is the same on both sides.

Another interesting find is that the 1901 census summary book lists Sea View nrs. 1-6 and adjoining them we have Stone Row back and Stone Row front. On the 1938 map (I think it was 1938). 

Edited by Canny lass

On 6/7/2016 at 22:55, Canny lass said:

Hi Eggy. Thanks for having a look at this. I haven't looked at this map but I have looked at http://maps.nls.uk/view/91629905 from 1948 and there the B1330 (Road, Ministry of Transport, class 2 according to the key) goes straight through between the two rows of houses.

I've also looked at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/420220/582062/10/100708 where it's marked even more clearly with B1330 written exactly between the two rows.

Brick Row, I haven't found on any map but I see from a marriage certificate that it existed in 1925.

That old-maps site has many more maps from the different eras than the National Library of Scotland but I get the impression the old mapmaker must have spent some time in the Bebside Inn & The Rose and Crown? Paradise Row appears to be the only row where the name doesn't change through time.

I couldn't find a Brick row either. Only one close was a Back Row (with a Front Row in front of it) but that was across the river on the Bedlington side at the top of the Furnace bank.

I have 'book marked' the old-maps site for future reference. 

Back to square one, Eggy. I've just discovered that Bebside Furnace and Bebside Colliery were part of the Cowpen enumeration district until they changed to the Bebside district some time prior to the 1911 census! I've found them now. However, within the Cowpen district, Bebside Furnace lies in 3 different registration districts. This is a bit like doing a jig-saw puzzle without the picture on the box lid and just to make it a bit more 'challenging' the pieces aren't all in the same room let alone on the same table!

Shame on those who give up easily! I'll report back in another week or so but until then be assured that my theory on Paradise and Wood Row was totally wrong but still holds strong for Brick Row.  

Still haven't found Purvis Row!

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 18:51, Reedy said:

Eggy, Dad might have a family photograph of the Woods family. I'm between computers and external hard drives at the moment until I move house but when I'm sorted I'll send it to you.

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 18:51, Reedy said:

Eggy, Dad might have a family photograph of the Woods family. I'm between computers and external hard drives at the moment until I move house but when I'm sorted I'll send it to you.

Hi, I think I am related to the Woods so if you did have any pictures that would be great to see if possible as just started researching.

• 2 years later...
On 24/11/2014 at 19:51, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Thanks Reedy - I will email the info to the lady who posted :- 

155115_103989186339567_7558227_n.jpg?oh=

Pauline Appleby

24 November 14:07

PaulineAppleby nee Mackay i was born here 1945 my Mam Alice was born here 1920. Dene house belonged to my great grandparents the Wood family the pop people.

I am the grandson to Edward Wood who lived at Dene House.  He told me a lot about the Woods drinks business when I was a child.  I understand there was a big family fallout and Edward moved away to Grimsby.  I wanted to know more about the Wood family and who still resides in the Bedlington area.  A.Wood - East Yorkshire.

Edited by Alex Wood

19 hours ago, Alex Wood said:

I am the grandson to Edward Wood who lived at Dene House.  He told me a lot about the Woods drinks business when I was a child.  I understand there was a big family fallout and Edward moved away to Grimsby.  I wanted to know more about the Wood family and who still resides in the Bedlington area.  A.Wood - East Yorkshire.

@Alex Wood - I can't remember seeing any comments on any of the topics on this site from members of the Wood family.  

There are a couple of photos of the Wood Sons factory and the area around Dene House. Have you found the photos, on this group, or would you like me to post them all for you? 

4 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Alex Wood - I can't remember seeing any comments on any of the topics on this site from members of the Wood family.  

There are a couple of photos of the Wood Sons factory and the area around Dene House. Have you found the photos, on this group, or would you like me to post them all for you? 

Would you be so kind to email them to me, thank you.

1 hour ago, Alex Wood said:

Would you be so kind to email them to me, thank you.

Alex - I can do that - I have taken a copy of your email address.

There is also a method of 'Downloading' images that have been posted to your Download folder on whatever device you are using to access this group. If you select an image that has been posted it expands and then when you right click (if using mouse)  on the expanded image you get the option to 'save image as' or 'copy image'.

I will ask Admin, @Andy Millne - @John Fox (foxy) to remove your email address from your comment. It's just a safeguard as it stops 'spammers' getting access to members email addresses:). If you want to pass personal info to another member it's best to use the 'Private' Message system = white envelope  at the top right hand corner of the blue banner at the top of ever screen.

I will message you and the email you:).

@Alex Wood if your ever in the area this is the 2019 Google aerial  view of the Furnace Bank are with the location of those old photos I sent you marked on the view :- 

Furnace Bank.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

On 01/06/2013 at 11:24, Reedy said:

FRONT STONE ROW

I Lewelynn, J Spowart, J Pearson, Fergusson, J Tate, T Smith, J Barr, Burns, J Conner, Brewis, Wilson.

BACK STONE ROW

A Anderson, J Leightley, J Wilson, S Brooks, F Jackson, Hedley, Bell.

OLDGATE

Gray, Sharp, F Parr, T Moffit, J Bissett, Mularkey, Sheilds, Charlton, Middlemiss, Farr, Fergusson, D Hodgetts, T Parks, Murrey, Scougal, G Kirk, P Ord.

UNDER BRIDGE

Simms, Kelly, Milligan.

FARM

Pringle.

post-3028-0-20758500-1370082099_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-43301700-1370082156_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-65414000-1370082183_thumb.jp

In another topic on the Bedlington Facebook groups an Anthony Parker has posted some info and a photo on Front Stone Row :-

Anthony Tucker
Anthony Tucker I seem to be the only person left that actually lived in Stone Row.
I lived with my Uncle Jimmy & Aunt Rosina 
Bruce,on your list it is Brewis, I sent you a picture of me with the railway bridge in the back ground. I am 87 and still have memories of living there,outside midden and all.if I can help let me know.I will draw what I remember.
Tony Tucker

Anthony Tucker at Stone Row.jpg

When I added the text to Anthony's photo he commented :-

Anthony Tucker
Anthony Tucker Just about where you have put your arrow is where I used to fish for eels.I can remember where my family were living.
My uncle Stephen and Aunt Margie lived in Stakeford.My Uncle Bob and aunt Annie moody in Barrington.Uncle Fred and aunt Mary in Shinney
 Row.Uncle Jack and aunt Laura on Sheepwash Bank.Uncle John and aunt Vera.Uncle Harry and aunt Katie lived in Bedlington.They were all Tucker’s, my father was 
Patrick and my mum was Sally Tucker. We are the Tucker ‘s ,Wards ,
Moody 's, Bruce’s,Thornton’s . 
I hope that you will have some help from my memories.Good night and God Bless 
Tony Tucker
Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 1 year later...

My family were living on Sea View (aka Sea View Row) in the 1851 census, so just to say hi and thanks for the information in this thread.  They seem to have been living right near the ironworks (though moving around different streets) for a couple of generations; one was a hammerman around the 1850s and another a waterman/keelman around the 1820s.  My gran's gran, who was born there in 1850, later moved to Newcastle and was married to a teacher.

17 hours ago, brooksburns said:

My family were living on Sea View (aka Sea View Row) in the 1851 census, so just to say hi and thanks for the information in this thread.  They seem to have been living right near the ironworks (though moving around different streets) for a couple of generations; one was a hammerman around the 1850s and another a waterman/keelman around the 1820s.  My gran's gran, who was born there in 1850, later moved to Newcastle and was married to a teacher.

👍 - hopefully you downloaded any images of the area that fit in with your family.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now