Bebside Furnace 1940 -1952

Reedy

Continuing on from the lists of families I posted on the 'Puddlers Raa' topic in History Hollow, here is a list of the families who lived in the streets on the Bebside part of the 'Furnace' area during the period 1940 - 1952. Hopefully they'll help with someones research.

I've also posted 3 pictures which show quite a few buildings and streets (couldn't tell you the date though). The first 2 make a good panorama if you put them side by side.

PURVIS ROW

G Jackson, N Gauld, J Lannen,J Bartlett, Watson, J Weiighill, J Cummings, N Harvey, Sherrington, T Murday, J Conner, W Tate, J Beecroft, S McGarry,

B Hills, A Purdham, N Race, H Tosney, Powers.

NEWGATE

Bolam, B Hedley, Fergusson, Gray, Yellowley.

OCEAN VIEW

Drakesfield, T Simons, J Robson, J Jackson, J Tuck.

TOLL HOUSE

A Gray.

BRIDGE HOUSE

Munley, J Harrison.

SEVEN POPLARS

Warren, Moss, Hedley.

WOOD ROW

R Chapman, Coulson, T Kelly, Wood, B Scott, H Stobbs, H Smith, Hunter, W Forshaw, Brown, Young, Hemsley, Winter, J Parker, W Nelson.

FRONT STONE ROW

I Lewelynn, J Spowart, J Pearson, Fergusson, J Tate, T Smith, J Barr, Burns, J Conner, Brewis, Wilson.

BACK STONE ROW

A Anderson, J Leightley, J Wilson, S Brooks, F Jackson, Hedley, Bell.

OLDGATE

Gray, Sharp, F Parr, T Moffit, J Bissett, Mularkey, Sheilds, Charlton, Middlemiss, Farr, Fergusson, D Hodgetts, T Parks, Murrey, Scougal, G Kirk, P Ord.

UNDER BRIDGE

Simms, Kelly, Milligan.

FARM

Pringle.

post-3028-0-20758500-1370082099_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-43301700-1370082156_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-65414000-1370082183_thumb.jp

great pictures..the last time i saw the place looking like that it was in a local history lesson back in bebside middle school and i also couldnt put a date on it...lol

its amazing that this has all gone now..i recognise loads of the surnames in the list and growing up in bebside there were quite a few that were probably rehoused around kitty brewster estate..we used to dig for bottles down there and would often find the odd blue medicine bottles..the place must have been rank with illness i`m guessing..it would be interesting to find a date..i will ask me mother at the weekend..she knows evrything my dad tells me.lol

well ..ive been talking to the parents and opened up a whole can of worms !!..lol my grand parents were from purvis row and were moved out to front st,bebside a long long time ago..mother couldnt date it exactly..she remembers visiting her uncle harry there as a child .she reconed most people from the furnace area were moved to cowpen 1st and then rehoused again when the new houses at kitty brewster were built. she also said that most people who would be able to remember these houses would probably be dead by now. witch was somthing i had kind of worked out myself.lol.

since opening this can of worms she is going off to see my great uncle who is still of this world and 15 years older than herself to find out more..

one fact she did get right was it was before my time and the houses had definatly been demolished before she was courting my dad..figures mentioned were.1943,1947.1953..though what this means is beyond me !!..just like my history teacher said in an old school report...james does not listen,his mind is elsewhere.must try harder..think he might have been right..cheers,

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

two families missed out from front stone row bebside furnace.

Atkinson at 20 stone row (i think it was 20) and Norman next door.

you already have Brewis on your list and George brewis was dora brewis's brother who was the wife of jim atkinson.

both jim and george worked at bebside colliery as most everyone else did ( i think)

• 7 months later...

Continuing on from the lists of families I posted on the 'Puddlers Raa' topic in History Hollow, here is a list of the families who lived in the streets on the Bebside part of the 'Furnace' area during the period 1940 - 1952. Hopefully they'll help with someones research.

I've also posted 3 pictures which show quite a few buildings and streets (couldn't tell you the date though). The first 2 make a good panorama if you put them side by side.

PURVIS ROW

G Jackson, N Gauld, J Lannen,J Bartlett, Watson, J Weiighill, J Cummings, N Harvey, Sherrington, T Murday, J Conner, W Tate, J Beecroft, S McGarry,

B Hills, A Purdham, N Race, H Tosney, Powers.

NEWGATE

Bolam, B Hedley, Fergusson, Gray, Yellowley.

OCEAN VIEW

Drakesfield, T Simons, J Robson, J Jackson, J Tuck.

TOLL HOUSE

A Gray.

BRIDGE HOUSE

Munley, J Harrison.

SEVEN POPLARS

Warren, Moss, Hedley.

WOOD ROW

R Chapman, Coulson, T Kelly, Wood, B Scott, H Stobbs, H Smith, Hunter, W Forshaw, Brown, Young, Hemsley, Winter, J Parker, W Nelson.

FRONT STONE ROW

I Lewelynn, J Spowart, J Pearson, Fergusson, J Tate, T Smith, J Barr, Burns, J Conner, Brewis, Wilson.

BACK STONE ROW

A Anderson, J Leightley, J Wilson, S Brooks, F Jackson, Hedley, Bell.

OLDGATE

Gray, Sharp, F Parr, T Moffit, J Bissett, Mularkey, Sheilds, Charlton, Middlemiss, Farr, Fergusson, D Hodgetts, T Parks, Murrey, Scougal, G Kirk, P Ord.

UNDER BRIDGE

Simms, Kelly, Milligan.

FARM

Pringle.

Reedy - Ok if I copy this info, and photo, into a posting on the sixtownships History Group site? There are a few asking about Dene house and one ex resident, born there 1945 her mother born there 1920, so they should find it interesting. The posting is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1473242359580083/permalink/1556278291276489/ and the posting header, by John Dawson, is :- " Dene House, Bedlington undated

Situated where the car park is today."

post-3031-0-51864000-1416839617_thumb.jp

Happy for the info to go onto websites but I've held back on putting any new pictures on here as I was alerted that some personal pictures had been claimed by others who then posted them elsewhere and possibly made a profit from them.

It's a shame because it stops people adding to their own collections. Dad has hundreds of Bedlington pictures but has never tried to profit from them. We're happy to help people and have sent photos by personal message or email rather than posting them.

This is a great website but possibly gets misused sometimes. Love the history hollow and Dad enjoys trying to identify people and places. Good job by the site administrators thank you.

• Like 1

Happy for the info to go onto websites but I've held back on putting any new pictures on here as I was alerted that some personal pictures had been claimed by others who then posted them elsewhere and possibly made a profit from them.

It's a shame because it stops people adding to their own collections. Dad has hundreds of Bedlington pictures but has never tried to profit from them. We're happy to help people and have sent photos by personal message or email rather than posting them.

This is a great website but possibly gets misused sometimes. Love the history hollow and Dad enjoys trying to identify people and places. Good job by the site administrators thank you.

Thanks Reedy - I will email the info to the lady who posted :- 

155115_103989186339567_7558227_n.jpg?oh=

Pauline Appleby

24 November 14:07

PaulineAppleby nee Mackay i was born here 1945 my Mam Alice was born here 1920. Dene house belonged to my great grandparents the Wood family the pop people.

Reedy ... it's a shame that you're reluctant to post your Dad's pics here, but I fully understand your reasons.  One of the joys of the Forum is the historic pics folks post as they are quite rare;  very, very few working people could afford cameras or film back then, and those who could just about manage always did their own processing at home.

Have you considered either, watermarking your dad's photos or publishing an index of what you have.  As you have to scan the original snaps or negs into digital form watermarking becomes very easy using free/cheepo/expensive software.  Worth considering so you can publish here and we can all enjoy, plus the bastards out there can't remove your visible watermark.

Reedy my grandmother used to live on Purvis Row she is the daughter of Norman Gauld (Cathy) I was reading her the names of all of the neighbours - I needn't have bothered she is as sharp as a tack and could reel them off. I've asked her to have a look through her photos to see if she has any of her time living at Bebside. I don't suppose you have any pictures of the Gauld's or where they lived that you would be willing to share? If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to ask and see if she remembers.

Thanks Ben

Sorry Ben, Dad doesn't have any photos of any of your relatives or any others who lived there.

Tonyg, my Uncle and Auntie (George and Mildred Tyrie) lived in Bridge End and eventually moved to Melrose Avenue at the top of the bank.

• 4 weeks later...

Norma Squires & her mam posted another photo of Dene House, from the Hairpin bend side of the river and also asked the question - 'Whats that small building, on the right, next to the bridge wall'. Does anyone know if this is The Toll House that Reedy listed in the original post?

post-3031-0-25758300-1419693042_thumb.jp

Norma Squires & her mam posted another photo of Dene House, from the Hairpin bend side of the river and also asked the question - 'Whats that small building, on the right, next to the bridge wall'. Does anyone know if this is The Toll House that Reedy listed in the original post?

attachicon.gifToll House.jpg

What I should have said was - 'Is this the Toll Booth that belonged to the Toll House?'

• 1 year later...

Reedy - update to your dad's list - The Families from Bedside Furnance 1940-1952 -  from a Bygone Bedlington member :-

'Bridge House was divided into two dwellings the downstairs was occupied by Mrs Munley and daughter Margaret and Mr Harrison.The upstairs was occupied by my wifes parents Mr.R.Parker and Mrs Queenie Parker from Early 1930s to 1944 after which time they moved to 18 Back Stone Row living between Mr.Stan Brooks and Mr & Mrs Leightley'

Bebside Furnace families 1940-52 update.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now