Bolam Place

Thought I'd share these three family snaps with you from days we lived at Bolam Place. As you can see the Pioneer Boot Factory is at the top and beyond that the Dr. Pit. You can also see the scouts huts - which are still there. (PS the kid in the pram isn't Brad Pitt, it's me....I know there is a remarkable likeness but...)

post-2953-0-74047900-1369336818_thumb.jppost-2953-0-57229500-1369336837_thumb.jppost-2953-0-52731800-1369336847_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

Thought I'd share these three family snaps with you from days we lived at Bolam Place. As you can see the Pioneer Boot Factory is at the top and beyond that the Dr. Pit. You can also see the scouts huts - which are still there. (PS the kid in the pram isn't Brad Pitt, it's me....I know there is a remarkable likeness but...)

post-2953-0-74047900-1369336818_thumb.jppost-2953-0-57229500-1369336837_thumb.jppost-2953-0-52731800-1369336847_thumb.jp

Great pics those Keith.

The photographer concentrated on the family but what good images of the pit ect.

Thanks for sharing those Keith.

Its not the Dr. pit though Keith, its the Station pit. You lived near John Douglas, Baz Thomas and Micky Harnett ( Zeke) I think. If you remember I was knocking arround with Ted Buckham who lived behind you. (He lives in Dereham, Norfolk now )

Cheers, Keith, I typed in Dr. Pit then thought ...hold on...it's station...no it isn't because there was a Dr A & B. To be bl..dy honest I still get mixed up after all these years. It is also embarrassing because my dad died down Dr Pit. (He was dead when those photos were taken.) My mother would never talk about it so we got to know odds and ends from others. So let's get this straight Keith, the pit in the photos is Station Pit? So the Dr A pit must be up the top end where the rows (raas) used to be? But which one was the old pit?

Edited by keith lockey

the station pit was the old pit' can you remember the mercer family

Cheers Tonyg. Yeah I vaguely remember the Mercers. We used to live at Number 7, but we left Bolam Place when I was about four years old, so my memories of the place are limited. But was the Old Pit Dr A or Dr B? Or am I totally wrong here? As I say, I was too young to take anything in.

Edited by keith lockey

can you remember mary miller ; and the dixon family

No, can't say I remember them. As I say, I was only four when we moved away. My bro might, but then he was about six when we left Bolam.

Edited by keith lockey

Ted Buckham and mary miller had a daughter she works in morrisons at bedlington

That was Tommy Buckham who was married to Mary Miller, Teds older brother who sadly passed away about 3 years ago Tony. Mary is also no longer with us. Ted's daughter, Janice was married a couple of months ago. Edited by keith

Cheers Tonyg. Yeah I vaguely remember the Mercers. We used to live at Number 7, but we left Bolam Place when I was about four years old, so my memories of the place are limited. But was the Old Pit Dr A or Dr B? Or am I totally wrong here? As I say, I was too young to take anything in.

The 'A' Pit was the Bedlington Station pit in the pictures, The Dr Pit was the Top End pit where Doctor Terrace and the other Raas were, where me granda and 4 of his sons started work.

Anyway, back to Bolam Place - I remember Mary Miller, older and definitely smaller than me.

At this moment I can only remember three names from Bolam Place :- Ian Arkle ; Brian Trench & Ray. Brian & Ray lived next door to each other, but not in joined houses. Ray joined the merchant navy, along with Robin Hills, from Coquetdale Place.

Vicky died a couple of years ago Vic. It would have been Micky Hurst who she married in the early '70s, he went off to work in the middle east.

Keith, Sorry to hear about Vicky, yes it was Micky ("Leedsâ€) Hurst as we called him. We travelled and built Woolco stores! he was a bit of a character!!

The 'A' Pit was the Bedlington Station pit in the pictures, The Dr Pit was the Top End pit where Doctor Terrace and the other Raas were, where me granda and 4 of his sons started work.

Anyway, back to Bolam Place - I remember Mary Miller, older and definitely smaller than me.

At this moment I can only remember three names from Bolam Place :- Ian Arkle ; Brian Trench & Ray. Brian & Ray lived next door to each other, but not in joined houses. Ray joined the merchant navy, along with Robin Hills, from Coquetdale Place.

Cheers Eggy, so that makes the A Pit (Station) the Old Pit as Tonyg says, correct?

With regards to the Millars my brother had to remind me who they were - of course!!!! He was best mates of Alan and I know Jimmy. But I still have limited memories of Bolam Place and who was who and where they lived, I remember most of the people because of the Woody School.

Edited by keith lockey

Ok Keith here is the information on the Bedlington Coal Company (BCC) Collieries for you:

Bedlington A pit/Engine pit:

Shaft Sunk: 28 Sep 1838.

Closed: 25 Sep 1971

Bedlington D/Doctor Pit:

Shaft Sunk: 14 Jul 1854

Closed: 02 Mar 1968

Bedlington F/Bomarsund Pit:

Opened: 1905

Closed: 23 Oct 1965

Bedlington E:

Opened: 1859

Closed: 17 Mar 1962

All the Information is from the Durham mining museum.

• 5 years later...

I was browsing the site as an older guy from bedlington up to early 71. So very sad to learn that Vicky Buckham had died. I was totally unaware of that. We dated for a short time in the 60s and I have fond memories of a canny lass who loved to get up to sing. Always thought we would bump into each other again but not to be. My wife and I met during that period and now together 50 years. How time passes so quickly.  Condolences to Vickys family. Jim

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, Katherine Hyde said:

Hi, i know this was 2013 but i remember mary miller and the dixon family was my grandparents.

Would that have been Gerry Dixon who joined the Merchant Navy, along with Robin Hills, in the mid to late 1960's?

We always referred to Mary Miller as 'Little Mary' and I though she lived in Waverley Avenue - about No 20/21 across the road from Bolam Place.

hi terry dixon here in nsw australia  wollongong albion park i visited bellington in 1977 to stay with relatives  either dixon or thompson  my grandmother was born there 1900  the only names i remember were lockey  peter  who would be about 70 now and quinton who was badly burnt by electrical shock while climbing a power pole  in the 70tees i will be comming over to europe and england in november this year  and was hoping to get in touch with my relatives thanks terry  

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now