Wansbeck Council

Monsta®

They don't have a golf course like what we has..... lol

swalnalla,

Don't know if it is still WDC owned? There was an option given to the club and its members to take over the golf course a few years ago (when the "councils" Hartford Hall development fell through) but I do not know what happened? At the time every ratepayer in the district subsidised it the tune of about £11! There was also one planned for between Ashington and Lynmouth but I believe that never got off the ground?

has just been in newspaper about golf course, it is still council owned, they on about getting rid of it and selling the community centre to make way for better things, so they say anyway

I don't think ideas, or lets even say grand plans, are the problem as Bedlington has had a lot of "proposed WDC development" over the years. The problem comes when they have to be realised and actually built that is where it all falls down! The reasons..........make your own minds up!

Hmmmm..... and I wonder how much of any proceeds of Bedlington assets will actually REMAIN in Bedlington, or is this yet another way of filling Wansbeck coffers for the benefit of Ashington & Newbiggin.

Lovely places, lovely people and nowt agin either place, but this sort of thing has gone on for years.

Perhaps the council could make a few connections..... no adequate facilities = young people hanging around streets/drinking = police = solicitors = law courts.

Adequate facilities = occupied young people = improving health = sense of wellbeing = less need for destructive behaviour etc etc.....

What have we got? Police, courts and solicitors.

What do we need? Ammenities to improve the health and wellbeing of the townfolk.

Personally I go to Blyth & Cramlington where they have superb leisure facilities. WHERE ARE OURS?

ps I'm in no doubt I'm not the only one who thinks like this, and that it's views like this that should be making our councillors squirm in their beds that they are not serving us right!

ps I'm in no doubt I'm not the only one who thinks like this, and that it's views like this that should be making our councillors squirm in their beds that they are not serving us right!

hear hear Viv,

but remember you will soon have an election................course if there ain't anyone worth giving your cross to, but that is a different matter!

I vote for viv! :)

Hmmmm..... and I wonder how much of any proceeds of Bedlington assets will actually REMAIN in Bedlington, or is this yet another way of filling Wansbeck coffers for the benefit of Ashington & Newbiggin.

Lovely places, lovely people and nowt agin either place, but this sort of thing has gone on for years.

Perhaps the council could make a few connections..... no adequate facilities = young people hanging around streets/drinking = police = solicitors = law courts.

Adequate facilities = occupied young people = improving health = sense of wellbeing = less need for destructive behaviour etc etc.....

What have we got? Police, courts and solicitors.

What do we need? Ammenities to improve the health and wellbeing of the townfolk.

Personally I go to Blyth & Cramlington where they have superb leisure facilities. WHERE ARE OURS?

Mmmmmmmm..........you forgot we're housing battered women (probably from Ashington & certainly from Newbiggin aka Capital Stella)

;)

Mmmmmmmm..........you forgot we're housing battered women (probably from Ashington & certainly from Newbiggin aka Capital Stella)

;)

Do you know anything at all about the work the refuge does, i find it hard to believe that people put this system down.

Have you ever been in a violent relationship, i guess not by your reaction to the refuge!

Do you know anything at all about the work the refuge does, i find it hard to believe that people put this system down.

Have you ever been in a violent relationship, i guess not by your reaction to the refuge!

I do have a whip that Mrs Neck uses on me when I'm bad...... :D

I believe the refuge serves tea & biscuits within a confined, safe environment.

Dumbo is alive and well missdarn........ lol

I do have quite big ears but can't fly :mellow:

A typical response, but have you ever wondered why so many women are abused?

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/258321.htm

Too much lip? Poor meals? Lack of humour?

Men who physically abuse their wives are not alike, according to Neil Jacobson, Ph.D. and John Gottman, Ph.D., authors of the book, When Men Batter Women(Simon and Schuster, 1998). In their research, Drs. Gottman and Jacobson found there were two types of batterers which they called Cobras and Pit Bulls.

These psychologists examined sixty three battering couples and compared them with other couples who were unhappily married but not violent. After their initial study, they interviewed the same couples two years later.

Two factors which made a batterer especially dangerous were spousal rape and alcohol or drug addiction. Surprisingly, only 6 percent of batterers faced legal consequences for their behavior because many of their wives were afraid to report abuse, often for good reason, or didn't realize what their husbands were doing was a crime.

Twenty percent of the batterers Jacobson and Gottman studied were Cobras. Although the smaller group, they were the most dangerous. Thirty eight percent of them had threatened their wives with guns or knives compared to only 4 percent of Pit Bulls.

Most Cobras - about 90% - were anti-social personality disorders, the type of men who are selfish, without guilt or empathy and often criminals. They were usually aggressive outside the home also, in contrast to Pit Bulls who were violent only with their wives.

Cobras were not strongly attached to their wives. They preferred to be left alone most of the time, occasionally wanting their wives for sex, money or someone to get high with.

Pit Bulls, by contrast, were insecure and excessively dependent upon their wives. They were needy, empty people who desired love but feared abandonment. Unfortunately, they acted in ways which prevented them from getting their needs met.

Physical abuse was designed to control batters' wives but for different reasons for the two types. Cobras controlled their wives so as not to be controlled themselves; Pit Bulls controlled their wives so as not to be abandoned.

In their two year follow-up, Jacobson and Gottman found that half of the wives of Pit Bulls had divorced their husbands but none of the Cobras' wives had left for two reasons. It was initially more dangerous to leave a Cobra because he was more violent. Also, Pit Bulls were harder to live with because their insecurity and dependency made them constantly controlling and checking on their wives.

If it was more difficult to leave a Cobra at first, it became easier with the passage of time. Not being strongly bonded to their wives, Cobras soon detached from them and usually found another partner.

By contrast, it was easier to leave a Pitt Bull in the short run but more difficult in the long run. Because of his excessive dependency on his wife, the Pit Bull was less willing to let go. As a result, he was more likely to stalk his wife after the divorce.

The wives finally left their Pit Bull husbands when they realized the abuse was not going to stop without the involvement of the criminal justice system and mandatory counseling which is not effective with Cobras. Whenever a wife finally does leave her physically abusive husband, Drs. Jacobson and Gottman advise that it is imperative she gets professional help to develop a plan to leave as safely as possible and to recover from the trauma she has suffered.

If I was bad Mrs Neck would snap my pencil along with a host of folk :mellow:

Interesting entry Pencil_Neck, and I'm in no way saying absolutely ANYTHING against the refuge being here. Wherever is the safest in my opinion and I hope the women who need to be sheltered there find Bedlington and the townsfolk just the most supportive place for them here.

I'm just dismayed at the demise of Bedlington as a thriving village in 'the shire' and that our leisure ammenities are fairly dismal in times where we're all being told about improving our health.

My point was about the longstanding debate about Bedlington's economy and fair share of the coffers.

I'm sure I'll be shouted down by folks that like the flowerbeds that are replaced 3 or 4 times a year, and the matching street furniture that has just been installed. However the town needs so much more than asthetics to make it thrive.

Yes, the refuge here, although sad it needs to exist in the first place is at least one good thing WDC's approved.

ps I'm saddened that so many of the good topics for debate on this site seem to get replies that appear to disregard the content and potential of intelligent discussion and end up all too quickly as rude sarcasm.

missdarn had a valid point on a very sensitive subject that may to anyone's knowledge have been very personal in her(I assume 'her') own experience.

;)

Aye but what you gonna do ...you've got the huge cop shop. The great big court ...and a chav factory... Like a big merry go round to watch.. just dont stray out at night..

is that non pc or WHAT!!!

Aye but what you gonna do ...you've got the huge cop shop. The great big court ...and a chav factory... Like a big merry go round to watch.. just dont stray out at night..

is that non pc or WHAT!!!

Keep suckling at Denzel's teat to progress further sir :rolleyes:

No problem with the refuge...........an excellent spot for some development was wasted

with all 3 developments; why was Ashington not chosen with the expansive plots of land

over there? Is there a programme to combat the cycle of poverty / abuse / alcoholism

in Ashington (Newbiggin) to make the "WDC" look better where as Bedlngton has a

transient populace of folk who don't work in the area.....i.e. they don't give a !*!@# about the

area or the services on offer...plus they have more readies to spend elsewhere....who looks

less !*!@#?

Anyway.....the great LFC beat Barca :D:D:D:D:D