Bedlington Time Line By Six Townships Community History Group

John,

Fantastic stuff, thank you very much! I'm very interested in the military hideouts, and whether any evidence of them still exists. Incidentally, when I lived on Hollymount Terrace - before the houses were built on the green - an archaeological dig took place there as permission had been give for building to go ahead. I believe the team were from Newcastle University. They uncovered evidence of buildings that they told me were 'older than had previously thought existed in the region'. This was probably some ten years ago, I have no idea if the results were published but it would be interesting to find out more.

Edited by mercuryg

Got the time line updated again. looking brilliant Malcolm. Will u/l it over the weekend to see what you and the users think

John,

I had already mixed it in with the stuff I had.

There is that much now I don't know how or where to begin to tackle it. I have already changed my mind twice about how I can film it.

Time for a cuppa.

John,

I had already mixed it in with the stuff I had.

There is that much now I don't know how or where to begin to tackle it. I have already changed my mind twice about how I can film it.

Time for a cuppa.

Thats good Malcolm. Only pleased to help you and the forum users as i know they are all interested.

John,

Fantastic stuff, thank you very much! I'm very interested in the military hideouts, and whether any evidence of them still exists. Incidentally, when I lived on Hollymount Terrace - before the houses were built on the green - an archaeological dig took place there as permission had been give for building to go ahead. I believe the team were from Newcastle University. They uncovered evidence of buildings that they told me were 'older than had previously thought existed in the region'. This was probably some ten years ago, I have no idea if the results were published but it would be interesting to find out more.

I remember them digging. Wheres that 10 years gone ?

John,

Can you confirm that Merc?

I do have a couple of contacts in Newcastle University so I will ask if you are sure!

John, I am interested in the Chartism dates.

In 1832 were we the start of Chartism or were we following others.

Would be great to think we were there first.

1838 until 1848 seem to be the main dates for the movement.

The details i have found were

Chartism in Bedlington was 1832-1839 and Augustas Beaumont was the main speaker in our area

I will be seeing Mark in a couple of days and ask him to pull out the details the group holds and update you

Excellent work, pity earlier dates could not be added.

No written records!

We need a time machine to go back to the future.

One thing we all agree on is the importance of Bedlington in our lives.

From the depths of our hearts we have learnt to love the place.

'What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare'

Maybe we should keep Bedlington for ourselves.

Have to agree with keeping it to ourselves, but SORRY, when I went to work in London, 1969, I used to add (note not deface) Bedlington 297 miles North on the road signs.

Does anyone know if the secret base at Hartford is still there??? I was all over the woods down there as a Bairn but dont recall any underground structures.

What I think was the mechanics institute behind the Sun Inn was a private clubhouse for our gang, lots of old billiard tables and an entrance only we knew of,

In the cellar was a tunnel of some kind that seemed to go under the Sun Inn and the road, it was stone lined and I cant remember anyone going to where it ended, anyone else out there that may know???

I have been through and amended the first post made by John with the updates thereafter.

If you keep posting in here John with updates I can keep going through and adding them to the first post so that the entire timeline appears in one post but the thread consists of discussion and snippets of relevant dates.

Will make for a good reference post that people can revert to for dates/information.

I have been through and amended the first post made by John with the updates thereafter.

If you keep posting in here John with updates I can keep going through and adding them to the first post so that the entire timeline appears in one post but the thread consists of discussion and snippets of relevant dates.

Will make for a good reference post that people can revert to for dates/information.

Got more updates to it in our archives at

http://www.sixtownships.org.uk

Drop some updates in our forum for us and we can keep it up-to-date

If any user is into the secret army, that was in the country during WW2 and Bedlington its in our archives too.

Still got pics to update, but full story is online.

We have to keep some information back as it shows in detail bomb making and the title of books with the instructions in too.

You never know if we put them online the details would be useful to wrong people these days

But have a look, a lot about Bedlington and the Auxillary Army (Secret Army) we had.

Read what was to be done if the Germans had invaded, its a true story, when the pics are updated i will let you know. Derick should have them up by the 15th he said.

Thats very kind of you. We have a lot more to add, so many thanks. Its a brilliant reference at the end of the day for anyone interested in Bedlington

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be any help, and you may already be aware of it, but whilst looking on the www searching for Puddlers Row etc. a link I had not see before appeared, in my Google Chrome results, reference a Northumberland County Council document that I could not ignore, especially if it is one you expert researchers have not seen before:-

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/archaeology there is a reference to

[PDF] Bedlington

... Produced by Rhona Finlayson and Caroline Hardie 1995-7 Revised by Alan Williams

2007-8 Strategic Summary by Karen Derham 2008 Planning policies revised 2010 ...

www.northumberland.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=42b1cb2f-98b2-4843-9aed-531444c13619&version=-1

I have downloaded and saved the document and the Chapters in the document are:-

CONTENTS

PART ONE: THE STORY OF BEDLINGTON

1 INTRODUCTION

1.1 Location, geology, topography

1.2 Documentary and Secondary Sources

1.3 Cartographic Sources

1.4 Archaeological Sources

1.5 Protected Sites

1.6 Summary history

2 PREHISTORIC AND ROMAN

2.1 Mesolithic and Neolithic

2.2 Bronze Age Cists at Mill Field

2.3 Later prehistoric

2.4 Roman

3 EARLY MEDIEVAL

3.1 Settlement

4 MEDIEVAL

4.1 Settlement

4.2 Bishop's Hall and Courts

4.3 Church of St Cuthbert

4.4 Leper Hospital

4.5 Bedlington Corn Mill

4.6 Properties

4.7 Market Place

5 POST-MEDIEVAL

5.1 Form of the Settlement

5.2 Market Place

5.3 Buildings in the town

5.4 Church of St Cuthbert

5.5 Corn Mills

5.6 Economy

5.7 Weaving

5.8 Coal Mines and Waggonways

5.9 Iron Working

5.10 Mills

6 NINETEENTH CENTURY

6.1 Form of the Settlement

6.2 Places of worship

6.3 St Cuthbert's Church

6.4 Wells

6.5 Blacksmiths

6.6 Bedlington Iron and Engine Works

6.7 Chain and Mail Manufacturers

6.8 Coal Mines

6.9 Waggonways

6.10 Railways

This may not be any help, and you may already be aware of it, but whilst looking on the www searching for Puddlers Row etc. a link I had not see before appeared, in my Google Chrome results, reference a Northumberland County Council document that I could not ignore, especially if it is one you expert researchers have not seen before:-

http://www.northumbe....uk/archaeology there is a reference to

[PDF] Bedlington

... Produced by Rhona Finlayson and Caroline Hardie 1995-7 Revised by Alan Williams

2007-8 Strategic Summary by Karen Derham 2008 Planning policies revised 2010 ...

www.northumberland.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=42b1cb2f-98b2-4843-9aed-531444c13619&version=-1

I have downloaded and saved the document and the Chapters in the document are:-

CONTENTS

PART ONE: THE STORY OF BEDLINGTON

1 INTRODUCTION

1.1 Location, geology, topography

1.2 Documentary and Secondary Sources

1.3 Cartographic Sources

1.4 Archaeological Sources

1.5 Protected Sites

1.6 Summary history

2 PREHISTORIC AND ROMAN

2.1 Mesolithic and Neolithic

2.2 Bronze Age Cists at Mill Field

2.3 Later prehistoric

2.4 Roman

3 EARLY MEDIEVAL

3.1 Settlement

4 MEDIEVAL

4.1 Settlement

4.2 Bishop's Hall and Courts

4.3 Church of St Cuthbert

4.4 Leper Hospital

4.5 Bedlington Corn Mill

4.6 Properties

4.7 Market Place

5 POST-MEDIEVAL

5.1 Form of the Settlement

5.2 Market Place

5.3 Buildings in the town

5.4 Church of St Cuthbert

5.5 Corn Mills

5.6 Economy

5.7 Weaving

5.8 Coal Mines and Waggonways

5.9 Iron Working

5.10 Mills

6 NINETEENTH CENTURY

6.1 Form of the Settlement

6.2 Places of worship

6.3 St Cuthbert's Church

6.4 Wells

6.5 Blacksmiths

6.6 Bedlington Iron and Engine Works

6.7 Chain and Mail Manufacturers

6.8 Coal Mines

6.9 Waggonways

6.10 Railways

Many thanks for pointing to this report. Anything like this is a help

"The name Camus/Camas (both versions are used, though the version Camus, which has been in use for generations in both Irish and English has been retained by the great majority of the population) may come from the shape of a nearby bay in which the tides come and go through the narrow strait."

Well that seems to fit nicely!

• 8 years later...
On 10/05/2013 at 00:24, johndawsonjune1955 said:

Bedlington Station is Sleekburn Tony

The time line is a huge task m8, and some forum users may try to pull it down, but i say try it yourself as it aint easy.

But as i say Bedlington Station Is Sleekburn, it is well known as that and has been as long as i have known it

As @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)made very clear when I asked about West/East and Sleekburn, that prior to the coming of the railways, Sleekburn was a community not defined by a railway station. x

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now