Reedy

List Of Pubs And Clubs - Bedlington District

Reedy think I mentioned this before but there was the welfare park club which got burnt down they used to sell horrible worthington E. there is the cricket club which still sells alcohol 🍺 & the community centre which was behind the sun I also think there was a Glaxo club near the cemetery,maybe wrong on that one.

13 hours ago, Tonyp said:

Reedy think I mentioned this before but there was the welfare park club which got burnt down they used to sell horrible worthington E. there is the cricket club which still sells alcohol 🍺 & the community centre which was behind the sun I also think there was a Glaxo club near the cemetery,maybe wrong on that one.

@Tonyp - The Glaxo social club was next to the Ridge Farm pub. The Ridge Farm pub is now the Co-op  and a Vets and  where the Glaxo club was is now houses =The Chase.

Glaxo Social Club2.jpg

The Chase.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@Canny lass - on the Northumberland communities site is a document from the Parson & White Trade Directory - 1827 - and it lists :- The Free Masons, Ralph Oliver. 

https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/004894.htm

1827.jpg

https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Communities.htm = all the towns it covers.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

Now that's a turn up for the books! Well done! It clearly went on to be called the Mason's Arms at some time before 1861 when it's named in the census. Something that's struck me as odd over the years is the number of Bedlington publicans who appear to have had a second string to their fiddle, so to speak. 1851 there's a shoemaker/innkeeper (I'm not sure which pub but somewhere between the market place and last house at the east end of the town on the north side of the road). Same year we also had  at the Black Bull - innkeeper/cooper, and at the Sun Inn - Innkeeper/blacksmith. 1861 the Traveller's Rest had a  Beer Housekeeper/labourer. Clearly, selling beer hasn't always been the lucrative profession it is  today.

There's also a Swan Inn. I've never heard of that one.

Tonyp's earlier post about the vile Worthington E muck got me thinking about a challenge ...

That impressive list of boozers elsewhere on this thread could be complimented by naming the breweries that owned them;  I know that it'll be impossible to do it for many of them 'cos the old fellas that supped in them are long gone but I'll make a start.

The Railway Tavern = Vaux (that vile Mackem stuff)

I suppose the Clubs were a type of 'free house' so were able to sell stuff other that Federation Ales.  I know there was a Cameron pub (that Smoggie stuff) but can't recall the name of the pub and of course loads of Scottish & Newcastle ones (Blue Star).

Go on ... you've got nowt else to do with your time at the moment.

• Like 1

As to Canny's confusion over "... publicans who appear to have had a second string to their fiddle ...".  I recall reading years ago that many of the original ale houses were in private dwelling and that the wife of the main breadwinner would brew some jugs of ale* for immediate family.  This expanded into to offering the ale to others for a price ... of course this brew had to be consumed soon after being made as it went off (this was before the use of hops to extend the life {and taste} of the ale). So perhaps this activity was formalised and acknowledged in census records. 

*remember back then that the drinking of water tended to be avoided in case you got ill (likely) and that ale drinking was seen as being a safe option.

Hi Symptoms long time since we've spoke hope your potatoes still cooking well in your spoon of oil🤔 I'm living in the land of Viktor Orban, don't think my mate mr Lavery would be impressed with that. Anyway remember the Howard arms was a Vaux pub Lorimers scotch on offer there rank the Sun & The Monkey were Cameron's Hartlepool brewer didn't like there strongarm & when Betty Stewart had the Northumberland arms it was a whitbread house unusual for a pub in Northumberland I believe but the worst beer in my opinion was Newcastle Amber ale it tasted like rats p*** anyway symptoms nice to see your about 

On 02/04/2020 at 21:29, Symptoms said:

As to Canny's confusion over "... publicans who appear to have had a second string to their fiddle ...".  I recall reading years ago that many of the original ale houses were in private dwelling and that the wife of the main breadwinner would brew some jugs of ale* for immediate family. 

Thanks for that Symptoms. I've wondered what might be the difference between a Public House and a Beer House. That could well be it but most of those I mentioned above were public houses where the landlords occupation was given as innkeeper plus one other occupation. Maybe the beer houses were taking away their trade.