List Of Pubs And Clubs - Bedlington District

7 hours ago, dunlinds said:

Is this the site of the now defunct Oddfellows Arms Hotel? (Corner building next to No entry sign) Anybody know when it closed down as a hotel? 

2016 Building which was Oddfellows Arms Bedlington.jpg

I did do some searching on all the pubs etc. when reedy first published his dad's list. I only searched from the comfort of my PC, just on the www. There are 4 references to Public Houses, around that area on the old map in the attached photo. Can't remember where I found this map - all the other old maps I have looked at - 1866 - 1898 - 1924 etc. in the past just show one PH and I believe that was the  Wheat Sheaf Inn. If you look in the Gallery under Historic Bedlington -  Bedlington drinking establishments - Then & Now you will see the info I managed to dig up on the Bedlington pubs from reedy's list.

Wheatsheaf Inn comp.jpg

17 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

moe19 if you mean the Netherton Colliery old club then it is in the original list as - 'Old Netherton Club/Naval Club'

Some of the clubs have had a few incarnations

Looking back at the Top Club since the seventies Eggy it was housed in five separate buildings that I can remember.

When the old club  blew up in the gas explosion it was then operated from a Portakabin  in the top car park next to the public toilets behind the Blue Bell.(Chisholm bookmakers also had a cabin on that spot not sure if it was the old club cabin) The new top Club was built and opened on the bank on Glebe road in the mid to late seventies, when that building was found to have problems it closed and  the club once again moved in to Portakabins in the clubs car park (now Morrisons store ) club number five was in the old Lairds house.     

Re Oddfellows Arms Hotel: My Great great Uncle - Edwin Taylor Dale - took over the hotel in 1867, as per attached snippet from Newcastle Daily Chronicle. This doesn't show the location of the hotel, but I found a photograph from Northumberland archives dated from 1974 which suggests that the 'corner' building was The Oddfellows Arms.1867 Newcastle Daily Chronicle snippet ref to Edwin T Dale.jpgBuilding which was Oddfellows Arms in Bedlington - taken c1974 Northumberland Archives.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moe19 said:

Some of the clubs have had a few incarnations

Looking back at the Top Club since the seventies Eggy it was housed in five separate buildings that I can remember.

When the old club  blew up in the gas explosion it was then operated from a Portakabin  in the top car park next to the public toilets behind the Blue Bell.(Chisholm bookmakers also had a cabin on that spot not sure if it was the old club cabin) The new top Club was built and opened on the bank on Glebe road in the mid to late seventies, when that building was found to have problems it closed and  the club once again moved in to Portakabins in the clubs car park (now Morrisons store ) club number five was in the old Lairds house.     

Have you looked at the images in the Gallery moe?

4 hours ago, dunlinds said:

Re Oddfellows Arms Hotel: My Great great Uncle - Edwin Taylor Dale - took over the hotel in 1867, as per attached snippet from Newcastle Daily Chronicle. This doesn't show the location of the hotel, but I found a photograph from Northumberland archives dated from 1974 which suggests that the 'corner' building was The Oddfellows Arms.1867 Newcastle Daily Chronicle snippet ref to Edwin T Dale.jpgBuilding which was Oddfellows Arms in Bedlington - taken c1974 Northumberland Archives.jpg

Ok if I add these images into the Gallery album - Historic Bedlington - Bedlington drinking establishments - Then & Now? The Oddfellows Arms gets a mention in one of Evan Martin's books in his list of Hotels, Inns & Taverns of Bedlington in 1886 with the proprietor as T. R. Simm

3 minutes ago, moe19 said:

Yes it seems not to mention the original Portakabin behind the Bluebell  that was used until the new club was built

Couldn't find a photo of the portacabin moe, but in the comments associated with the compilation photo id does say :- 'Before moving to The Laird's House, after the fire, the club had temporary accommodation in a portacabin type structure. Can't find an photo of that cabin but expect Foxy might just have one, from the inside.'

The first  Portakabin after the explosion was a small basic bar the second  Portakabin (before the move to the Lairds house )  was a number of cabins joined together and was rather large, it had a full size snooker table and a pool table and on a Saturday night it had a disco and used to get packed, when the dance floor was full you could feel the floor moving under your feet. That cabin was more popular than the club  it must have lasted about nine or ten years. I believe that cabin is still in use in Ashington.

17 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

Surprised you missed this one Eggs, I've had it on FB more than once!!

I had seen it John but for some reason I thought it was 'Youth Club Block' created by the club. I can't  remember this building at all. It must have been that period in my life when I was taxing our kids all over Cramlington, where we lived for 28 years, and I was only allowed out on a Friday night! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 16:47, dunlinds said:

Re Oddfellows Arms Hotel: My Great great Uncle - Edwin Taylor Dale - took over the hotel in 1867, as per attached snippet from Newcastle Daily Chronicle. This doesn't show the location of the hotel, but I found a photograph from Northumberland archives dated from 1974 which suggests that the 'corner' building was The Oddfellows Arms....

I can confirm that this was The Oddfellows Arms by virtue of having handled the original deeds myself at some time in the mid 1970's.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Help needed to identify two public house from 1860.

Centre left of this map, on the north side of Front Street West are two public houses - one either side of the post office (which moved to the market place the same or following year). Can anybody help me with the names. Also, Where is tallantyres shop today in relation to these two pubs. I saw on a photo that the Mason's Arms was now Tallantyres but a search of the census doesn't give the name of any other pub. In fact, I can't find any other pub east of the Masons Arms other than the Cross Tavrn and that's supposed to be in the Market Place (even if its address was Front Street until 1891 when it became Market Place).

1860 scale 25 to 1.jpg

@Canny lass - when I attempted to find photos, and info, on the pubs that  @Reedy's dad  listed and those listed in one of Evan Matin's books there were a few I couldn't find anything on. Can't remember which book I got the list from and I can't find it in the Evan Martin books I have. 

These are the lists

Lists.jpg

This is the info I found on the Masons Arms and it includes an extract from Bennett's Business Directory of 1905 that records the proprietor as T. Hay 

Masons Arms.jpg

Can't find anything among the info I collected to identify another pub, close to the Mason's Arms, ofn Front Street West.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@Canny lass - sod's law. I found the scan I did of Evan Martin's list and I have it labelled as -  Evan Martins Bedlingtonshires Village History - and that's a book I don't have and I can't remember who or where I borrowed that from.

Evan Martin's Bedlingtonshire village history.jpg

Thanks for trying Eggy! Would I be right in thinking that's the gable end of the Kings Arms (Grapes) to the left of Tallantyres? I can't really place Tallantyres in my minds eye. I thought the Kings Arms was nearer the top end. 

Edited by Canny lass

29 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Thanks for trying Eggy! Would I be right in thinking that's the gable end of the Kings Arms (Grapes) to the left of Tallantyres? I can't really place Tallantyres in my minds eye. I thought the Kings Arms was nearer the top end. 

Yep - Grapes next door to Tallantyers. 

front Street West.jpg

THANKS! I owe you one! Now the census is starting to make sense.

Those two pubs on the map are the Kings Arms and the Masons Arms with one 'dwelling' inbetween - the Post Office. I thought the first pub on that side of the road was the Kings Arms but now I realise that it must be the Blue Bell. Silly me! Funny how the memory plays tricks at our age.

I've always suspected that the buiding which houses Tallantyres was originally two properties because of the asymmetry of the upstairs windows. In the small insert photo Tallantyres occupies not the Masons Arms, but the Post Office (with two upstairs windows). In the larger isert photo, Tallantyres occupies both the old Post Office AND the former Masons Arms (with three upstairs windows). 

Great photos! In the second of them I think it says Masons Arms. I'm pretty sure about the word Arms and that the first word also ends with the letter s. The first word is also marginally longer than the second. Not a lot to go on but better than nothing. What I find more interesting is the medallion on the wall above the sign. Looking at the shape it reminds me of the present day Freemasons sign:

Freemasons signum.png

I don't know when the photo was taken but according to census records from 1851 through 1891 the occupation of 'mason' crops up quite freqeuntly. Not so surprising as Bedlington had a quarry or two. I do know that the Stonemason's Guild eventually became the society of Freemasonry. Did they take over this sign from the Stonemasons Guild? Anybody with connections to the Freemasons who can help out here?

Edited by Canny lass

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now