Youth Of Today!

On the weekend I made a trip of about 1,200 km and it happened to be the annual "Highway clean up weekend†I travelled on both major highways and smaller country roads, (this being the the first weekend of spring without snow cover) There were hundreds of youngsters cleaning up the winter mess on the sides of the roads, there were thousands of orange bags (garbage, bin bags) sitting waiting for pick-up, tens of thousands of kilometers were cleared, some roads were close to towns others were 20-30 km out of town! vehicles slowed down, honked horns and every one gave a wave.

Most of the kids were 4H club, others were just community groups. No payment just satisfaction! great to see the other youth that are not "bad kids of today†well done!

As I'd never heard of the 4H Club I Googled it ... seems like a worthwhile organisation for young folks. What I liked about it was that there was no God Bothering so I suppose it could attract a more diverse group of people to engage; I'm not sure we have anything like it here. Most youth organisations in Blighty seem to have 'faith' links and appear to do their stuff in isolation from one another. Plus there's always the ever present 'cold hand' of 'elf & safety in Blighty to stuff those wanting to contribute like those kids in North America.

Yep, I know the Scouts, Sea Cadets, Brownies, St John's and others do sterling work for the community but their efforts seem to lack that 4H type 'national' co-ordinated organisation. Oh, and 4H seems to be getting Government funding!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now