Last Miners Picnic 1989

• 3 weeks later...

1974 Winners - Brentford Nylons???? Did they have a local factory?

I remember the TV ads that ran in the 60s & 70s for Brentford Nylons. In the 60s my old Mum bought some of their sheets (pink) for our beds - they were horrible to sleep between but I suppose she got them for ease of use and washing when she went out to work. Previously we had those crispy white linen sheets but I reckon they must have been a nightmare to launder each week ... I know she use to starch then and use 'Dolly Blue' in the machine, then onto the line to dry - I think she even ironed them. Drip-dry nylon sheets must have made sense to her.

Past Hartford Hall and over the river to Plessey. On the left as I remember. Not sure what the factory is now, assuming it's still there. The factory shop was well used by locals.

Brentford Nylons, became Brentfords, became part of Lonhro (who rescued it from bankruptcy), and was ditched by them to become part of Rosebys (who were picky about what bits took for well below cost), who in turn ditched the name as it was too "down-market".

Those TV ads featured DJ the late Alan Freeman ('Alright? Stay bright!'). His nickname of Fluff had more to do with his presentations than the what came off the product.

Past Hartford Hall and over the river to Plessey. On the left as I remember. Not sure what the factory is now, assuming it's still there. The factory shop was well used by locals.

Brentford Nylons, became Brentfords, became part of Lonhro (who rescued it from bankruptcy), and was ditched by them to become part of Rosebys (who were picky about what bits took for well below cost), who in turn ditched the name as it was too "down-market".

Those TV ads featured DJ the late Alan Freeman ('Alright? Stay bright!'). His nickname of Fluff had more to do with his presentations than the what came off the product.

It's the Admiral Business Park now.

I worked at Brentford Nylons. Have to say they did invest in their workforce to some extent, I did a HND through them, but it was a product of its time.

Acrylic blankets the only alternative to wool! :|

Lonhro ("The unacceptable face of capitalism.") took over and got huge grants to keep the place going but eventually............ I don't think they ever paid any rates!

I remember the whole place came out on strike because it was too cold, next day another strike because it was too hot, and we wonder why our manufacturing base went overseas!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now