Does Anyone Know Anything About The Glove Factory ?

katie

Ozzrahog....sittin' on a log....lookin' fo' a frog....sittin' on a log....ozzrahog......sittin'............!

Thi divil cums ti bedltn....lukkin' fo' a fish........but he didn't fiind any..............

Wait till a tell thi mad ginger geordie drummer!!

....and a mighty BIIIIIG WELCOME ti thi forum............!

• 4 years later...
On 03/05/2013 at 18:25, Reedy said:

As promised here are a couple of photos of some of the staff from the 'Glove Factory'.

The photos were taken after the company won an award for it's exports.

Sorry I don't know the date.

If I find any more pics I'll post them.

post-3028-0-10074000-1367601709_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-78169100-1367601740_thumb.jp

Some names added to the photos posted by @Reedy

BarringtonGlove Factory1 named info.JPG

BarringtonGlove Factory2 named.JPG

• 2 months later...

Don Hutton was a machine mechanic and took over the Glove Factory with a partner(not known to me). I can't remember if he was still a boss when it closed. Don is not in the photos. Sadly Don died a few years ago but his wife Irene still lives on Stakeford estate.

Jammy

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Karen eaglestone said:

Hi Katie my name is Karen eaglestone i worked at the glove factory 

@Karen eaglestone - I remember this posting that @katie had made back in 2013 so I checked back to see when Katie last visited the site. Katie hasn't revisited the site since 18th April 2013 = 2 days after she joined.

If you hover over the members 'name tag' the system shows some info - small drop down section but staying on the current page you are viewing -  and if you select/click on the member's name the system displays a bit more info by redirecting you to the member's info page.

Project3.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

I remember the glove factory. I met my future wife in the middle sixties when She worked there. She didn't really like working there doing machine work making gloves. When we were courting around 1967 we used to babysit for Audrey Howie and her husband. Cannot remember his name sadly. They were both kind to us. Of course time has gone on since and we have our 52nd anniversary on Monday. She left in 69 to join me down south when I was serving in forces. We used to meet up in sixties at the railway tavern when it was a disq. Great night out. I remember Dot Temple and my wife's friend Margaret Stewart. She was instrumental in us meeting. Those times long gone. Regards

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jr6468 said:

I remember the glove factory. I met my future wife in the middle sixties when She worked there. She didn't really like working there doing machine work making gloves. When we were courting around 1967 we used to babysit for Audrey Howie and her husband. Cannot remember his name sadly. They were both kind to us. Of course time has gone on since and we have our 52nd anniversary on Monday. She left in 69 to join me down south when I was serving in forces. We used to meet up in sixties at the railway tavern when it was a disq. Great night out. I remember Dot Temple and my wife's friend Margaret Stewart. She was instrumental in us meeting. Those times long gone. Regards

@Jr6468 - spent many nights, late 1960's, in the Railway Tavern (Craigsies) before going on to the Domino.

In the Railway Tavern disq the Double Maxim looked like engine oil - you could get a pint of milk  - the landlady (can't remember her name:mellow: ) loved it when a fight broke out and I think the policeman that would sort it out was 'Big Jock' .

Some photos from @Reedy of two xmas parties at the Glove Factory and one of the management and I think the lady in the photo with the four gents is Dot (Dolly ) Temple.

Village Guides photo.jpg

Paul Reed.jpg

Factory Management from Paul Reed.jpg

Village Guides Info.jpg

One photo from Colin Crackett showing some ladies working at their machines.

1798730764_1961ColinCrackett.jpg.35ee674c3d190e48f10bab7f436135b8.jpg

This photo from a Claire Gates but no info :-

1917714718_ClairGates.jpg.f62085fb05bf8b9b405b3cdf9dc1c749.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2020 at 16:55, Jr6468 said:

@Jr6468 - did you see the Glove Factory photos above?

On 14/09/2020 at 16:33, Canny lass said:

Last photo, from Claire Gates:

That's Dorothy (Dot) Lumsden (with glasses) on the far right.

Naturally, I should have said on the LEFT. I haven't known my ass from my elbow for many years but not knowing right from left is unforgivable!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know anything about the Glove factory before it switched premises to the old institute at Barrington.

Does anyone have a photo of it or as it was in it's previous life on the North side of the river Blyth when it was the Infectious Disease hospital next to the old staithes?

This image from an old map posted by @Jamesin 2018

James image.png

• 1 year later...

I’ve just stumbled across this site……I knew and often visited The Bedlington Glove Company. In the 1970s I worked as an assistant selector at M&S and Bedlington was the company making all our ladies suede fur lined mittens which were a very good seller for years. I used to visit the factory and dealt with a charming gentlemen named Mr Sharman. I’d never visited the north-east before and he always took me to Gosforth Park Hotel for lunch I recall it was a very grand dining room overlooking the gardens/park and I always saw the peacocks from the restaurant windows. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the group @Patricia Wadsworth.

The Barrington Colliery Institute building is still in use today. According to Stephen Martin, local guy who published many booklets on Bedlington and the surrounding towns, the Barrington glove Company was started in 1960.

Can't find a date for when the Institute was built. Barrington colliery started in 1821 (according to the Durham Mining Museum site) but the first time I can find the building on one of the old Ordnance Survey maps is 1896. 

2038838833_BarringtonInstitute1896.thumb.jpg.66fe22a82a79500040b2534f256ccf93.jpg

There is only one old image of the building that I can find and that is the one in Stephen Martin's booklet on the colliery. The only other images are from Google street view - 2009 - 2026 and 2020.

1404038213_BarringtonCollieryInstitutecomp.thumb.jpg.c57ab66927309f5196cbc8bb0d5b9a46.jpg

I don't know if my Bedlington school mate, 1960-65, Vicky Robinson who also worked as a buyer for M&S did any business with the Barrington Glove company.

The last Time I met up with Vicky was at a school reunion in 1989 and although that's not too many years ago I can't remember if Vicky was married and if she did do any business in the area. I'll put that down to the ale etc. that flowed throughout the reunion meeting:thumbsup:

Sadly Vicky is no longer with us.

The Gosforth Park Hotel, now the 'Grand' Gosforth Park Hotel, is still in business. 

Barrington was a thriving community of around 800 residents not too long ago and its history is described in detail in Stephen Martin’s booklet “Barrington”. We are left with only one remaining record of the colliery and this is the inscribed tablet above the entrance to what was the Barrington Colliery Institute shown in the photo below.

I drove past the old institute recently and stopped to read the inscription and was disappointed to see the company using the property had placed their company’s logo over the inscribed tablet as can be seen in the second photo. The tablet was put there about 130 years ago and is a small but important part of the history of Barrington and could even be included in the Bedlington Heritage Trail. Perhaps the council should consider asking the company to remove the sign and repair any damages to the tablet caused when erecting the board.

1055283014_GloveFactory2.thumb.JPG.3d1174658f15ad28e123cfc6da10e95f.JPG2020339295_GloveFactory.thumb.jpg.4c114797764801467af88042e5728013.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

Barrington was a thriving community of around 800 residents not too long ago and its history is described in detail in Stephen Martin’s booklet “Barrington”. We are left with only one remaining record of the colliery and this is the inscribed tablet above the entrance to what was the Barrington Colliery Institute shown in the photo below.

I drove past the old institute recently and stopped to read the inscription and was disappointed to see the company using the property had placed their company’s logo over the inscribed tablet as can be seen in the second photo. The tablet was put there about 130 years ago and is a small but important part of the history of Barrington and could even be included in the Bedlington Heritage Trail. Perhaps the council should consider asking the company to remove the sign and repair any damages to the tablet caused when erecting the board.

1055283014_GloveFactory2.thumb.JPG.3d1174658f15ad28e123cfc6da10e95f.JPG2020339295_GloveFactory.thumb.jpg.4c114797764801467af88042e5728013.jpg

@Malcolm Robinson do you know if the Barrington Colliery Institute name is Ok to be covered up or is there an East Bedlington council  (I am assuming Barrington comes under East Bedlington Council) department that could be contacted to look into what @James has commented?

14 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Malcolm Robinson do you know if the Barrington Colliery Institute name is Ok to be covered up or is there an East Bedlington council  (I am assuming Barrington comes under East Bedlington Council) department that could be contacted to look into what @James has commented?

Alan,

No I think its actually under Choppington Parish Council.  Sure the NCC councillor is Choppington too.  

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now