Does Anyone Know Anything About The Glove Factory ?

katie

Hi I have only just joined and wondered if anyone could help me with some historical knowledge about the Glove factory in Barrington Industrial Estate in the 1970s ? Was that the name of the firm or did it have a different one and was it a small family business that only lasted a few years during the 1970s - I was having a conversation with my grandmother today and she said she used to work there when she was younger but when I look for any thing on Google ( if you dont know anything ask Google lol ) theres nothing there at all - can anyone throw any light on the subject perhaps?

Katie

Hi I have only just joined and wondered if anyone could help me with some historical knowledge about the Glove factory in Barrington Industrial Estate in the 1970s ? Was that the name of the firm or did it have a different one and was it a small family business that only lasted a few years during the 1970s - I was having a conversation with my grandmother today and she said she used to work there when she was younger but when I look for any thing on Google ( if you dont know anything ask Google lol ) theres nothing there at all - can anyone throw any light on the subject perhaps?

Katie

Hiya Katie I am sure there will be a very warm welcolme to you on here from more important folks on here than myself.

But hello and welcolme in the first instance from me.

If you type in Glove Factory in the search bar it will bring up all the mentions of it on here, I am sure if you have any more questions you will be inundated with help.

Thank you everyone for the answers - there is no more light on the question sadly - I put glove factory in the search box but only a couple of entries are there and dont tell anything as they are in relation to another subject - Thank you for posting the photo Keith - gran is not on it but i will print it off and take to show her it - she would like that :thumbsup:

katie

hi katie, welcome..i suppose..lol..any ways ...in relation to your question regarding the glove factory i must apologise as i have no info at all that i can give you other than an exgirlfriends mother and her auntie joan used to work there and we would often meet them at the station cafe where they would give us fags and a bottle of muters to get shot of us.

i understand that this is of no help but you question did make me smile and remember happy days gone by so thought i would return the favour..about the only relevant info i could give you is.... i think they made gloves..cheers..wonky.

Hi Katy!Welcome aboard!

The glove factory must have been there since at least the mid-fifties,cos my oldest Sister worked there

when she left school,[not directly after leaving school,but within a short space of time].

She used to bring homework,which consisted of turning all the fingers and thumbs out the right way,ready to be sewn onto the palm sections...and i used to help her,this might have around 1955-ish.

...i would have been about 11 years old,and my Sister about 17 years old.

She also worked,as a lassie of 15 yrs,in 1953-ish,for old Doctor Hickey,of Choppington,[who brought me and all my Family,and everybody in Choppington!!....into the world,before and during the second world war!],as his housekeeper.

She also worked at the nylon factory,at the Welwyn premises,about the same period in time...can anyone remember that one?!!

Hi, I'm new to this site having only joined yesterday but may be able to help with the 'Glove Factory'.

My Mother was a supervisor there retiring in about 1992 and I can remember going in during school holidays in about 1972.

The firm was called Bedlington Glove Company and used to supply to many large outlets including Marks and Spencer. I think it began to struggle due to the cheaper imports.

My Mother (Hilda Reed) passed away last year but I can still remember some people who worked there such as Dolly Temple, Audrey Howey, Peter Kinghorn and one of the directors Mr Sharman.

I think my Dad has a few photos of the factory workers so I'll borrow them and post them on the site.

Reedy.

• Like 1

As promised here are a couple of photos of some of the staff from the 'Glove Factory'.

The photos were taken after the company won an award for it's exports.

Sorry I don't know the date.

If I find any more pics I'll post them.

post-3028-0-10074000-1367601709_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-78169100-1367601740_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just joined this Bedlington Community site, found by accident whilst looking for old pics/maps of the A pit, Bedlington Station.

Saw the old school picture from Class 6 1957 and my older brother is in it.

I started Barrington County Primary in 1952 and may be able to contact some people who could answer some of the questions asked.

The only person I can recognise on the Glove Factory pictures is the young bloke, at the left, kneeling in one and standing in the back in the other.

Can only remember his first name, Jimmy, and he used to mend the sewing machines. Lived down at the Bank Top in Melrose Avenue next to what is now Ian Gerrard's cycle shop.

I will copy the pics of the glove company staff and see if I can get any of them identified.

Just joined this Bedlington Community site, found by accident whilst looking for old pics/maps of the A pit, Bedlington Station.

Saw the old school picture from Class 6 1957 and my older brother is in it.

I started Barrington County Primary in 1952 and may be able to contact some people who could answer some of the questions asked.

The only person I can recognise on the Glove Factory pictures is the young bloke, at the left, kneeling in one and standing in the back in the other.

Can only remember his first name, Jimmy, and he used to mend the sewing machines. Lived down at the Bank Top in Melrose Avenue next to what is now Ian Gerrard's cycle shop.

I will copy the pics of the glove company staff and see if I can get any of them identified.

Eggy1948, The lad kneeling in one and standing in the back in the other is Stuart Bowman. He did live at the Bank top.

Hi, I posted the pics and can confirm that it is Stuart Bowman. He lived 2 doors away from me in Melrose Avenue when I was growing up and now lives in Guide Post. His brother John is a member of this website too.

My Mother Hilda Reed is also on there and others include Dolly Temple, Audrey Howie, Molly Henderson, Audrey Davidson.

Hi, I posted the pics and can confirm that it is Stuart Bowman. He lived 2 doors away from me in Melrose Avenue when I was growing up and now lives in Guide Post. His brother John is a member of this website too.

My Mother Hilda Reed is also on there and others include Dolly Temple, Audrey Howie, Molly Henderson, Audrey Davidson.

Hi Reedy, I went to school with Stuart and we hung abouty together after we left school. I travel up to Bedlington about four/five times a year and meet up with Stuart and other old friend for a pint or two.

Edited by Pete

Just shows what my memory is like- Jimmy who? Stuart Bowman, now I remember - thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Katie

Hi Katie - the Glove Factory was going before the 70.s & I was working there until the early 90's. it changed its name a few times though........Gemini Fashions - Gemini Fashion Accessories. Everybody's mam worked there i think lol

Hi, I'm new to this site having only joined yesterday but may be able to help with the 'Glove Factory'.

My Mother was a supervisor there retiring in about 1992 and I can remember going in during school holidays in about 1972.

The firm was called Bedlington Glove Company and used to supply to many large outlets including Marks and Spencer. I think it began to struggle due to the cheaper imports.

My Mother (Hilda Reed) passed away last year but I can still remember some people who worked there such as Dolly Temple, Audrey Howey, Peter Kinghorn and one of the directors Mr Sharman.

I think my Dad has a few photos of the factory workers so I'll borrow them and post them on the site.

Reedy.

awwww I'm sorry about ur Mother - I remember all of those that you mentioned! I loved working at the factory :)

• 3 months later...

My mam Rose Lightley work there from the early 70s until it closed. I recognise so many of the names mentioned in this thread.

I will tell her about this thread and maybe the veterans of the glove factory can get back on touch with each other

I think a lot of them will have passed on. My mam died in 1996 and she worked at the Glove Factory for years.

• 1 year later...

My mam Rose Lightley work there from the early 70s until it closed. I recognise so many of the names mentioned in this thread.

I will tell her about this thread and maybe the veterans of the glove factory can get back on touch with each other

Hi ozz! Does the nickname of a teacher called "Chip" mean anything ti ye?

If it does , tell me how he got the nickname,and I will confirm a very close link with you and your family,if I have got it wrong,then I apologise!

Did the factory make jeans for M-N S in around 1991 ?

• 3 months later...

Hi ozz! Does the nickname of a teacher called "Chip" mean anything ti ye?

If it does , tell me how he got the nickname,and I will confirm a very close link with you and your family,if I have got it wrong,then I apologise!

Did the factory make jeans for M-N S in around 1991 ?

Dont know about making jeans

Chip aka Mr Douglas was named for pinching a chip off my dinner at the middle school 

(just seen this hence the late reply)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now