Isn't the line finally getting re-opened? £30 million squid investment to get a train from Ashington to Newcastle, course now we have to make sure the dammed thing stops at a Bedlington station!

Preferred option, build a new station along Barrington Road! That sounds like a huge missed opportunity for some quality redevelopment to the existing station site and the commercial environment at Bedlington Station.

Of course, it doesn't need to be a fully functioning station - it could just be a 'halt' (a bit like a request bus stop). Are the 'old' platforms still in situ? Where I now live just about all the stations are like this and the network is thriving - you buy the ticket on the train from the conductor.

Everything is still there but disused or used as 'storehouse'. See the following link - go to the very bottom for the most modern pictures.

But what was that train I heard today? Was it a test run? It sounded like ye olde fashioned puffing billy.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bedlington/index.shtml

Everything is still there but disused or used as 'storehouse'. See the following link - go to the very bottom for the most modern pictures.

But what was that train I heard today? Was it a test run? It sounded like ye olde fashioned puffing billy.

http://www.disused-s...ton/index.shtml

Yes it was a steam train Keith and it was a rail tour as i said to everyone in the thread i started called Bedlington Rail Tour here is a photo of it.

post-2847-0-02763900-1364670947_thumb.jp

Isn't the line finally getting re-opened? £30 million squid investment to get a train from Ashington to Newcastle, course now we have to make sure the dammed thing stops at a Bedlington station!

Preferred option, build a new station along Barrington Road! That sounds like a huge missed opportunity for some quality redevelopment to the existing station site and the commercial environment at Bedlington Station.

The train did not go to Ashington due to the Signal Box being closed by Network Rail in 2009 and all signals being removed Malcolm, also there is nothing wrong with the position of the current station, it worked for years before hand and it would still work now, why fix something that is not broke?

Of course, it doesn't need to be a fully functioning station - it could just be a 'halt' (a bit like a request bus stop). Are the 'old' platforms still in situ? Where I now live just about all the stations are like this and the network is thriving - you buy the ticket on the train from the conductor.

The station is in a bit of a state with some of the platform missing but station buildings are still there and in use by Network Rail staff as a bait room i think.

Yes it was a steam train Keith and it was a rail tour as i said to everyone in the thread i started called Bedlington Rail Tour here is a photo of it.

post-2847-0-02763900-1364670947_thumb.jp

Sorry, Adam, I shouldn't have started a new topic when there was already one existing, my apologies, It was just that I was putting the key in the door when I heard the train and I wanted to find out what was going on. (Bear in mind I live up where the Terrier Pub used to be and I could hear the steam train from my house!!!) Thanks for sorting it out, cheers.

Edited by keith lockey

Sorry, Adam, I shouldn't have started a new topic when there was already one existing, my apologies, It was just that I was putting the key in the door when I heard the train and I wanted to find out what was going on. (Bear in mind I live up where the Terrier Pub used to be and I could hear the steam train from my house!!!) Thanks for sorting it out, cheers.

It's ok starting a new topic when one already exists Keith as long as you don't go mad with power and create five new topics about the same thing. Also it was loud could hear it miles away I was over on the Bebside end of the Black Bridge on the road heading to the iron works site or for those who know beside the old engine works site and heard the train coming down the line from north of Bedlington Station.

I've just had a look at that senrug website ... once I'd waded through the cobwebs I checked-out their latest newsletter (Dec '12) and plans are still active. The website needs updating 'cos when you look at it nothing is recent about the Bedder's route.

Good Photo Keith makes it look like something out of the 1950's/60's, did you get one of it coming though Bedlington Station?

Actually, I forgot it was coming Adam. My daughter took that photo when she was seeing to the ponies, the stables are right next to the line. It would have been good if the old platforms could have been opened for it coming through. Edited by keith

Where is that then Symp? Looks like we need a good model of rail management over here!

Actually, I forgot it was coming Adam. My daughter took that photo when she was seeing to the ponies, the stables are right next to the line. It would have been good if the old platforms could have been opened for it coming through.

Yes it is a shame Keith they could not have been opened up for people to use on that day.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now