As you may have read in my thread about our troubles finding rental properties a couple of years ago, we kept being turned away by landlords because we have 2 disabled children and therefore are not in full time employment. We are full time carers, and still feel that there was a lot of discrimination involved in the decisions made to turn us away.

I am happy to announce that we have been settled in our house since then, and have had zero problems with the landlord.

A S Moon helped us on the spot. They understood our problem and bent over backwards to get us into our home. They have been incredibly professional in the handling of any issues that we have had, and I would recommend them to anyone who is struggling with a similar situation.

• Like 3

As you may have read in my thread about our troubles finding rental properties a couple of years ago, we kept being turned away by landlords because we have 2 disabled children and therefore are not in full time employment. We are full time carers, and still feel that there was a lot of discrimination involved in the decisions made to turn us away.

I am happy to announce that we have been settled in our house since then, and have had zero problems with the landlord.

A S Moon helped us on the spot. They understood our problem and bent over backwards to get us into our home. They have been incredibly professional in the handling of any issues that we have had, and I would recommend them to anyone who is struggling with a similar situation.

Its good to hear that there was ahappy outcome for you.

I've just been on training course regarding the welfare reform with Bernicia. It would be interesting to hear from letting agents such as A.S. Moon how this could benefit their business. As it is, the so called bedroom tax, only affects those people on benefits , under the age of 62 who rent their property from a social landlord such as Bernicia. This paves the way for private landlords and letting agencies to tap into what can be a very lucrative market, luring people away from social housing. A single person currently living in a 3 bedroom house will be under occupying that house, ie 2 spare bedrooms, which will mean they would have their housing benefit cut by 25%. Someone living in a privately rented property will be unaffected, this can only be a good thing for the private rental sector.

I thought it was actually housing benefit receipts which were the principle driver here Keith, not the fact that the building is in the social landlord sector or private sector?

It is those in receipt of housing benefit who rent their homes from a local authority or social landlord such as Bernicia or ISOS. Those who rent privately are not affected. This is supposed to free up suitable houses to fit the needs of the of the tenant . Single person = 1 bedroom then variations on size of family, age and gender of the children. It is a complete balls up that, right up till last week, Cameron was still trying to justify and move the goal posts, even at this late stage.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now