Northumberland Pan Haggerty

Paul, I have several recipes for Pan Haggerty! and all are very similar all have sliced potatoes, onions, grated cheese, dripping or butter, salt and pepper. Layered into a pan, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper, the melted dripping is poured over everything, lid on, cook slowly for 40 minutes, brown under the grill before serving! we just called it sliced tetties!

My mother's recipe was sliced tetties and onions, cooked in a large frying pan in a gravy. Just before they are done add in slices of corned beef.

My take was to add peas and/or carrots but my son's favourite is a can of baked beans added.

Don't add the corned beef too early or it disintegrates: Blitz that up and you get a nice soup.

Quick Google search...

"Panackelty is a corruption of the word Pan Haggerty;

Panackelty is a baked dish consisting of meat, usually corned beef, bacon or lamb chops, and root vegetables (mainly potatoes and onions) which is left to bake throughout the day in a pot on low heat. Originating in the Sunderland area of North East England, the dish was a favourite of working-class families and was traditionally eaten on Monday as the leftover meat and vegetables from the previous day's meal could be used."

Quick Google search...

"Panackelty is a corruption of the word Pan Haggerty;

Panackelty is a baked dish consisting of meat, usually corned beef, bacon or lamb chops, and root vegetables (mainly potatoes and onions) which is left to bake throughout the day in a pot on low heat. Originating in the Sunderland area of North East England, the dish was a favourite of working-class families and was traditionally eaten on Monday as the leftover meat and vegetables from the previous day's meal could be used."

We want no mention of the Mackems on here like !!!!!!!!

Come on Malcolm man you have gotta be joking, Like Keith say's we dont want them on hear. Black and White through and through :thumbsup:

Pete.

As we are discussing cooking; thought I`d stir things up.

Here`s a pic of me as a 17 year old & one of my heroes:

post-2129-0-01035400-1363895553_thumb.jp

I was born in Stannington by the way!

Pete.

As we are discussing cooking; thought I`d stir things up.

Here`s a pic of me as a 17 year old & one of my heroes:

post-2129-0-01035400-1363895553_thumb.jp

I was born in Stannington by the way!

John, funnily enough one of my all time favorite goal keepers played for Sunderland, Jim Montgomory. I am assuming that's Vic Halom in the photo with you, I had to google that to find out who he was, thats my knowledge of the mackems for you.

Not sure how we ended up on this subject as the original thread was about Pan Haggerty I think we can blame Malcolm :thumbsup:

John, funnily enough one of my all time favorite goal keepers played for Sunderland, Jim Montgomory. I am assuming that's Vic Halom in the photo with you, I had to google that to find out who he was, thats my knowledge of the mackems for you.

Not sure how we ended up on this subject as the original thread was about Pan Haggerty I think we can blame Malcolm :thumbsup:

Might as well Pete everyone else does!

They do Pan Haggerty at the Northumberland Arms on Northumberland Street. Really nice home cooked grub and a reasonable price.

Next time you're being dragged around town, head there for dinner but you have to fight for a seat.

Yep Pete it was Big Vic. He was built like a Chieftain tank!

i agree: Jim Montgomery- the best goalkeeper England never had.

My eyeballs have popped out like organ stops, surely posting pics like that are desicrating the site ? I don't know just how I will be able to carry on.

Keith.

Just keep taking the pills. Make sure they are the red ones mind!

John,

I am sure I recognise you from somewhere in my 'educational' past. Well you look a whole lot more familiar with hair!

Malcolm.

To me I look a whole lot less familiar with hair. It`s been a long time gone :thumbsdown:

I`ve been at KEVI since 1975. I dont know when you were there. Maybe our paths crossed all those year ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now