What's The Crack With This?

While the original idea of the Doomsday Disc was laudable, it has surely been overtaken by technology, the pace of which couldn't reasonably have been foreseen at that time.

The fact that just about no one now can read the original 12" discs or data format is telling. "Rebooting" it not a worthwhile use of resources I think. Very much a we've suddenly got this "vast" amount of digital storage, and we need to find something to use it for project.

As far as Bedders is concerned: clicking on the two map links is telling. Particularly so if you attend to the very bottom of the map!

Love old bookshops........ problem is old bookshops and new rents and rates!

Have you been here, Malcolm. The Keel Row North Shields. Me and Maria used to go often. It's like the Tardis - small to look at but once you get inside...

post-2953-0-78431100-1363128107_thumb.jppost-2953-0-14722000-1363128628_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

Charity shops seem to do a good line in s/h books these days. There's a good one on Bowes Street, Blyth. ;)

The Annual Bedlington Book Fair sounds like a bit of fiction perpetuated by someone who's never actually been to Bedders - a bit like the illusion of the place crawling with that dog. Always pops the '60s song "England Swings" into my head - doubtless written by an American who'd never set foot this side of the pond. :)

Isn't there a nationally famous s/h book outfit at Alnwick, something to do with the old station? A snippet of s/h info brought to you by someone who's never actually been to it! :D

I went to Barter Books a few years ago - just as a car backed into another. (Poor parking space when we went.)

I would suggest Olivers at Whitley Bay, too. Its nearer Cullercoats actually - right down that way.

But please please visit the Keel Row Bookshop in Shields - magical - all kinds of old books from every genre, fiction and non-fiction.

Edited by keith lockey

I visited Barter Books years ago and thought it a terrific place but quite pricey. I agree with others here that bookshops are wonderful places to spend time. When I lived in London the secondhand book quarter was Charing Cross Road and the sidestreets leading off it ... dozens of fantastic places to browse the hours away. The place I live in now has a great secondhand bookshop; it'll even buy the books back off you once you've read them for 50% of what you paid for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now