So true Malcolm, I would imagine the landlords get a tax break on unoccupied space, none if occupied! if they were to get a % tax break on the "footfalls†or based on some other criteria then they could allow such as Cyril to rent without him having too foot all of the landlords tax loss! sounds too simple a solution.

We also have many empty premises because of high rents!

It's a pity we can't have a 'buy now pay later' system, honest, what is there to lose? Let people like Cyril have free rates and rent and if their business is a success then they can pay it back. If the business goes pear-shaped then what are the local authorities loosing!!! Nothing - the shop is empty anyway!

Edited by keith lockey

It's a pity we can't have a 'buy now pay later' system, honest, what is there to lose? Let people like Cyril have free rates and rent and if their business is a success then they can pay it back. If the business goes pear-shaped then what are the local authorities loosing!!! Nothing - the shop is empty anyway!

Sorry Keith a great common sense idea, but the council get rates regardless if the premises are occupied or empty its a bone of contention with me.

We run a business in Darlington and have done since 1986 we have out-buildings within our boundarys which are normaly rented out however for one reason or another at the moment two of them stand empty and we HAVE to pay rates on them, the council are not interested in free rates or half rates just because there empty no we HAVE pay nearly 5 grand a year for the luxury, there are ways around this but the council are not daft and litigation is very expensive.

We are as a company using your common sense idea and offering free rates but obviously charging rent to try to offset this extortion.

Sorry Keith a great common sense idea, but the council get rates regardless if the premises are occupied or empty its a bone of contention with me.

We run a business in Darlington and have done since 1986 we have out-buildings within our boundarys which are normaly rented out however for one reason or another at the moment two of them stand empty and we HAVE to pay rates on them, the council are not interested in free rates or half rates just because there empty no we HAVE pay nearly 5 grand a year for the luxury, there are ways around this but the council are not daft and litigation is very expensive.

We are as a company using your common sense idea and offering free rates but obviously charging rent to try to offset this extortion.

Mad system, Cyril, why do authorities have to impose awkward conditions, I mean a hard way and an easy way, as we both say, a common sense way is what is needed, alas...

• Like 1

I contemplated on opening a new venture in Bedlington, its was an idea in its infancy however after finding out how much rent and rates were going to cost on our front street (my idea required a frontage) it totally put the kibosh on my business plan and until they come down I,ll keep it on the back burner.

Those are the two problems councils and landlords they both only see £ signs not people and jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Tesco disclaimer at the end of its trading statement:

This document may contain forward-looking statements that may or may not prove accurate. For example, statements regarding expected revenue growth and trading margins, market trends and our product pipeline are forward-looking statements. Phrases such as "aim", "plan", "intend", "anticipate", "well-placed", "believe", "estimate", "expect", "target", "consider" and similar expressions are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from what is expressed or implied by the statements. Any forward-looking statement is based on information available to Tesco as of the date of the statement. All written or oral forward-looking statements attributable to Tesco are qualified by this caution. Tesco does not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement to reflect any change in circumstances or in Tesco's expectations.

In other words take no notice of anything we say!

After reading Malcolms link it makes me wonder if there will be MORE empty space in the market place in the shape of the old

Millne Hoose or will they just keep it for the monopoly.

Edited by Cyril

After reading Malcolms link it makes me wonder if there will be MORE empty space in the market place in the shape of the old

Millne Hoose or will they just keep it for the monopoly.

I would like to see Morrisons take it over, Bedlington was a much nicer place before Tesco came here. The only thing they have done since their arrival is buy up surrounding property and let it degenerate into slum conditions. Mind you they did have fierce competition from the weekly Market for first prize in Ruining the revamped Market Place. I must add that the Council has stood back and let the situation develop into a free for all but hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll get rid of that lot before they can do any more damage .

I would like to see Morrisons take it over, Bedlington was a much nicer place before Tesco came here. The only thing they have done since their arrival is buy up surrounding property and let it degenerate into slum conditions. Mind you they did have fierce competition from the weekly Market for first prize in Ruining the revamped Market Place. I must add that the Council has stood back and let the situation develop into a free for all but hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll get rid of that lot before they can do any more damage .

Best way to do that Foxy is vote Independent :thumbsup: , also Tesco's has said today they are pulling out of the USA so maybe they may pull out of Bedlington soon as well.

My turn to rant again about the state of our town and the general degeneration of the market square and the 'flea pit' stalls that abound whereas we should be expecting something more akin to a market town. Traders are being put off by the second hand goods stalls and the greasy spoon caravan - why can't we have something more akin to the needs of the people. I had friends visiting from out of the area a couple of weeks ago and what an ear bashing I got for sitting back and letting the area go to seed. If our councillors can't be bothered to get the place smartened up then let's kick them out and put people in who will do something about it - the whole situation really makes my blood boil and I know that I am not alone.

• Like 1

Well I may be wrong but has the Clayton Pub broke the record for the amount of broken windows. I counted 14 the other day it may have more now though. Can anybody shed some light on Jakes Bar why it is a llowed to get more and more derelict and an eyesore. Is it because it's Bedlington Station? Morpeth would"t allow it. Come on Councillors answer the question

• Like 1

Well I may be wrong but has the Clayton Pub broke the record for the amount of broken windows. I counted 14 the other day it may have more now though. Can anybody shed some light on Jakes Bar why it is a llowed to get more and more derelict and an eyesore. Is it because it's Bedlington Station? Morpeth would"t allow it. Come on Councillors answer the question

Just hope and pray that we have a new Council after tomorrow then you may get an answer. At the moment we are still stuck with the Walt Disney Characters that we've had to endure for the last Four Years,.............Fingers Crossed.

The Clayton windows were put out with a hammer (or similar) by someone that had (let's say) a 'grievence', he as been arrested. No consolation to the owners who had spent thousands , albeit under pressure, to replace all of those windows recently. Jakes bar has been recently sold, someone was in there last week securing the roof. I do know who has bought it but I do not know his plans for the place yet. To be honest, I hope it is ressurected as a pub and run properly.

Edited by keith

Foxy,

I could have put up a reply to doglover but its not the ward I am fighting so really it should be candidates or councillors from there that reply?

I can say that the East Bedlington Parish election is uncontested so the people standing there are all elected without an actual vote been cast.

• 4 months later...

NCC Area Meeting. PUBLIC QUESTION TIME.

Malcolm Robinson, West Bedlington Town Council

Mr Robinson referred to the Tesco development in Bedlington and said the 'deal' had been that Tesco would acquire the 'Gap Site' and the car park in exchange for interest in the 6 new shops and offices above, which were to be built fronting onto Bedlington Market Place.

As Tesco had varied the covenant on the car park and agreed to selective landscaping of the now overgrown 'Gap Site' it would seem they had taken ownership of the assets in question.

If that development was cancelled were ratepayers and the Bedlington Community adequately protected in the original contract and, if so, how? Mr Robinson suggested it was a possibility that the 'Gap Site' and car park might revert back into public ownership and Tesco may be held liable for costs incurred or queried if two of Bedlington's most valuable Town assets had been given away?

It was agreed that a written response be provided.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now