Has anyone got any updates regarding Tescos. It's gone very quiet. They have done exactly what everyone say they do buy up all the shops and then have the monopoly of the high street and then do nothing. Who is fighting for us at the moment or have we been forgotten. The Bedlington front street looks great at the moment with the new fronts been put on the shops but there are no decent shops now . No real reason to shop apart from food at Tescos which is exactly what they wanted.We are making do with a sub standard Morrisons and Tescos .

• Like 1

As far as i have seen Tesco's is more interested in the Tesco's Extra's they are building (Morpeth, attempt at Seaton Delaval) and seem to have put the big shops on hold, Bedlington will most likely be Last on the list of shops to do.

As far as i have seen Tesco's is more interested in the Tesco's Extra's they are building (Morpeth, attempt at Seaton Delaval) and seem to have put the big shops on hold, Bedlington will most likely be Last on the list of shops to do.

Knowing our luck they'll pull the plug in Bedlington alltogether.

Question...........Tesco...

is any development better than no development?

Or is a comprehensive, properly worked through, systematic overhaul of options and town development needed to see our Town continue never mind prosper over the next few decades.

Some half wit wrote a bit in last weeks NPL about the NCC Core Strategy not allowing us that choice! As a 'B' listed Town we continue our Catch 22 existence, not low enough in the tables of deprivation to get help and not affluent enough not to need a helping hand. Only thing I could see to try and do was to change that listing!

I am like a lot of others I know starting to do a 'Jeff Reid' - getting in the car and travelling to Cramlington Sainsbury's to do my grocery shopping - two reasons, first is more choice than Tesco in Bedlington and secondly Cramlington is a much cleaner place. The filth, grafitti and litter in the lanes behind our Front Street disgusts me and the council quite obviously don't give a damn. It's one thing to do up the shop fronts but it's only cosmetic considering what is behind Front Street.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the last poster on this. This town needs to stop letting its dogs s*** all over its streets for a kick off. If a person were to take a dump in the street you would find yourself getting arrested, dogs can p*** and s*** anywhere they like in Bedlington it seems, to some people.

• Like 1

Hopefully we should'nt have to wait much longer tomtom, the elections aren't far away and I'm sure we'll be getting rid of the Dead Wood :)

Dead Wood I have been saying it for decades and the beggers are still burning.

I have said it on here before I think our town could be a cracking little market town, with the right people in charge, those more interested in the town and not their image.

• Like 2

front streets are suffering all over the place due to the big shops taking over and moving out of town centres..the small shops find it harder to compete and yes.it is mainly due to the big guns taking over and pricing the little guys out..there is always going to be people not cleaning up after their dogs and dumping rubbish and litter, sadly it what this world is coming to..long are the days gone by when you could stop and shop with pop..

an electrical shop on front st can not get by on just hoover bags alone.

people are more afraid these days to take chances regarding their finances and every penny counts to some...if there was more money out there to be had,the place would be a brighter happier place..its a sad day alright when tesco and the likes take over but it would be worse for sure if they were not there...with out them there would be no ramp at the back to ride down on the trollys. :dribble:

The first job I ever had was at Prestos when it opened in Bedlington. I lost count of the amount of times it's changed hands since then. In those days Bedlington was still a thriving place; I could spend my wages on vinyl LPs at The Music Box; I could buy a pair of shoes at Johnson's Shoe Shop; and when I was eighteen I could go into any pub on the front street for a pint. I agree with the comments on this page but unless Bedlington gets a variety of shops then we are looking at tumbleweed blowing down the front street. Blyth might seem like a hole to many people BUT they do have a variety of shops, even I have to admit that. I was at Morissons and Tesco in Bedders this week and walked around the former in dismay. Morrisons is expensive and just hasn't got the stock; Tesco is still the better of the two but they would boost their sales if they would/could sell clothes or gardening and electrical stuff, like Asda. But just for the record, one of the best foodstores I have come across is Heron's - cheap and bloody good stuff for the most part.

But the main point is money. Without that vital necessity it doesn't matter one jot if we have a monopolizing supermarket or a corner shop. If you haven't got the dosh in your pocket then you can't spend it.

As for dog pooh - yes, it is disgusting, but so is the amount of fag ends lying outside of pubs and in the windswept corners.

Right, that's my rant....So I said to this bloke...

Edited by keith lockey

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shopping in Blyth today and couldn't believe how it has gone down hill so much lately. Yes they have the new big Morrisons not like our sub standard one in Bedlington but their streets were disgraceful with fag ends and litter bins overflowing. The shops are boarded up on every corner . Woodcocks has gone .The furniture shop has gone .Ethel Austins has gone. What is happening we.ve only got charity shops surviving. Ashington is just as bad Mr Reid is correct to say Blyth is a dump and when are we all going to stand up to these councils who are blaming each other since they,ve set up the Parish Councils. The whole area is getting so down trodden it will be so hard to get it better again.

Your not alone with this complaint, it is happening everywhere, I believe it's a sign of the times! large box stores are much cheaper to shop at, easier parking, greater selection etc, It closes down the smaller businesses, who pay less taxes, employ less locals and so on.

What is the answer? I don't know! but I do believe we have to adapt to the new situation, small towns are becoming more and more just residential and with very little commercial business. Councils will have to change their attitudes by setting different priorities! Unsightly garbage soon becomes unsanitary, unhealthy and dangerous! even the "grass cutting†(or lack of it) complaints last year soon become a hygiene concern! the empty building (Bedlington Station complaints) and their broken windows soon have vermin running around.

Times are changing!

The real problem I have is that it looks like everyone has just given up when you see the state of our small market towns. I think that's down to a lack of imagination and innovation by all sorts of people who have vested interests in our towns.

A single example. Even when new life is attempted to be breathed into our market place with a weekly market the powers that be have allowed it to disintegrate into a second-hand car boot sale. Where there was once a half decent market (discounted rents for a while!) using new liveried stalls (we paid for!) it now looks like a dump!

Plus all that new stone flags etc are now having vehicles driven over them and in some instances parked on them in complete contempt to what was stated at the time the recent marketplace revamp took place.

The Town Council has had this brought to their attention on several occasions the result, its got worse!

• Like 2

I have been shopping in Blyth today and couldn't believe how it has gone down hill so much lately. Yes they have the new big Morrisons not like our sub standard one in Bedlington but their streets were disgraceful with fag ends and litter bins overflowing. The shops are boarded up on every corner . Woodcocks has gone .The furniture shop has gone .Ethel Austins has gone. What is happening we.ve only got charity shops surviving. Ashington is just as bad Mr Reid is correct to say Blyth is a dump and when are we all going to stand up to these councils who are blaming each other since they,ve set up the Parish Councils. The whole area is getting so down trodden it will be so hard to get it better again.

The problem is the Rates council's charge if the council's cut the rates more business will come to the area but they only see the £ signs not the other benefits.

• Like 1

Non Domestic rates are set by central gov. at the moment and only collected by local councils to be passed on. Soon that changes and councils will be able to set ,collect and keep their businesses rates.

WE WILL LOOSE OUT AGAIN WHEN THAT HAPPENS!

How can Northumberland, which has consistently failed to attract any decent sized new businesses and even seen ones here fold, compete with the likes of Newcastle council (Teams) or Gateshead council (the Metrocentre) in terms of rates incomes. At the moment we get a small share of that take soon we get nowt!

Unless someone negotiates something special on our behalf the county will soon be relegated to third world status!

Speaking to a Tesco's employee yesterday as she tried to get me to use the new auto tills I suggested that insisting on using a checkout with a human being on might in fact save jobs. That was dismissed as being irrelevant and the fact that no jobs had been lost was testament to that. I asked how many checkouts was she now running and the answer was none she was just helping punters use the new auto ones. I suggested she might like to look at it slightly differently and see she was actually running 6 checkouts herself!

I said if I really wanted an impersonal service I could do it online and then Tesco's would probably get what it wants, a fully automated distribution centre.

Sorry but if we really only have service sector jobs to provide employment then at least lets have some people working in them. I would rather pay a fraction higher and see people employed than help multi nationals like Tesco reduce costs and pass on bigger dividends to their shareholders.

The problem is the Rates council's charge if the council's cut the rates more business will come to the area but they only see the £ signs not the other benefits.

I contemplated on opening a new venture in Bedlington, its was an idea in its infancy however after finding out how much rent and rates were going to cost on our front street (my idea required a frontage) it totally put the kibosh on my business plan and until they come down I,ll keep it on the back burner.

That's one of the real problems Cyril. Until we get some latitude on rents and rates then I am afraid ALL smaller market towns are in for a pasting.

Maybe rates should be assessed on footfalls instead of simply square footage and possibly take small payers out all together? I also think there might be deals to be worked on with owners so they can charge less by way of rents but get some allowance another way?

The new shops being built as part of the Tesco development, I know I know!, are supposed to be for start up businesses. Easy in easy out and low costs.

At some point someone is going to have to pull the plug.....we have waited on Tescos long enough! Time to put up or shut up!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now