The Future Of Bedlington.co.uk?

Symptoms

Ok, here's a question for GGGG & GGG or the owners of the domain. Have you made arrangements in your wills regarding the future of this site?

Those of us who've been here for years, especially those of us who contributed to the 'old' bedders site, might be concerned about the fate of this place should GGGG/GGG croak. When the last site 'went dark' for a couple of years (I'm sure it was that long) I, and maybe others, felt a sense of loss or disconnection from our shared experience of being from Bedders. I'm sure that was strongly felt by us exiles.

Ok, here's a question for GGGG & GGG or the owners of the domain. Have you made arrangements in your wills regarding the future of this site?

Those of us who've been here for years, especially those of us who contributed to the 'old' bedders site, might be concerned about the fate of this place should GGGG/GGG croak. When the last site 'went dark' for a couple of years (I'm sure it was that long) I, and maybe others, felt a sense of loss or disconnection from our shared experience of being from Bedders. I'm sure that was strongly felt by us exiles.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to this. Unless you know something that I don't?!

For the people by the people!

Shared ownership or else!

Curtains.

As explained previously Maggie, the website is essentially ran by the community for the benefit of the community. It always has been.

We're not reptilian overlords or have any affiliation with Rupert Murdoch so there's nothing to worry about

Flattered by your concern Sym, and be reassured that circumstances are now entirely different. For a start we are no longer dependant on the solvency of a small US hosting company, and have no less than three geo-diverse servers on line these days two of which are in the UK and wholly owned. It's no longer a one-man show, and in fact it's as many people who want to come on board and do something. The position of "editor-in-chief" is still open if you want the job? But, be warned, the pay is poor. :)

I'm very concious of the need to put things on a somewhat more formal basis, as so much that is Bedlington passes from pillar to post and sooner or later dies a death. That's not going to happen here even over my dead body! A community-run and civic resource it must always remain, far from the clutches of American megacorps, and - quite unlike our government - wholly democratic.

The website has very valuable historical and general interest subject information, gathered over a number of years.

Bedlington is the reason we all come together, however the Internet, I think, makes us insecure for very valid reasons.

The reason I am concerned is simple.

People on sites have sold information for commercial gain.

I am not assuming this is the case, but we all need reassurance that our ramblings are not subject to benefit any company or individual unless it is for the benefit of Bedlington and our Community.

My concerns are not aimed at the management of the site, you all do a great job.

Some things on the Internet are beyond our control.

The reason for Avatar names is proving the point and no matter how many times you tell me Brett, I will always have concerns.

I can only say sorry, I do not think you are 'Reptilian Overlords'.

Excellent news GGG and it's good to have the structure of the place explained. However, there must be cost implications in running the site, domain fee, hosting fees, and so on; how are these managed and from wha income? Of course, the term 'commercial confidentiality' would be understood.

Flattered by your concern Sym, and be reassured that circumstances are now entirely different. For a start we are no longer dependant on the solvency of a small US hosting company, and have no less than three geo-diverse servers on line these days two of which are in the UK and wholly owned. It's no longer a one-man show, and in fact it's as many people who want to come on board and do something. The position of "editor-in-chief" is still open if you want the job? But, be warned, the pay is poor. :)

I'm very concious of the need to put things on a somewhat more formal basis, as so much that is Bedlington passes from pillar to post and sooner or later dies a death. That's not going to happen here even over my dead body! A community-run and civic resource it must always remain, far from the clutches of American megacorps, and - quite unlike our government - wholly democratic.

Hear, hear threegee!

A community resource. Just like Bedlington`s very own radio station.

... there must be cost implications in running the site, domain fee, hosting fees, and so on...

They disappear into the budget of MyURL.co.uk - also a Nominet full member. Did you notice that we have always have the latest IP Board software, and often before it is released? That's because we often test bits prior to release... because... because...

If you'd feel happier with a few ads, that can easily be arranged. :)

Can you get those really irritating ones that look like posts in the thread threegee? I like those ones especially....

Only after the jump! :)

Obviously, I know little when it comes to computers.

How do Twitter and Facebook make money?

Can people who blog make money?

If money, or lack of it, is an issue, maybe we should all pay an annual fee.

The papers, films etc are all full of web piracy.

The banks and governments appear to worry!

How do lesser mortals, enjoy the benefits of a World connected whilst fearing the whole damned thing.

Our children and grandchildren can be at risk.

Can we make it safe!

This is the wrong forum but it is current!

Are we trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist? I feel quite confident with those who are running this Forum and I'm quite sure they will share with the users any problems financial or otherwise!

I'm also sure they welcome any questions or concerns being aired that leads to friendly banter amongst the users that helps everyone understand how the site works, but remember if it is posted in public it becomes public! (for ever!)

Thank you Bedlington.co.uk

• Like 3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now