W.D.C. Quote

sizsells

"QUOTE" From this weeks News Post Leader ( Awld Blyth News ) page 9

"Now that we have seen what a number of rebel Labour MPs can do to the present Government, perhaps it is time that local councillors should stand up to be counted.

Major decisions taken at Wansbeck County Chambers are left to a select band of councillors - the remaining majority are just there to make the numbers up and rubber stamp what their masters have decreed.

Just attend the public gallery and see them toeing the party line while college and schools' green fields are turned into housing estates; turning a blind eye to a major development such as North Seation which no one seems to want.

Have these minor councillors no mind of there own? Surely there at least a few who might dissent once in a while.

During my brief sojurn as a Lib Deb councillor for the College Ward in 2003, I attended a full council meeting of 45 councillors plus half a dozen council officials when the agenda was as thick as your arm, probably running to about 30 pages. And how long did that meeting last? All four and a half minutes

I timed it.

After each item on the agenda was read out, a Labour councillor leapt to his/her feet and moved that the item be passed, to be quickly joined by a compatriot who seconded the motion.

Next item, same result. No discussion. Nothing, only a silent submission, leaving the minority opposition councillors gagged and helpless. No democracy here, I fear."

MIKE KIRCUP.

Does this sound familiar ?

• 5 months later...
"QUOTE" From this weeks News Post Leader ( Awld Blyth News ) page 9

"Now that we have seen what a number of rebel Labour MPs can do to the present Government, perhaps it is time that local councillors should stand up to be counted.

Major decisions taken at Wansbeck County Chambers are left to a select band of councillors- the remaining majority are just there to make the numbers up and rubber stamp what there masters have decreed.

Just attend the public gallery and see them toeing the party line while college and schools' green fields are turned into housing estates; turning a blind eye to a major development such as North Seation which no one seems to want.

Have these minor councillors no mind of there own? Surley there at least a few who might dissent once in a while.

During my brief sojurn as a Lib Deb councillor for the College Ward in 2003, I attended a full council meeting of 45 councillors plus half a dozen council officials when the agenda was as thick as your arm, probably running to about 30 pages. And how long did that meeting last? All four and a half minutes

I timed it.

After each item on the agenda was read out, a Labour councillor leapt to his/her feet and moved that the item be passed, to be quickly joined by a compatriot who seconded the motion.

Next item, same result.No discussion.Nothing, only a silent submission, leaving the minority opposition councillors gagged and helpless. No democricy here, I fear."

MIKE KIRCUP.

Does this sound familiar ?

And still these folks get voted in

Let's wreck the gaff!

Here here, it's the auld auld story Bedlington has always been shafted. I agee with Denzel.

As for shops even in the sixties there wasent any were decent to shop in Bedlington or the Station apart from Milnes

Let's wreck the gaff!

What is there to wreck? The front streets a disgrace the amenities are virtualy non exsistant and what do we get for our council tax <_< erm street lighting and me bins get emptied but only if the lids closed and its outside on the pavement oh and I must admit I do see the lads doing their best to keep the streets clean picking up litter etc oh yes and we pay the councilors too ( I knew there was value for money somewhere ) :lol:

Guest missvic
Sod it. I'll stand for office. Anyone care to stump up the money for a deposit?

i got asked to run for council a few years back, but i feared people trying to sell stories about me to the hacks at the news post leader....

and your antics* may even get as far as the chronicle

*should the rumours be true

As for shops even in the sixties there wasent any were decent to shop in Bedlington or the Station apart from Milnes

Have you forgotten Matty Robsons, Feasters and Moldens and even Smails, late 60's Blyth Co-op was decent and Presto's next door. Bacci's for a coffee and snooker or visit the chippy next door, as a last resort there was always the Clayton Ballroom....lol :)

Have you forgotten Matty Robsons, Feasters and Moldens and even Smails, late 60's Blyth Co-op was decent and Presto's next door. Bacci's for a coffee and snooker or visit the chippy next door, as a last resort there was always the Clayton Ballroom....lol :)

I reckon something has to be done before its too late, we need to get a group together or something and fight with the useless hopeless and needless councillors that are meant to represent our town, has anyone been to see the plans yet, im sure they are at the community centre or somethin

i got asked to run for council a few years back, but i feared people trying to sell stories about me to the hacks at the news post leader....

and your antics* may even get as far as the chronicle

*should the rumours be true

History is bunk.

• 2 weeks later...