Westridge Class Pictures From The 60,s

mickypotts

Both Martin and Susan were in the same class as me throughout our time at Westridge. I last spoke to Martin was on Percy Street, Newcastle, in 1970 ... I'd just arrived off the King's Cross train and was walking up to the Haymarket to catch a bus for the onward journey to my parent's place (alas, no longer Bedders). The last time I saw Susan was at a party in Bedlington Station (she was with Martin) in 1967 ... I think it might have been a school leaving party... it could even have been in her home (did she live at B/Station?). Martin, if memory serves me correctly, lived at West Lee.

Eggs - I'll send you a personal message through the Forum with my name and contact details which you might like to pass on to Martin & Susan; it would be great to hear directly from them.

Ok. Never used that method but I will check everywhere for your message and pass it on.

Martin lived in Lilly Avenue just east of the Terriers football field - Susan I believe was Melrose Avenue at the Bank Top.

Fantastic Eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. That class photo is 'the missing one' from my collection - I posted on the Forum ages and ages ago that my copy of this photo had been lost in one of my parents house moves but for some strange reason the other half-dozen I've posted here survived. You've made my day/week/month/year/decade. I'll now examine it to add names.

Thanks again and send my thanks to Martin & Susan.

I will send that personal message (PM) sometime this week ... it'll appear, via this site, into your registered email account (and be duplicated here in your user account somewhere).

• 11 months later...

hello high pit wilma what made you start at choppington b colliery when it seems that you were a west ridge pupil at bedlington?

Hi  Lone Ranger,been a while since you asked this one,which I replied at the time,but forgot to add that a didn't ask ti gaan ti thi High Pit,a was SENT!

When a left sckyuul,in 1959,a did me training at Seaton Burn pit,and they gave aal the trainees two choices of pit that they would want ti gaan ti.

Aa asked ti gaan ti thi Aad pit at Bedlington,[thi A pit],for me first choice,cos me older brother worked there,and the Doctor pit was me second choice.

When me training was finished,a got a letter from the Coal Board,saying a had ti start at thi Choppington B pit...............and me Faather went daft wi me,as if it was my fault!!

"Ye'll get bliddy killed at yon pit,it's aal rough and ready....it waas when a worrked theor....."[from 1929-till aboot 1944..when aa was born..]

"Aal bliddy put a stop ti it,ya not gaan theor......"

But he cooled doon,and syed," Whey,ye med ya bliddy bed hard,ye'll hae ti lie in thi bugga....a nivvor waanted yi ti gaan doon thi pit ti start wi....!!"

Mind,he was reet an' aal!!

It WAAS aal rough and ready....!

Anywheh,Westridge schyuul just tuk on aal the senior pupils owa 12 years aad,and gave them aal the chance ti study for the G.C.E. exams.....

["General Certicate of Education"],which,if yi didn't gaan ti thi Grammar Schyuul,yi wadn't o' had thi chance ti dae,ti further ya education.

Yi didn't gaan ti that schyuul cos yi were brainy,o' owt like that,it was just that us Bedlington bugga's were a bit clivverer than them other bugga's from other places.................................!! [tongue-in -cheek.....like....!] 

Gud job a DID gaan ti thi High Pit,Ranger,cos a waadn't o' gettn' ti knaa ye,noo,wud aa?!..[ye canna remember me,but we got on great,both at High PIT,

AND at Bates pit,and a can still picture ye on thi 1-in 2 drift from the back drift,up ti 8's district,wi ya little spirit level hanging on the string,and ya tape measure,setting the arched gorda legs ti thi correct gradient.....skills that the layman wadn't knaa owt aboot,Ranger!!]

Has anybody got any Westridge  class photo's from 1956-1959,[including Upper Remove]?

The Evening Chronicle posted one of Mr Epsley,[Metalwork teacher],wi Trevor Hale,[school champion athlete,and fastest runner in the county,at the time],

A think Eddie Hedley,and Ian Cambell,[champion cricketer],were also on the pic,which was promoting the school,and showed these folks,huddled under the bonnet of an old "project" car,[summik like an aad 1948 morris 8 or similar,which had been donated,for the lads to learn how to do motor engineering.]

The article was full of P.R. bumf,and that car never moved up to the day that aa left school,and nae bugga did owt wi it,that aa remember!!

But a would still love ti see the pic for aad times sake,if ownly ti see Mr Epsley,cos he was a really gud teacher,and aav used the skills which he taught us,hundreds of times over,during my lifetime ,and also passed a lot on ti me two Sons..!

A was doon at Cambois beach on Friday gone,and a bumped into a couple of strangers,who stopped ti pet me little darling

Jess,[me black Labrador/Collie/cross...rescue dog..].

Me Wife chatted ti his Wife,while me and Him cracked on wi smaal-taak....as yi dae....

During the conversation,he asked me where we belonged,and when a said Bedlington,his eyes lit up,and he said,"aah,I used to teach at a school in Bedlington,many years ago"

Nice gentle bloke,lovely natured Wife,so a asked him what school it was.

"Westridge County Secondary",was his nostalgic-sounding reply!!

"What is your name,if you don't mind my cheek..",I asked him.............

"Mr Stafford,Bill Stafford,and I taught French,starting the school in 1958...."[he replied]

We discussed all the other teachers,some of who sadly passed on,[Danny Douglas,Frank Johnson..Science teacher....]

He even described correctly three other friends of mine,Martin Nicholson..[deceased very young..R.I.P.Martin..],Derek McGregor,and Micky Lucas,[sargeant Lucas's Son..old cop shop at the top-end],and said he had thought my face was familiar,when I first spoke to him.!

Of course,I'm a baldy old four-eyed git noo,but he still saw me as a kid,as ye dae.......!

He is 80 years old this week,and still looks amazingly younger!

If ya in theor Bill,[C.B.Radio-speak!],Happy Birthday mate!

A said to him how,when we were kids,the teachers were ancient,and as time has caught up with us,here we are,the same age.......whey,nearly!...HE is 80,and I am 70 in July,we're Both four-eyed old gits noo!

He laughed heartily at my joke,and said he feels MORE ancient than ever noo!

That means when I was 14 years old,in 1958,HE was 24 years old,just a skittering young ched,wi a snotty nose!.....

...but he would seem like an old-timer to us kids!

I posted somewhere else,about Mr Johnson,being a radio officer in the R.A.F during the 2nd world war,as I always thought he was.

Bill Stafford told me that Mr Johnson was a radio officer in the Royal Navy,on the mine-sweepers.

At this point,I would just like to apologise for my mis-information,[a terminological inexactitude...],and pay my respects to all our forces,especially those who gave their lives to save us from the hands of Hitler.

Unknown to us kids at Westridge,only 11 years after the war ended,Mr Johnson had risked his life many times over, in Mine-laden waters,clearing a safe passage for our ships to pass through.

.......IF ONLY WE HAD KNOWN!..[i for one,would,at 14 years of age,had the common-sense to thank him!...seeing as we both stayed in the science Laboratory,working on old valve-driven radios,dismantling,salvaging,repairing,building new projects with salvaged old parts,until 10-0pm,most nights,and on first-name terms,after school hours!

He was a real wizard with radio,[or "Wireless"...as we called it in those days!].

I was "Bill" at nights,and A..........n[surname-as usual!]....during school class hours.

Bill Stafford said he used to have a pint three nights a week,with Mr Johnson,and Danny Douglas,at the Cherry tree pub,in guide-post/Stakeford,and also remarked that Mr Johnson lived for anything to do with radio projects...he must have had the same buzz that I had,only I was learning,and he was showing me the ropes!

He was a proper old radio guy,and he would stand at the workbench,cigarette in his hand,choking the life out of me,[unintentionally of course,as he pondered which part of a circuit diagram we would tackle next...!],and would be snipping resistors,condensors,coils,transformers,etc,and soldering in replacements....all the time explaining in detail,patiently,how each component did their work in the circuit.

I used to wish my own Father had the patience of my teacher,and just to take an interest in anything I was doing,but he couldn't care less,that's how he was!

So,with self-teaching,and the great amount of help from me mentor,Mr Johnson,I gained a vast knowledge,[for an amatuer!],of all things electrical!

Digressing again...Wilma...!!

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

Bill Stafford had an Royal Navy background as well, so he and Mr Johnson certainly had lots to talk about over their pints in the Cherry- Tree. Is that pub still around?

It's still around Canny Lass.

Not a lot of info on their website :- http://www.thecherrytreebarandgrill.co.uk/gallery-5238.html

Facebook :- www.facebook.com/thecherrytreebarandgrill?ref=stream&fref=nf

Haven't been for years but heard it has, just recently, been refurbished.

16 reviews on Tripadviser - 15 say Excellent - the 16th says the previous 15 must have been written by the management!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/4/2013 at 01:12, Symptoms said:

I'm on a roll here folks ...

Photos of the School Karting Club, snapped in 66 at the back of the 'new' sportshall. Taffy Williams was the Metalwork teacher and organiser of the club.

In the second snap I can't remember the names of the little guy with specs in the centre or the little guy on the right.

Note to GGG - is it possible to upload video here? I've got quite a bit of us Westridge lads racing the karts up at Boulmer as part of the Northumberland School Karting Association. My Dad, one of a number of volunteer dads who had cars to take us up to Boulmer in convoy, had a 8mm film camera. When my Mum died I got reels and reels of his stuff transferred to DVD ... what a suprise I had when I discovered the karting footage.

post-894-0-41567000-1362330132_thumb.jpg

post-894-0-32022600-1362330141_thumb.jpg

The second go kart picture is of my brother Michael Gibb and his mates. He's the wee fella on the far right. Sdaly he' no longer with us having died in his 50's of a mystery virus. Posted by Sheila Gibb-Martin

• Like 1

On 3/1/2013 at 14:08, Symptoms said:

Here's a couple more Westridge Photos taken at Ford Castle. Westridge 4 taken 1966 or 7 & Westridge 5 taken 1964 or 5 ... can't remember exactly. I've racked by brain to come-up with names (quite confident about accuracy) but clearly there's gaps - perhaps Members could help name the question marks. Micky is that your brother Jimmy in WR5?

I'm busy putting names on some other photos I have and will post them soon.

post-894-0-04006900-1362146902_thumb.jpg

post-894-0-07464500-1362146908_thumb.jpg

Symptoms - I've added a couple of names, from previous posts, to what you already had listed. Wold you like me to add the photos into the Westridge Album on this site and post your photos on the Facebook sites and see if we can get the rest named? 

Ford Castle Westridge 4 named.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

32 minutes ago, Symptoms said:

Eggs - I'm more than happy for you to spread my snaps as widely as you like but if you can apply an acknowledgement of source that would be great.

Thanks Sym. I always do my best to add the name of originator when I post on other sites - Do you want to be referred to as 'Symptoms, off the Bedlington Community site' of another name? 

• 10 months later...

@HIGH PIT WILMA - this one is in the Westridge album but you may have missed it - have you seen it before and do you know who No 10 is? Colin Sim (Facebook - Bedlington Remembered) says - No 10 is Bill (William) thingy-me-bob

Westridge c1958 names.jpg

Sorry a didn't reply ti ya forst mail ,Eggy,but a didn't see any pic and searched though them last neet..[whey till 2-0 am this morning!!],wondering which one ye meant!

No,a don't know No 10.

The only ones a knew were those in my class at the Whitley...Ray Barrett,Tom and Jack Hindmarsh,and John Alexander,[my young playmate at Hollymoont Square,as well as at school.

It's hard ti see the pupils cos of the angle the pic was taken,of the original pic.

It beats me hoo aal my class went en-block ti Westridge,having gone through every year as a unit,even sitting next ti ya deskmate in every class,then be aal scattered aroond in different classes at Westridge!!

A wish we could get a pic of  the upper remove wi Mr Marley,wi me and aal me gud mates on! [1957-8-9].

11 minutes ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

A wish we could get a pic of  the upper remove wi Mr Marley,wi me and aal me gud mates on! [1957-8-9].

I couldn't remember the photo HPW and when Colin Sim commented with an update that he thought No 10 was Bill thingy-me-bob and I had this feeling that the lad in the open neck shirt and a quiff might just have been HPW so that's why I kept nagging you to have a look - :( - bugger

Just to try and jog a few memories of anyone who might be browsing but not posting,here is a list of those who were in my class,in the Upper Remove up to the day I left school,in 1959.

Class Teacher,a short very stocky,grey close-curled haired Mr Marley..[with a tongue like acid when he got ratty...but a great teacher otherwise!]

Billy Brown,Trevor Hale,Ian Campbell,Jimmy Scott,[aka "the gang"!],Eddie Hedley,Micky Lucas,Derek McGregor,Dennis Green,Bobby Cross,Len Thompson,Ted Smout,Martin Nicholson,Barry ?[wore   Buddy Holly specs..],Derek Goodall,Lorna Barker,Pat Purcell,Lynne Hayes,Barbara["Babs" Thornton,Isobel Bowman,Joan Henderson,Lilian Moore,Rosemary Oliver,Hilda Storey,Elsie Hall.[Joan Hogg..a think.. but could be wrong,might be thinking of my class at the Whitley School...and of course...myself.[Norman Turner tells me that he was in my class,but I can't place him at all!]

This was the first Upper Remove that was ever formed from the school opening up,therefore it was a relatively small class compared to those we had been used to at the Whitley...which was normally anywhere from 40-43 pupils!!

Next is a list of all pupils who came into my classes at the Whitley School,over the years,where pupils might have been in the class and either moved away from the area after a few terms,or were moved down or up a class through re-organisation of age groups..or  sadly deceased while very young.

Bobby Cross,Dennis Green,Alan Wilkinson,Billy Allison,Ronnie Leyland,Brian Richmond,Eddie Simpson,Sid Short,Brian Redpath,Joe Hale,Sid Newman,Bob Palmer,Gordon Parmley,Raymond Mack,Alan Lilico,Davy Weatherit,Tommy Holmes,Davy Walker,Jimmy Nealan,Jimmy Russell,Jim Hardy,Chris Watson,Alan White,Raymond Barret,Ian Darling,Norman Taylor,Norman Furness,Ronnie Hemsley,Micky Scrowther,Jimmy Ayres,Alan Stewart,Alan Spowart,John Henderson,Bobby Bell,John Wilkinson,Jimmy Brown,Terry Foote,Martin Sharpe,Billy Williamson,Jimmy Rouse.

....and now the girls.....!

Ann Ayres,Joan Holdsworth,Lorna Barker,Joan Bell,Joan Hogg,Joan Henderson,Ann Pattinson,Lynne Hayes,Doreen Dagless,Elizabeth Maize.[or May?],Pauline Short,Lilian Moore,Rosemary Oliver,Margaret Thackeray,Rita Wheallans,Natasha Patti,Linda Sanderson,Elizabeth Ellis,Anne Thompson,Barbara Thornton,Helen Treyer,Sandra Short,Joan Hartill.

There are a few who have escaped my memory,so this list is not complete!

In my mind's eye,I can picture a lot of who sat next to who,and in what position in the class desks they say sat in!

Heh heh! Eggy,a  just got notification of your reply while I was typing that list oot!

Ner,aa had moosy blackish hair.....er....when a had some that is/was!

Also,until a left school and became  a man quickly,[doon thi big black hole!!],me orders from me Faatha were aalwis ti get me hair cut ...."Short back and sides mind!!"[quote!].

A aalwis had a parting on me left side and a Crows wing-typical aad gadgy style of cut!...aaaannnnd!....me Mutha aalwis complained aboot a few strands of aakwaad hair which aalwis refused ti lie doon,reet inside the croon of where me hair was parted.[ivry photo tekkin of me since aa was aboot three years aad show this queer little sticky-up hair!].

Nae Brylcreem in them days,Butter!![then when we got a bit better off...[!!],it was a little tin of Vaseline!]

Another thing aav noticed is the relaxed dress code,cos when the school first opened,it was mandatory for school uniforms to be worn,including collar and tie...boys AND girls!...nae open shirt collar owa the coat like sum on this pic....which AA wudda preferred ti dae..[and so wud me Mutha cos she couldn't afford the uniform,really,but had ti get them oot on tick...like it or not!that's the way it was].

Apart from Ray Barrett and the Hindmarsh Bros,a divvent knaa anybody on this pic.

Thanks for the thought Eggy,Nice one!

2 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Class Teacher,a short very stocky,grey close-curled haired Mr Marley..[with a tongue like acid when he got ratty...but a great teacher otherwise!]

Billy Brown,Trevor Hale,Ian Campbell,Jimmy Scott,[aka "the gang"!],Eddie Hedley,Micky Lucas,Derek McGregor,Dennis Green,Bobby Cross,Len Thompson,Ted Smout,Martin Nicholson,Barry ?[wore   Buddy Holly specs..],Derek Goodall,Lorna Barker,Pat Purcell,Lynne Hayes,Barbara["Babs" Thornton,Isobel Bowman,Joan Henderson,Lilian Moore,Rosemary Oliver,Hilda Storey,Elsie Hall.[Joan Hogg..a think.. but could be wrong,might be thinking of my class at the Whitley School...and of course...myself.[Norman Turner tells me that he was in my class,but I can't place him at all!]

Next is a list of all pupils who came into my classes at the Whitley School,over the years,where pupils might have been in the class and either moved away from the area after a few terms,or were moved down or up a class through re-organisation of age groups..or  sadly deceased while very young.

Bobby Cross,Dennis Green,Alan Wilkinson,Billy Allison,Ronnie Leyland,Brian Richmond,Eddie Simpson,Sid Short,Brian Redpath,Joe Hale,Sid Newman,Bob Palmer,Gordon Parmley,Raymond Mack,Alan Lilico,Davy Weatherit,Tommy Holmes,Davy Walker,Jimmy Nealan,Jimmy Russell,Jim Hardy,Chris Watson,Alan White,Raymond Barret,Ian Darling,Norman Taylor,Norman Furness,Ronnie Hemsley,Micky Scrowther,Jimmy Ayres,Alan Stewart,Alan Spowart,John Henderson,Bobby Bell,John Wilkinson,Jimmy Brown,Terry Foote,Martin Sharpe,Billy Williamson,Jimmy Rouse.

....and now the girls.....!

Ann Ayres,Joan Holdsworth,Lorna Barker,Joan Bell,Joan Hogg,Joan Henderson,Ann Pattinson,Lynne Hayes,Doreen Dagless,Elizabeth Maize.[or May?],Pauline Short,Lilian Moore,Rosemary Oliver,Margaret Thackeray,Rita Wheallans,Natasha Patti,Linda Sanderson,Elizabeth Ellis,Anne Thompson,Barbara Thornton,Helen Treyer,Sandra Short,Joan Hartill.

No promises, and this could take ages and provide nothing, but there are a couple of names in the list that I think I have seen commenting on the Bedlington Facebook  groups. It could just be people with the same name of course, but one gets nowt for not trying.

Jim Hardy - last posted on Facebook - Bygone Bedlington group - September 2017

Jim Hardy.jpg

Is this the Bobby Bell you knew HPW?

Bobby Bell.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

• 6 months later...
On 03/03/2013 at 17:12, Symptoms said:

Photos of the School Karting Club, snapped in 66 at the back of the 'new' sportshall. Taffy Williams was the Metalwork teacher and organiser of the club.

In the second snap I can't remember the names of the little guy with specs in the centre or the little guy on the right.

post-894-0-41567000-1362330132_thumb.jpg

post-894-0-32022600-1362330141_thumb.jpg

@Symptoms - I have posted your two photos (+ some year West Ridge end of term class photos) on the Facebook Bedlington remembered group site for a couple of members - Ardia Melissa Wilkinson & Veronica Leathwaite Kirkman who asked me if I had any photos of their relatives , three brothers named Billy, David and Keith Wilkinson who went to the Whitley Memorial school. I didn't have any of them at the Whitley but a search on this site tracked them down in the Gallery photos and the search also returned a link to this topic. They said that David had passed away, age 16, and they did not have any school photos of these three.

They asked me to say thank you to those that provided the photos. Thank you Sym  :thumbsup:

One comment from Veronica was :- Now I have photos of all three of my gorgeous cousins as young boys we had lots of lovely childhood memories lots of love lots of laughter I don’t get to see billy and keith a lot as we live in Lancashire but when we do see each other it’s as though we only seen each other yesterday thanks for all your help xx and our Ardia will be chuffed with this photo of her dad xx

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now