Westridge Class Pictures From The 60,s

mickypotts

How about John Bowman, Michael Furlong or Desa Reay they all lived near the Bank top?

I knew Des Reay, he lived over the the road from us - Clement Avenue. I believe he was a miner and he always wore a dufflecoat. The other two I can't place, but my bro says he remembers Michael Furlong; he says he was a good goalie. I wasn't at the West Ridge; I'm a Woody Schooler. But my brother used to hang around with Den Reygate and Michael Logan. We all used to play football together.

Photo 2/5. Year below me , however I do recognise quite a few but I am limited to putting names to those I remember apart from Pauline Aikman , Hilda Eastlake and Melvyn Douglas

Photo3/5 . Again I remember a few but I`m struggling with names however John Patterson and I think Melvyn Naisby appear in the picture , again this is a group that were a year below us.

Photo 5/5 Only person I recognise is Bill Stafford - - French Teacher

I`ve looked but can`t find any old school photos

Regards

John Bowman

Keef2, Des Reay lived in Poplar Grove on the corner across the road from me. We used to hang about together although he was a couple of years younger than me I'd known him since he was tiny. We used to kick about with Alan Henderson from further up the Grove and Alan Morris from Terrier Close, you may have known him Keef2!

Keef2, Des Reay lived in Poplar Grove on the corner across the road from me. We used to hang about together although he was a couple of years younger than me I'd known him since he was tiny. We used to kick about with Alan Henderson from further up the Grove and Alan Morris from Terrier Close, you may have known him Keef2!

Apologies, Orloff, Des Reay did live at Poplar Grove - not Clement. I believe there was two Alan Hendersons - one got the nickname 'Hatchet'. My bro knew them both better than me. Alan Morris lived round the corner from us, his sister Lesley is on one of the photos, we were good friends.

Elizabeth Coultard was in my class, very nice Lass, what was the name of her freind with the platinum blonde hair??

Elizabeth Coultard was in my class, very nice Lass, what was the name of her freind with the platinum blonde hair??

Can't remember really, she knocked about with Gwen Robinson a lot. If you remember, our Elizabeth represented the county with the Javelin

Hatchet lived in the Dr Pit Rows, he was in my class at the Whitley. There was quite a lot at the Westridge from the Poplar Grove, Hudson Ave, Dean View area, my cousins the Coulthards lived in Poplar Grove, Richard,George,Gordon and Elizabeth all went to Westridge.

We were just on about that, Keith, because in the sixties - seventies there were kids of our age - in our street - who all went to different schools. Me and bro were at the Woodys', Lesley Morris was at Westridge, as were others just doors away. How did the work the cachement area out. It baffles me!

We were just on about that, Keith, because in the sixties - seventies there were kids of our age - in our street - who all went to different schools. Me and bro were at the Woodys', Lesley Morris was at Westridge, as were others just doors away. How did the work the cachement area out. It baffles me!

.......... Then I go to a boarding school in Cheshire

Are these Pictures of Westridge Secondary Modern or is this a different Westridge?

Bedlington Westridge, Adam. I hasten to add they are not mine. I got them surfing for old school photos on Friends Reunited. I know many of the people on them - neighbours and friends. The 2nd & 5th I know no one.

Here's a couple more Westridge Photos taken at Ford Castle. Westridge 4 taken 1966 or 7 & Westridge 5 taken 1964 or 5 ... can't remember exactly. I've racked by brain to come-up with names (quite confident about accuracy) but clearly there's gaps - perhaps Members could help name the question marks. Micky is that your brother Jimmy in WR5?

I'm busy putting names on some other photos I have and will post them soon.

post-894-0-04006900-1362146902_thumb.jpg

post-894-0-07464500-1362146908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Symptoms

The two photo's from Ford Castle, second photo 5th row middle Alan Charlton and I would agree with names entered so far as for the year 1964. I can still hear the peacock's calling out even now they kept me awake every night.

Westridge County Secondary School well thats what it say's on me school reports anyway.

Thanks for those contributions - if, and when I get some more I'll add them to the photos and upload new ones.

Orloff, are you sure about Helen Hurst/ Mary Tyler? I'm sure it's Mary ... I had a real crush on her but never had the nerve to ask her out; she was friends with Pauline Brown who I also liked.

What seems to be driving this thread are the few photos that are being published ... they are quite rare. We think that there were tons of cameras owned by folks back then - even as late as the 60s - but they weren't that commonly used ... cost of buying them and cost of film/processing was maybe beyond most working family budgets. What we tend to see are photos from schools or works (or photo booths or beach snappers) that were done on contract and then made available to the punters. But again budgets must have been tight even for those school photos, including group shots and individual snaps. Thankfully my parents were just able to scrape the few shillings needed so I do have a few. However, the most important one I remember must have been lost in a house move 'cos when I went to clear my Mum's house after she died I couldn't find it.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now