Microsoft's 57 Varieties Of Security Hole

threegee

Tuesday will see the release of a large number of security patches to Microsoft software. Full details are here: http://technet.micro...lletin/ms13-feb

The main patches are to gaping security holes - some already being exploited - in Internet Explorer 10 going all the way back to Version 6! Several of these vulnerabilities permit remote code execution.

There's also a new version of the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

In the left pane, click Change settings.

Choose the option that you want.

Under Recommended updates, select the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Turn-automatic-updating-on-or-off

Then you can update at your own convenience and select which updates are actually important not what Microshaft tell you are important.

That's my machine gonna crash again then....................every Microsoft update!

Hmmm... I recommend a full backup before installing this one. In fact I'm doing that for someone else's machine right now! Reason: I expected a smooth experience, but no! My own very stable W7 machine didn't reboot and went to a black screen with only the mouse cursor. Half an hour later just the same - this on an i5 machine with a top of the line SSD! Rebooted only on the third attempt, and only after a cold boot.

Suddenly a Chromebook is looking very attractive, and I'm definitely going to aim at creating a Windows virtual machine to run under Linux, rather than the other way around!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now