Oval Shops

After looking through this old posting I think I can add something.

The barber was called Goodsell and drove a 2 tone Sunbeam Rapier which was like a Hillman Minx but had more chrome and extra bits inside for the driver to play with. It had a radio which was a rare thing in those days. Mr Goodsell may have lived Gosforth way.

My mother Amy was a driver for Wakes and then Soulsbys delivering pies and pasties to various places including Guide Post in an A35 van which was either blue or green. I'm sure she was working there when big Dez ????? began working there. Wakes had a shop at Newbiggin but I'm not sure if they opened that after leaving the oval.

Kramers was a wool shop at first and had a Mrs Brown there serving people. She lived in Elenbell Ave. I think she was working several days a week but not all the time so perhaps Mrs Kramer put some time in.

Beadnells shop was full of stuff piled up all over. I don't know how he found owt but knew what he had in the shop.

I remember Swans at the west end of the west block of shops.

There were flats above the shops belonging to the council and the ones I visited were accessed from the rear lane. There were garages at the bottom of that lane and my dad kept his car in one of them.They were small flats and as far as I know none of the shop people lived in them. I believe the shops were all rented from the council.

Jammy

10 hours ago, Jammy said:

The barber was called Goodsell and drove a 2 tone Sunbeam Rapier which was like a Hillman Minx but had more chrome and extra bits inside for the driver to play with. It had a radio which was a rare thing in those days. Mr Goodsell may have lived Gosforth way. -

Now that's one name that would never have returned to my memory. I just remember him as having slicked back 'brylcreamed' hair and you had to remember to ask for a 'straight cut' (think that's what it was) at the back otherwise you got a short back and sides🙂 

My mother Amy was a driver for Wakes and then Soulsbys delivering pies and pasties to various places including Guide Post in an A35 van which was either blue or green. I'm sure she was working there when big Dez ????? began working there. Wakes had a shop at Newbiggin but I'm not sure if they opened that after leaving the oval.

Wakes - the son was Kinglsey Wake, about 4 or 5 years older than me, and the daughter, younger than me, I think was called Jennifer.

Kramers was a wool shop at first and had a Mrs Brown there serving people. She lived in Elenbell Ave. I think she was working several days a week but not all the time so perhaps Mrs Kramer put some time in.

In the late 50's and early 60's I must have been sent to Kramers every week to get a couple of 'hanks' of wool that my mam would have put by. My mam was always knitting and with three lads, born 1946, 47 & 48, we each got the same style of jumper for school and play. I must have spent hours with a hank of wool stretched over my two hands whilst my mam rewound the wool into a ball.

Beadnells shop was full of stuff piled up all over. I don't know how he found owt but knew what he had in the shop.

Beadle's - I remember he once had a motorbike for sale in his newsagent/hardware/allsorts shop.

I remember Swans at the west end of the west block of shops.

There were flats above the shops belonging to the council and the ones I visited were accessed from the rear lane. There were garages at the bottom of that lane and my dad kept his car in one of them.They were small flats and as far as I know none of the shop people lived in them. I believe the shops were all rented from the council.

The flats above the shops I will have to see if I can drag some names back for those that lived in them.

Jammy

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Yes I sat with a hank of wool between my hands several times. My mother also had wool 'put away'.

I thought about Mr Goodsell with his Brylcremed hair after I posted. When I was younger it was a short back and sides then the fashion changed and I went for a crew cut followed by a Mohican but I didn't have shaved sides, only the cockerels crest.

There was a lass called Liz(Elizabeth) Butcher and parents(I think) who lived in one of the flats in the block that was pulled down. You lived closer than me eggy so you have more chance than me with other names.

I noticed doors in the middle of the front of the block on the old photos. Perhaps that was a front entrance.

15 hours ago, Jammy said:

There was a lass called Liz(Elizabeth) Butcher and parents(I think) who lived in one of the flats in the block that was pulled down. You lived closer than me eggy so you have more chance than me with other names.

Thinking long and hard but no names, apart from Elizabeth, coming. As @Ovalteeny lived in The Oval street he is sure to come up with some names🙂 

back I noticed doors in the middle of the front of the block on the old photos. Perhaps that was a front entrance.

That was a front door entrance to the flats above the shops. Your voiced echoed loudly inside the entrance.

160631396_TheOval.thumb.jpg.6d849777264922a106633000a16da653.jpg

A member, Doug Wear, on the Bygone Bedlington group posted :- 

1712202063_DougWear.jpg.22a2ea478bcd4605ef0b620a1b533618.jpgDoug Wear LOVED MY HOME NUMBER 9 ABOVE GEORGES NEXT DOOR WAS ALICE AND JACK COCKBURN IN1953 -1960

@Jammy - new I had seen Elizabeth comment of the Facebook groups but it took a while to track a comment down - we have the surname wrong, it was Buchart.

Elizabeth Armstrong
Elizabeth Armstrong I lived at 27 the oval above the newsagents with mum dad an sister Blanche our maiden was Butchart
Hide or report this

2 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Jammy - The Oval House and Shops - your starter for 10.

@Ovalteeny - I finally got around to it, with the help of Elizabeth Armstrong (ne Buchart).

The Oval named2.jpg

Eggy,

I remember the following from about 1955 to 1962 (when I was aged 13yrs). The numbers below are taken from the numbered google map you provided. 

No.30 is Kramers wool shop. 

Beadnells was a double fronted shop so don't know if it was 2 shops converted to one or whether it was built double fronted. There wasn't a dividing wall between the 2 halves of the shop. It's number is 29. So either 26 or 25 was Wakes pie shop. 

The next shop along from Wakes was the hairdresser whose name was a ladies name like Sheilas, I believe. I will know the name once I hear it. I don't remember where the docs or the chiropodist was. Perhaps the hairdresser became a chiropodist at a later date.

Warnes were no.1 as Ovalteeny say's. No's 2 to 6 are correct. 

It's Goodsell the barber. He didn't use Brycreme on his customers. It was a liquid from a silver coloured metal bottle with a narrow neck that he shook onto his hands and rubbed in. It set quite hard.

I'll have a think about the other shops and come back.

@Jammy - also added the image to the Facebook group, Bygone Bedlington, and I have worked my way through the many comments (40+ to date) and along with yours added some names. Naturally there will be some wrong - going back 55 - 65 years to name the occupants in the late 50's to early 60's is going to throw up some conflicts, and it already has. Like you I always remember Beadle's as a double fronted shop and to match in with the numbering of the houses I have given him two numbers.

I will update as more comments are posted:)

The Oval named2.jpg

21 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Jammy - The Oval House and Shops - your starter for 10.

@Ovalteeny - I finally got around to it, with the help of Elizabeth Armstrong (ne Buchart).

The Oval named2.jpg

@Jammy - also added the image to the Facebook group, Bygone Bedlington, and I have worked my way through the many comments (40+ to date) and along with yours added some names. Naturally there will be some wrong - going back 55 - 65 years to name the occupants in the late 50's to early 60's is going to throw up some conflicts, and it already has.

One of the problems with naming the shops is they changed occupiers now and again. I'm trying to name them as I knew them in the 50's.

I'm struggling to name anymore. Dobson may have been in number 19 but I don't know if or when. I need a bolt out of the blue!

Canny Lass

Brilliantine is a name I've not heard for probably 60yrs. Yes that's what Mr Goodsell used. Probably cheaper than Brylcreme and he may have bought it by the half gallon and decanted into his metal container.

• Like 1

@Jammy & @Ovalteeny

Elizabeth Buchart knows more but we agreed to let the other members on the groups have a go at remembering first rather than her add all the names she could remember. I have now asked Elizabeth to have a look at those named so far and give me any updates over the next couple of days. 

Names so far :- 

The Oval named3.jpg

Tonight I emailed Kramers, Mrs Brown son-in-law, 91yrs young John, and he said the doctors was in the corner no.30 and Kramers was no.29.

He also said Binks the chemist was there before he moved to the top end. A logical place to have a chemist with a doctor close by. My guess is the chemist was in the west block

I've asked him to think of any other shops that were there.

Yes, Charlottes the hairdresser. I knew it was a ladies name.

Soulsby fits in between Wake and Lewin.

I've just noticed you have a chemist listed. Lol.

Jammy

I cannot remember another wool shop or another barbers at the oval shops as indicated. If you look at the earlier black and white photo of the west block, No.13 seems to have a manikin in the window and a curtain hanging from the door -- to afford some privacy? Could that shop have been a draper? No.11 does look like a chemist and No.12 looks like a barbers. I cannot see any clues what No. 14 was from the window display. There appears to be a part glass half screen running across the back of the window. Something to also provide some privacy?

There seems to be some confusion where the various shops were. I think that arises because the shops changed hands many times. I'm trying to list them as they were when they first opened or my first recollection in 1954 when I was 5yrs old.

No one has mentioned the red telephone box. I remember one evening while waiting for a girlfriend the phone in the box rang. I ignored it the first time then 5 mins later it rang again so answered it. It was the police trying to contact the local bobby on his beat. I got a right grilling on the phone. I was asked why was I there and what was I doing. What was my name and where did I live. The copper suggested I was a LONG WAY from home. He obviously didn't know the area because I lived in Tomlea Ave. It rang a short while later but left it alone. Never did see that local bobby.

Memory tester.  Outside which shop was the telephone box?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Memory tester.  Outside which shop was the telephone box?

East half but  exactly where I can't remember. Don't think I ever made a phone call from that box. 4d a call in the early 60's?. The only time I went in was to press button B and see if any coppers were returned.

download (1).jpg

When I moved down to London then Windsor (with the help of someone called Alan Edgar) in 1969 I used to phone my Mam most Sunday evenings at 7:00pm. Mam and Dad didn't have a phone at 3 The Oval, so my Mam would go down to the bottom half of the shops and stand outside the Oval Telephone Box and when it rang, we'd have a weekly catch up.

The kids today, don't know the half of it.

The phone box was just outside the Chiropodists.

Edited by Ovalteeny
  • Like 2

Shortly after I got the grilling from the policeman I pressed button 'B' but that didn't bring any coppers!

I knew the telephone box was opposite No.20. There was a good space to walk in-between the shop and the phone box.

14 hours ago, Jammy said:

Shortly after I got the grilling from the policeman I pressed button 'B' but that didn't bring any coppers!

I knew the telephone box was opposite No.20. There was a good space to walk in-between the shop and the phone box.

Post Box added to photo:) - not perfectly placed but avoiding covering any numbers:D

The Oval named3.jpg

Hi. Spotted this topic regarding oval shops. Reminded me of a lad I knew from my army days who I remember playing football on the green opposite shops. His name was Maurice Cullen. He and I were in the same regiment the Guards. Good lad and we played football together while serving in the 1960s. I left army 1970. Wondered if he ever came back to bedlington. My wife and I left bedlington in 71 so would never have known. Incidentally Keith I remember dating a girl from near shops the sister of your friend Jim Hunter. I recollect you and him playing around the woods when we were looking after him sixties. So long ago. Keep safe and well everyone. Regards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jr6468 said:

Hi. Spotted this topic regarding oval shops. Reminded me of a lad I knew from my army days who I remember playing football on the green opposite shops. His name was Maurice Cullen. He and I were in the same regiment the Guards. Good lad and we played football together while serving in the 1960s. I left army 1970. Wondered if he ever came back to bedlington. My wife and I left bedlington in 71 so would never have known. Incidentally Keith I remember dating a girl from near shops the sister of your friend Jim Hunter. I recollect you and him playing around the woods when we were looking after him sixties. So long ago. Keep safe and well everyone. Regards.

Now you got me thinking @Jr6468. I remember Tommy Cullen and his younger sister, Elsie, from No 6 but I can't remember a Maurice. Tommy was around the same age as me so would be born c1948 - Elsie about 4 years younger. My memory has hidden Maurice🙃

Hi Alan. It has been so long since I was serving in Army.  It wouldn't be the first time I got names wrong. You could well be correct. However,  the name Maurice has been in my memory for a very long time. I remember meeting him on oval green playing football then later I bumped into him at Chelsea barracks in 67. His company went to British Honduras for 6 months then we met up again in 68 and eventually got back playing football up to my leaving in 70. He was a really good player and also a good lad. Thanks for getting back Alan and take care mate. Jim

Eggy, myself and wor Allan (from No. 3 The Oval) plus David Rix (No. 5) and Tommy Cullen (No. 6) were the nucleus of lads who played football (and cricket) on the Oval Green throughout our childhoods. Tommy was in the school year below me, so about your age. Yes, he joined the Army. With me moving to work down South in 1969 I simply lost track of him so don't know where he ended up.

Nr6468, there was another lad who also played football with us, called Maurice Patty who lived in Roslin Park, but he didn't join the Army, he worked in the kitchens at St. Georges Hospital in Morpeth.

I think you and Alan are probably correct.  To many coincidences not to be true. As I say my memory can play tricks. Been so long. My relatives have long gone from bedlington, parents etc, so have not been down that way for many years. I miss the woods and the river activity we had back then. Cinema visits every week and the public house's were full with people playing darts dominoes. Took my daughter down there years back to see where I met her Mum and where used to go on dates. Changed so much. Thanks for your help on this. Hope Tommy is well wherever he is

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now