Oval Shops

Here are some photos of the oval shops in front of Kelso gardens - opposite Foundry House. (Which stands on our old playing field)

The shops in photo 3 are going to be pulled down soon - so we have heard.

Can anyone remember the shops from the sixties and seventies?

There was Strakers on the corner...further down a barbers, Doreen's wool shop, a co-op!!!. Then across that gap was Dennis's, Christines chiropodists....Routledge the butchers, the newspaper shop, last owned by Colin Mole and the rest is lost to history.

During the course of time there have been a green grocers, video shop, pet shop, fish and chip shop and who knows what else.

Please help lads and lasses, cos I've got a bad doze of nostalgia.

post-2953-0-97348300-1359742829_thumb.jppost-2953-0-49831000-1359742836_thumb.jppost-2953-0-39573900-1359742844_thumb.jp

Keith I am not sure about the late sixties or seventies as I left Bedlington in Feb 1966

Picture one from left to right; the first shop was George Swann's. Next shop was the Chemist can't remember the name of the people that owned it followed by the Barbers. Not sure if the next shop was a wool shop originally. The Co op. owned the double shop at the end of the first row.

Picture three from left to right: the first shop was Dobson's it was similar to George Swann's, as your post already says the next shop was Christine Henderson's the Chiropodist, this was followed by Wakes the Butcher. The next shop was Mr Bedanell's news paper shop but he did sell other things as well, the last shop was a Draper's as far as I remember. The time period that I am referring to would be in the early fifties when they were first built.

Edited by Pete

The wool shop was Doreen's - Mr Blythman took over when his wife, Doreen, died. My bro says there was a drapers but I can't remember. He also mentioned a chemist but I can't recall that either. He did say one of the shops had a weighing machine out front where you could get yourself weighed.

Here's another shot of the first row - with the gable ends out of shot.

post-2953-0-02293200-1359744598_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

PS. If you look at this photo you will see a bloke in a red car glaring at me. I didn't notice him when I took the photo - not until he drove passed me and gave me the evil eye. I thought he was going to get out of the car!! But the barbers was in one of those green door shops.

post-2953-0-05787000-1359744852_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

you are wrong after wakes it was soulsbys and then don lynns .as my mother in law worked for both of them

Arthur Routledge was the butcher at the oval for many years 150% certain. He was our butcher and a family friend. Don and Jean Lynn were both also family friends. Don was a particularly close friend of my dads. Authur Routledge would often deliver the meat himself and continued to do so after my dad died, making sure my mother was ok. When he retired My mother then used Bobby Cowell at the station, we still do.

yes routledge was the butcher after soulsbys and lynns

I bumped into Alan Routledge the other day in Tescos. I was telling him about the shops. One of the other shops I remember was Mick's Video shop in the first row - where the Co-op shop was. But am I right in thinking the Perry's had a greengrocers in that row. Keith was in my class at school but I never see him or Dave now.

Edited by keith lockey

Keith lives at Kitty Brewster and Dave has that big house at what was Wades. Dave had the shop down there for while as well as the mobile green grocers.

I saw Dave come out of that drive the other week so that explains it. But tell me more about this music shop, Keith, neither me nor my bro can remember it. Was it instruments or vinyl records?

Instruments. It wasn't there very long as far as I can remember. They sold all sorts including piano's , drums, guitars as well as sheet music. I can't remember if it was before or after the Motorbike shop (after I think) It was the shop on the opposite corner to Denis's. (what was the co-op)

Edited by keith

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now