I guess controversy sells newspapers but would someone be put off expressing an opinion because it could be shot down in flames.

People can take offense in the work place at minor items, it seems.

I do not see many females contributing to the debates.

I am not being controversial, it seems a good topic within this topic to debate.

I was in the debating society at Westridge, maybe that is to blame. If blame has to be apportioned.

Maggs* - I'm afraid that intolerance exists everywhere and should always be challenged. Bigotry railed against, prejudice denounced, narrow-mindedness protested against, fanaticism fought, small-mindedness broadened, Conservatism sniped at, stop!, stop!, stop now! The few of us brave enough to gloriously engage with these forces of darkness, forces dreaming of a return to the values the Middle Ages, need to make our presence felt here. We must constantly guard these ramparts, we must fight them on the landing grounds and on the beaches, we must resist them in the hedgerows until victory is ours.... again stop, stop, stop!

Don't desert our thin ranks Maggs.

*I hope you don't mind being called that?

Symptoms I have been called worse!

My mother always insisted on Margaret, hence I answer to most things.

The biggest compliment was my mother saying ' mind Margaret you have always been awkward'

Maybe I should not have taken it as a compliment.

I think it is essential to bring kids and now grand kids up to have a mind of there own.

You feel then that they can say no to drugs and injustice.

There is also that old one about shy bairns getting nowt.

However the disadvantage is they argue with me.

Would not want it any other way.

We get the kids we deserve!

I guess controversy sells newspapers but would someone be put off expressing an opinion because it could be shot down in flames.

People can take offense in the work place at minor items, it seems.

I do not see many females contributing to the debates.

I am not being controversial, it seems a good topic within this topic to debate.

I was in the debating society at Westridge, maybe that is to blame. If blame has to be apportioned.

I must admit I have decided not to post when it I know it would be against the flow! (think twice, post once!) A while ago the topic was about bringing up children with respect, teachers not being "allowed†to discipline etc, I decided to stop my posting on that topic as it was raising the level beyond what I thought was polite discussion!

"We get the kids we deserve!†We got us a new Great Grandson on Monday! (#3) all doing well.

Congratulations on the small print Vic.

We have not got to that stage yet.

Just the twelve grand kids for us.

We love it, they make our life so special. Even if they shred the old net curtains.

They were my mothers and needed to go.

post-2999-0-15037200-1363200194_thumb.jp

Congratulations on the small print Vic.

We have not got to that stage yet.

Just the twelve grand kids for us.

We love it, they make our life so special. Even if they shred the old net curtains.

They were my mothers and needed to go.

Thank you Maggie,We have four children, Ten grandchildren and three great grandchildren! love em all! I wish they lived closer but that makes the visits so much better!

The Guardian today has an interesting article on the suffragettes.

Page12 the Review

Smashing the Glass. Manchester Art Gallery is celebrating the picture smashing with a series of events and exhibitions called Wonder Women

Facts and figures. Lots of examples of unfairness.

It is maybe difficult to understand why these ladies behaved so badly but they felt it was hugely important. Have things changed?

Deeds not words

You might be interested in the Who Do You Think You Are programme on actress Helen Hunt. It was still available on iPlayer the last time I looked. She finds out that one of her ancestors was a leading figure in the US Suffragettes around about the time of EWD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...es_3_Episode_2/

• 3 weeks later...

Epsom Racecourse now has a plaque in memory of Emily. It has been erected at the place where she suffered her fatal injuries.

It seems the ceremony was attended by a large number of Emily's relations who came from all over the World.

The plaque says

' her lifelong dedication to women's suffrage and the contribution she made to the lives of British women, past and present, is remembered'

Lauren Caisley unveiled the plaque.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now