Just thinking about this again. Is i right that Emily had been in a phychiatric hospital twice prior to her death ?

I think that is correct ?

I don't know about the psychiatric hospital, John, but she had a record of arson attacks and militancy and I read somewhere that fellow suffragettes said she worked, at times, without their sanction. She did have many 'stays' in women's prisons and threw herself down some iron steps once. My main argument ALL ALONG in this thread is that the whole affair could have been handled better. The jockey could have been killed and the suffragette movement could have been damaged by such an incident. Even suffragettes agree on that point. By all accounts she seems to have been a loose cannon but she became a martyr and only bad guys go against martyrs, so I'll dust off my black hat and wait for the audience to boo and hiss at me. PS Even historians are mixed about this whole incident. I wish people would just let her RIP.

Edited by keith lockey

Seriously!!! Resorting to cheap cartoons when the argument goes against you. Why not tell teacher on us and be done with it! "Please sir the two Keith's are ganging up and putting a viable argument forward."

Edited by keith lockey

There are always two sides to every argument.

It is not about winning or loosing, it is simply called having a viewpoint that differs from others.

If Emily had a mental health problem, we should try to understand why, not demonise her.

People with special needs were called Holy Fools long ago and felt to understand more than most.

Last weeks Morpeth Herald carried a letter from a lady living in Bedfordshire.

She said as a former resident of Morpeth, that she was 'absolutely amazed at the extensive research that the author Maureen Howes had undertaken in researching her book "A Sufferagette's Family Album"

She feels that a film MUST be made of this story.

I didn't say she had mental health problems, Maggie, that wasn't me. In fact I put this debate behind me sometime back, only it keeps resurfacing. I would prefer that everyone moves on from this stalemate, as you said yourself, we all have our own opinions about this issue, even the historians can't agree upon that incident so long ago. So let's say R.I.P. Emily Davison.

Edited by keith lockey

I did not say anything about you Keith.

You do not need to read the thread.

You are not the only person reading items on the site.

People may want local interest stories and may not have access to the local papers etc.

You have made your points well known on this subject.

Allow people to make up there own minds.

I don't know about the psychiatric hospital, John, but she had a record of arson attacks and militancy and I read somewhere that fellow suffragettes said she worked, at times, without their sanction. She did have many 'stays' in women's prisons and threw herself down some iron steps once. My main argument ALL ALONG in this thread is that the whole affair could have been handled better. The jockey could have been killed and the suffragette movement could have been damaged by such an incident. Even suffragettes agree on that point. By all accounts she seems to have been a loose cannon but she became a martyr and only bad guys go against martyrs, so I'll dust off my black hat and wait for the audience to boo and hiss at me. PS Even historians are mixed about this whole incident. I wish people would just let her RIP.

Right, that must be it she was in prison a couple of times.

Thanks for clearing that up Keith

Last weeks Morpeth Herald carried a letter from a lady living in Bedfordshire.

She said as a former resident of Morpeth, that she was 'absolutely amazed at the extensive research that the author Maureen Howes had undertaken in researching her book "A Sufferagette's Family Album"

She feels that a film MUST be made of this story.

Must try and get that book Maggie, what you say about the research makes it a must-read for me now. Many thanks for letting me know

You didn't answer my questions, Maggie, and I don't understand your reasoning, BUT try this one, from Germaine Greer of all people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10089541/Emily-Davison-was-she-really-a-suffragette-martyr.html

The last paragraph seems to sum it up. The scarf in the colours of the suffragette movement was still around her waist when she stepped out in front of the horse. Not the best place to be carrying something that you intend to pin to the bridle of a horse galloping towards you, I would have thought .

The problem with a subject as utterly emotive as this one is that now, a century later, we have inevitably lost a great deal of the context in which it took place. I'm in complete agreement with the fact that she carried out a reckless,ill-thought out and dangerous act that endangered not just her life but that of others, and that the suffragettes had indulged in some pretty dirty tactics, but - and this applies to terrorists and campaigners today - the major fact to consider is that, while we can sit back and say 'they should have done it this way' they - quite clearly - had good reason to believe that the route they took was the one that would get them the results they sought. Why they believed that, and why some believe that what we see as reckless and ill-thought out acts are valid today, is what we should be focusing on.

In the new book, it seems Emily has a Bedlington family connection. There was even a pit sunk by the Family.

The Emily Inspires exhibition opens on Saturday at Morpeth Town Hall and continues until Sept 15th.

The scarf will only be there until the 15th June, when a weekend of events to commemorate the anniversary take place.

It seems there is to be a procession from Morpeth Railway Station to Saint Mary's Churchyard following the route of her funeral cortège. Then a church service.

The scarf is allowed, by its owner Barbara Gorna, to be on permanent display in the Houses of Parliament.

In the new book, it seems Emily has a Bedlington family connection. There was even a pit sunk by the Family.

The Emily Inspires exhibition opens on Saturday at Morpeth Town Hall and continues until Sept 15th.

The scarf will only be there until the 15th June, when a weekend of events to commemorate the anniversary take place.

It seems there is to be a procession from Morpeth Railway Station to Saint Mary's Churchyard following the route of her funeral cortège. Then a church service.

The scarf is allowed, by its owner Barbara Gorna, to be on permanent display in the Houses of Parliament.

Thats a nice way to remember her and the person for the scarf to let it be displayed permanently at Parliament.

Sadly, we won't be around for the next 100 year to remember, but the forum users have definately had a good contribution to this topic for us.

Thats it for me on this topic, just need the know about the Bedlington connection really.

Val McDermid in last Saturdays Guardian describes Emily as a local hero.

She says 'Emily's life should be defined not by her death, but by her tenacity and passion.

She goes on to say that a contemporary described her as "always looking for the next thing to do" . Just imagine what she might have achieved if she'd survived.

Emily may she rest in peace, was demonised by some politicians and by some elements of the media, after she died.

The great British public voted with their feet and flocked to the London Funeral.

Others lined the route of the the train standing at stations to pay there respects.

In Morpeth crowds gathered to pay witness and respect to a lady who has been described as a local hero.

I guess nothing has changed, there are still elements who do not understand why she did what she did.

I feel that horse racing is dangerous, but I also think the jockeys and horses are more at risk from their own actions than from a young lady with a message.

Well done to the jockey who paid tribute to her.

Emily may she rest in peace, was demonised by some politicians and by some elements of the media, after she died.

The great British public voted with their feet and flocked to the London Funeral.

Others lined the route of the the train standing at stations to pay there respects.

In Morpeth crowds gathered to pay witness and respect to a lady who has been described as a local hero.

I guess nothing has changed, there are still elements who do not understand why she did what she did.

I feel that horse racing is dangerous, but I also think the jockeys and horses are more at risk from their own actions than from a young lady with a message.

Well done to the jockey who paid tribute to her.

...... and the actions of that young lady with a message really increased those risks several fold.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now